Science Papers

Cursed

So i was just wondering if it would be useful to have a thread running where people who have access to peer reviewed published articles could run a list of the things they have or have access to and then people could search it and request a copy.

Studying for uni i have found it difficult sometimes to get access to papers without paying through the nose for them and if there were someone willing to share it would make life easier.

So this post was to discuss any potential pit falls that might be apparent before i actually do it.

Would copyright be an issue i.e. would it possibly impact or comeback on the site if this were to happen?

would people actually use it? i mean it would be helpful to people studying science but i thought it could also be useful to those just showing an interest ina subject

are there any other logical or obvious problems i haven't identified?

what do people think?

i've put this here as we don't have a science section, so is this the appropriate place for such a thread or should i put it somewhere else?

Edited by Cursed
  • Like 5

I have access to an incredible amount of material, the whole IEEE digital library, basically any BS and EN standards along with many IEC standards

You find that your University limits your subscriptions to topics relevant in your field so I can get a lot of physics stuff and some chemistry but every now and again you hit the not in your subscription dilemma

Are you a PhD student @Cursed?, PhD students get the most bang for their buck but it is highly dependant on what your institution deems relevant

Same with software (I am engineering so many arent as reliant on high end software) I can get some fukin crazy price tag software, Matlab for instance I get for nothing and it would cost about 100k to get al the toolboxes and add ons (I priced it for commercial use!)

One thing that is an unknown to me regarding posting up papers on a stoners board is digital signatures, I would be more than a tad paranoid that they are digitally signed and theres actually a trace back to your door, I havent actually looked into it but its down there for dancing innit

:yinyang:

Edit

as we don't have a science section

I think we should have a science section, the advancements are crazy, I was reading yesterday they discovered another state of matter, time crystals IIRC

Maybe that should be the next section we get?, we have Metaphysics and Philosophy so we should have Science IMO

Edited by Davey Jones
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Davey Jones said:

You find that your University limits your subscriptions to topics relevant in your field so I can get a lot of physics stuff and some chemistry but every now and again you hit the not in your subscription dilemma

hey davey, thanks for the response.

this is sort of one of the issues i've run into. I'm studying biology so have access to a huge amount of biology papers but if i want to move outside of that remit it starts getting harder to get access and sometimes the hard sciences are relevant to what i want to say.

one thing that made me think about this was the discussion regarding mycelium in cambiums tree thread. I'm a member of the british mycological society and pay for access to all of the journals they have ever published. Interested in mushrooms i can get you the science lol 

3 minutes ago, Davey Jones said:

Are you a PhD student @Cursed?, PhD students get the most bang for their buck but it is highly dependant on what your institution deems relevant

lowly undergraduate lol phd is the dream, years of hardwork yet. I'm finding i actually enjoy reading papers for fun.

5 minutes ago, Davey Jones said:

One thing that is an unknown to me regarding posting up papers on a stoners board is digital signatures, I would be more than a tad paranoid that they are digitally signed and theres actually a trace back to your door, I havent actually looked into it but its down there for dancing innit

This is the sort of thing i was a little worried about. which is why i thought of running lists and then someone requesting something here that could then be sent via pm and/or email and then how traceable would it actually be?

• Like 1

Biology is the least advanced (in terms of human understanding) of all the sciences, how the fuk chemicals became self replicating is a mystery that has some understanding, they have made chemicals self replicate, how it then goes on to become conscious is one of the biggest mysteries that there is, up there with the hardest questions of all

Its a fascinating subject with an enormous requirement for young brilliant and enthusiastic minds to ponder, not my area though I like the hard rules to build upon lol

Reading papers can be fun but your opinion on this is likely to change, its when you read a paper, try to implement it and it doesnt fukin work, you realise the quality of research papers is surprisingly quite often very poor, there is a lot of incestuous stuff where incorrect results are copied into other work and a lot of confusion then entails

If you wanna do a PhD then you just keep going mate, anyone can do anything and you have a picture in ya mind right now about how hard it is and your not good enough bla bla but when you actually get onto the course you realise its probably easier to do because you dont get lumbered doing garbage you arent interested in, your PhD subject should be something you are massively interested in so its not boring anymore and it helps enormously with motivation. No exams or dumb ass tests, not many lectures are required just an enormous pile of shite that you need to get through however you can. Working from home suits me down to the ground, I can smoke as much green as my chest can take and just progress at a much faster rate however I have all the equipment I could ever dream about so I am lucky to be able to do it, most engineering students dont even have a scope so they are fuked on the working from home front. All subjects are different though

I have no idea on the digital signatures point, I am just a low life hardware guy and it is a question for a computer science student (we could probably google it though!) its just my stoned mind thinking it through, its exactly the same thing as using a GCMS machine to measure some drugs!, do the machines keep a record thats unseen? I would bet they do and it prevents me from being brave!

Best of luck with your studies mate, just keep on keeping on and you will be fine

:yinyang:

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, i11 said:

sci-hub.cc  for all your scientific paper requirements :v:

well that's ridiculously fucking helpful.

Nice one dude

• Like 1

@Cursed your post was music to my ears. I know from the mushroom thread your the man to talk to about mycellium. 

I've recently taken up mycology as a hobby. Gone a bit wild learning about cultivation of edible mushrooms recently and now have about a dozen different varietys of various mushrooms colonising at different stages 

Not to mention the fungal work I do with soil. 

I for one would very much like the shot at getting my hand on some papers on mycology 

Top man, great thread idea

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

@Cursed your post was music to my ears. I know from the mushroom thread your the man to talk to about mycelliym. 

I've recently taken up mycology as a hobby. Gone a bit wild learning about cultivation of edible mushrooms recently and now have about a dozen different varietys of various mushrooms colonising at different stages. 

Not to mention the fungal work I do with soil. 

I for one would very much like the shot at getting my hand on some papers on mycology 

Top man

thanks bud but i'll be honest my knowledge is still really limited. Cambium knows his shit with fungi. Having access to papers is helping though. I've just been reading paul stamets books and as many grow guides as i can find.

But yeah if you find a paper you want to read but can't get access drop me a pm.

i'm having my first go at an agar run, pinched a couple of plates from uni to see if i could colonise at home without any contamination. lol 

Edited by Cursed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cursed said:

thanks bud but i'll be honest my knowledge is still really limited. Cambium knows his shit with fungi. Having access to papers is helping though. I've just been reading paul stamets books and as many grow guides as i can find.

But yeah if you find a paper you want to read but can't get access drop me a pm.

i'm having my first go at an agar run, pinched a couple of plates from uni to see if i could colonise at home without any contamination. lol 

Agar is my next step too. Couple of relatively successful grows now of not so officially edibles so want to start isolating some cultures and making some slants from this current run. Bit daunting without a flow hood though but I manage grain to grain transfers etc with no contaminations at all in a still air box in a clean room.

Kicking myself for not buying glass petri dishes that I can pc with the Agar in its final place and instead having to do a sterile pour.

I've certainly come a long way from not being able to identify a liberty cap last year lol I must have 50 or more jars of grain/dowels/sawdust and containers of pasturised substrate colonising all over the place lol.

Anyway, I don't want to derail your thread talking about mycology. Its a subject I find I can talk all day about.

Thanks again for the kind offer @Cursed best of luck with your Agar. I might even have a play today with some aborts.

I'll be in touch if I come across anything but in the meantime if there's any help I can give ya just ask but if your reading Paul stamets you should be golden. 

Its all just clean clean clean and keeping it that way. Sorry, waffling.

Peace dude and again. Great thread idea if copyright police don't shit the bed

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Just thought I'd share this, as it's relevant.

Scihub. Basically it's 'liberated' *ahem* scientific papers, but Cloudflare have recently sacked them off, so avoiding DNS and just doing the dotted quad for now.

http://80.82.77.83/

Sharing this where I can in response to the recent news on them & fascists.

• Like 1