Question for computer builders

ratdog

I`ve recently fired up my brand new computer, built by a local computer shop, I`ve had it sat here for about 6+ months, mainly because the power supply was really noisy (I`ve installed the old power supply so that`s fixed) and the old comp carried on working so I carried on using it.

Now I have added my old HHD to the new one and it works fine in the DVD player port, both new HHD and DVD are in ports 0-1, ports 2-3 are not recognisging any thing, I`m currently running both HDD`s on 0-1 ports, with the DVD conected to port 3, I`ve googled how to resolve this for hours and getting no where, been into bios and can`t find a way to change the boot order, also the extra drives be it HDD or DVD depending on what is pli=ugged into port 3-4 will not show up in disk management.

please help, as this is driving me a little mad, i wad chufffed to change the power, and install the extra drive, get them working. But now with this sata stuff I`ve hit a road block.

anyone help me?

the motherboard is H81M-HDS

Have you got a club hammer or at a pinch a claw hammer?  Sorry not my field.  

Hope you get sorted...

• Like 1

@ratdog Could it be to do with your M.B having 2 X SATA II and 2 X SATA III?

Wondering if somewhere in the bios the M.B is setup to use the two SATA III as standard because they are more efficient?

Have you tried you HDD (one with OS) in the 2 or 3 port with no other SATA devices plugged into any other ports then loading the BIOS?

There also a BIOS update?.. Where you said its been sitting for a few months unused.

Also might want to check power compatibility with the older PSU you installed. I am not certain but there is an ever so slight possibility an older PSU might clash with the newer SATA III, not to mention a M.B does need a minimum wattage PSU, even a Micro M.B.

• Like 2

Firstly try plugging the newer hard drive into sata 3-4 to make sure the ports and the controller on those ports are definitely working.

Looking at this here.. ftp://europe.asrock.com/Manual/H81M-HDS.pdf in your bios (uefi) setup screen you go into Advanced, and then Storage Configuration, and it should list the drives.

If the newer drive works fine on sata 3-4, and SATA mode is set to ACHI (which it probably is by default), its possible the older drive doesn't support ACHI and you would have to change the SATA mode setting (on the same storage config page) to IDE to allow it to be recognized, however if you change SATA mode Windows will not boot unless you use a special command to prepare windows for the change beforehand (google this), you will also sacrifice some read/write speed (quite a lot if you use a ssd).

Change to IDE and see if they are listed in setup before doing anything in Windows though.

• Like 5

Thanks guys :)

I`ll have a look in uefi again for the drive list and see first, and try the new drive on it`s own in the 3-4 ports

Well fuck knows what happened, maybe doing the swap to port 3 with c drive woke something up, although it switched it`s self off at first, then booted up c drive in port 2-3,  so then I tried ports 0-1 with old disk drive and dvd, neither showed up at all.

Then I plugged everything back in as it first was with drives in 0-1 and dvd in 3 or 4 and fuck me if everything hasn`t just shown straight up in my computer and works perfectly.

Is it possible it woke up the extra port? I`ve messed with the configuration countless times and nothing changed until I forced the computer to boot up via the 2-3 ports. either way it works now, thanks for the suggestion iBMe , and thanks for your reply Greenvision :)

so glad it`s sorted, was doing my nut in lol

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 1

Ah one of them eh lol the mysteries of hardware configuration.

Fuck knows, perhaps when you plugged only the old drives in and nothing was detected at all it prompted it to do some auto-setup type thing on the next boot. :g:

Glad you're up and running anyway.

• Like 2

lol yeah, I`m learning that fast lol

Thanks again guys, didn`t even cross my mind to try it that way. :magic:

• Like 1

lol I've just put a computer together a fortnight ago. AMD A6 APU 4.1ghz, 4gb RAM, 1TB HDD and gigabyte f2a78m-hd2 M/B. Didn't have any problems, but them little daft things do happen lol.

Edited by indicatoker420
  • Like 1

Now you are taking the piss lol

I know what the last three things are, but what`s the AMD A6 APU?

power supply?

lol it's a cpu (processor) but with integrated graphics they're called APU's. A power supply is a psu mate (power supply unit) :)

Edited by indicatoker420
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, indicatoker420 said:

lol it's a cpu (processor) but with integrated graphics they're called APU's. A power supply is a psu mate (power supply unit) :)

Ah, I knew what a cpu was, you were just trying to trip me lol

Do you do a lot of it then? at least i know I have lots of help here for future reference :wassnnme:

13 minutes ago, ratdog said:

Ah, I knew what a cpu was, you were just trying to trip me lol

Do you do a lot of it then? at least i know I have lots of help here for future reference :wassnnme:

That's just the second tower I've built for myself mate, the first I did when I was 15 it's the one I've just stopped using. Just left aside now works perfectly still though just thought I'd do a new one after all this time lol. I've just done more on the lines of fixing things for people mainly mate. And when I was young I just messed about with computers. Installing all sorts of operating systems, messing with drives and ports and stuff lol.

• Like 1