Help with choosing a VPN

Seasick Steve

I'm looking to start using a VPN but struggling to find one that I'm sure is safe so if anyone can help with recommendations I would be grateful.

I've found one that I thought was suitable called Private Internet Access, ($40 for a year) reading the privacy policy it says "does not collect or log any traffic or use of its Virtual Private Network ("VPN") or Proxy." which seems OK but it mentions google analytics on the same page and says "Feel free to opt out with Google's plugin."

It's the Google analytics thing I'm not sure about so if someone could explain the implications of this. I'm assuming I don't want Google (Chrome or analytics) anywhere near when I'm using a VPN or that defeats the object doesn't it.

I use Firefox on a Windows 7 laptop but the wife often uses google Chrome instead when she uses the lappy which I'm not keen on. There's usually some google stuff running in the background afterwards which I close off in task manager but I'm not sure what it's doing, is it collecting info or some sorts?

If anyone can help that would be great :yep:

:smoke:

Pretty sure TOR sends your connection through all sorts of ports making no need for VPN... But, it isn't as straight forward as a VPN.

I can't recommend a specific VPN - I only use the one my work obliges me to when I'm working from home and that's expensive, thankfully, I don't pay for it!

Good luck!

• Like 1

Depends if it is just torrenting and dodgy man u games you are after, lf so use the Opera browser, vpn is automatic. if you are Mr terrorist then obviously you'll need more...

Only bugbear with Opera is you have to delete the cache or it becomes bogged up. So ccleaner or something like that once a day is all it needs.

• Like 1

"VPN Unlimited" is $29/£23 (reduced from $499) for a lifetime membership, not sure you will find cheaper that mate. Google stacksocial.

I use mine to watch HBONOW, it works a treat, whats yours for?

Edited by skunked-up
  • Like 1

Never really bothered with VPNs much, other than for work stuff, if you're trying to hide your traffic you've still got to route it through some random VPN providers servers. Why would you trust them?

I like TOR but even that's not secure, if the exit node is compromised it all falls over. I still use it a bit though.

• Like 1

I use Unblockus and cost is £4.99 a month, need a reliable service for over here in the Canaries and this has not let me down yet :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I use a vpn somtimes but I dont trust them with important info, half are probably selling your analytical data anyway, what is worrying tho is this email I got of a vpn Id used 

US congress just voted to kill the internet privacy protections approved by the FCC in the last days of the Obama administration. Your internet service provider (ISP) is now legally allowed to sell your browsing, download and online data without your permission

Wtf!!