Another Hardware Issue

Sasquatch

I've just spent the night installing a new board in my PC and the fucker won't go. I've already had a ballache getting the thing, probably one of the last H61 chipset boards ever to be made and now after all the fiddling with single pin connectors etc. nothing happens. the CPU fan goes but no graphics of any sort come up not even the board logo page or anything else. 

There's no POST bep though I'm not sure there would be one anyway and no LEDs on the board to light up so there's no other way of telling if it's a dud or not. If so it would be the second Asus board I've had that didn't work at all.

I'm off to bed for an hour or two so no hurry.

Cheers Sas.

He's not got to that point yet bud, he can't boot the bugger. Sas my mobo has pin connectors for the onboard speaker, hence i won't hear POST unless it's connected (I'm also LGA1155 which I assume you are). Don't suppose that's the same with you?

• Like 2

imake doub;le sure all the power connectors are in the right place , make sure the ram is properly seated and he right sort , this would cause it not to 'beep' .. disconnect hard drive and try with just ram/cpu 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, northern_soul said:

He's not got to that point yet bud, he can't boot the bugger.

Some folks install the software and drivers before they install the hardware. :) I'd shut everything off and remove the card then see if it boots up ok without it, then install the drivers and software, then switch all the hdmi cables to the new card and try reboot. If still no joy, try another pcie slot. hth 

Northern Soul is right Saddam there's nothing at all and the seller didn't send me a driver disc anyway. Boards always come with a BIOS and drivers of some sort loaded.

The system audio is connected though I've never noticed a speaker in the case and nor are there any LEDs evident despite their being leads for them. I've correctly connected the reset/restart button but that doesn't work though the power button does so either the case is missing hardware it's got leads for or something's up with the board.

There's a fiddly little jumper for clearing the board RAM and CMOS so I will give that a try then all the other clock battery etc. things then the connectors.

Back later thanks all.

• Like 1

Speaker won't be in the case bud, it'd have been bundled with the motherboard.

Also yep defo worth a shot on your latter suggestion, clear CMOS by removing battery :¬) Hope you work it out!

• Like 1

I would be trying different hardware changes. Cmos Battery. Ram. If you're using gfx card remove that and try on board. You get the idea. I've never seen a bios fail to boot up. Motherboard might be fucked but I would rule that out until I'd gone through the hardware changes. Try one stick of ram if there's a couple in there. Different monitors, different cables. Does your monitor tell you whether it's recieving a signal? Failing all that I would strip the whole thing down and rebuild it step by step. Then try and boot it up from bare essentials to see if I got the boot screen. This is why I hate computers. I always manage to get them working but my method is more Edisonesque where I try 10,000 different things to make it work. More luck than anything. I hate fixing computers lol

Good luck mate.

• Like 3

Thanks Blayz'd I thought I ould try the clock battery thing again then try without RAM cards then without PCI cards until I'm down to the bare bones. 

50 minutes ago, Blayz'd said:

Does your monitor tell you whether it's recieving a signal?

Yes and it isn't.

8 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Thanks Blayz'd I thought I ould try the clock battery thing again then try without RAM cards then without PCI cards until I'm down to the bare bones. 

Yes and it isn't.

If you're trying to run it with graphics cards take them/it out and run it off the onboard connections. If possible try both HMDI and VGA connections. Sometimes I need my old VGA monitor to run things until I've installed my display drivers. On my new screen, on HDMI, it comes up no signal when the drivers for the display aren't installed on the system. For some reason that VGA pin connector works on standard oldschool monitor when the HDMI doesn't.

• Like 1

Glad to see someone else is up at this hour!  I tried the real time clock jumper which made no difference. I tried with graphics card and RAM out then with PCI cards out too and still nothing.

Up to removing the card I was trying each boot with the screen lead plugged into first card then board and no difference. There's no OS at all on the SSD so drivers shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe it's just a dud board, I had a similar problem with a 775 socket Asus and ended up getting a refund so it must have been the board not me. I think I've exhausted all the fault finding options.

• Like 1

I ordered a board and the seller phoned to tell me they had a slightly different one, a revision, so I said to send that. however a completely different model with different specs arrived and got sent back.They must have had one of the model I ordered for them to know it was slightly different from the original, so what happened to that?

They did at least email me to let me know they had got hold of some of this model  which was helpful considering all the manufacturers are ceasing production of H61 boards but with my luck I ended up with a faulty one.

I'm blaming the board, the only other possibility is the CPU not being seated right but that's nearly impossible and I'm confident  it's OK. I suppose they will want to test it before paying out or replacing, and in that time they will have sold all the others and the factory will be making phones. :wallbash:

• 2 weeks later...

The seller insisted it was probably the CPU not being seated right and were right too, when I had a closer look there was a row of socket pins visible and it wasn't 100% rigid in the socket. As I lifted the CPU off the board some excess thermal paste dropped onto the socket, I didn't think to just leave the board propped upside down overnight to see if it dropped off I just picked it off with an insulin syringe needle, which wrecked some pins. Didn't notice anything happening at the time but they looked different under a magnifying glass and when I sent the seller some photos they told me it was beyond repair.

So that's that, knackered the board myself in a dumb accident and now have to stump up for a new one. It was probably in good working order too. At lest the seller offered that if I buy from them they will seat the CPU precisely, stress test the board and send it on to me assembled and ready to go, all free. That's good of hem and I couldn't countenance damaging another board so I will take them up on that. They are even holding on to a Gigabyte board for when I order which is helpful because H61 boards are now in very short supply as are the other second generation i-series chipsets so if you are thinking of upgrading a Sandy Bridge CPU get the board in quick.

Hopefully once the Giro is in I will have a happy ending to post !

• Like 2

The seller could have cut you a deal there imo, but at least they are being helpful.

fingers crossed.

Edited by Bird
  • Like 1