Underwater/fishing camera advice

highgrower

Its my cousins 50th birthday soon - he has a little boat and does some inland lake and estuary fishing - he is terrible at it but its fun getting out on the water even if you dont catch anything.

I have been racking my brain or whats left of it to figure out what to get and he is into his photography as well and am pretty sure will enjoy messing with an under water fish finding camera - the whole kit - fish camera thing, cables, screen etc - i dont think it will improve his fishing ability.

After looking online, googling and reading some of the reviews i realise i have no real idea what to get and never used one of them before - im going to get it with other members of the family so have a decent enough budget i think and am happy to get something of quality which will last.

Anyone on here ever used one or have some direction to point me in other than amazon reviews?

Edited by highgrower

I have no ideas on a camera that can find fish but I do know that you may need some colour correcting filters. For my go pro I have red for sea, magenta for green water/ rivers and a pinky coloured one for shallows

tbh i have no idea re filters but suspect the kit/camera is designed for one purpose so wont need them - this is the sort of thing i was looking at is something like the - Aqua-Vu 760c kit - i did look at the aquabotix thing but way to expensive but looks cool.

Edited by highgrower

A go pro could be the way forward. They can blue tooth to a mobile for real time watching. just a thought.....

I think I want to get something which has a cable - im pretty sure if it was wireless after the first or second use it wont resurface. The decent looking kits have a 7" screen and look fairly weather proof.

Cameras are useless in this country, forget the camera, look at fish finding radar

Its not for the uk.

He already has the radar thing - its ok.

Give me a minute, I'll look through an old sea angler or two, I'm sure there's a device like you describe.

@@highgrower, how about the Savage Gear Waterwolf camera? Have a search for that, I'm sure there's another similar thing about as well, with built in sonar but I can't find it at the moment.

Edited by Captain Bonglington
  • Like 1

The sort of thing im looking is something like what Aqua-Vu or Marcum do.

e2a just had a look at the water wolf - yea similar sort of thing but i think that just records and you play back later - im after the full on screen + camera kit - also i think with the water wolf it attaches to your line so if it breaks bye bye camera?

Edited by highgrower

Aye, it does just record....you'd rig it up on a separate rod with really strong line, to be fair anything on a cable or line runs the risk of snagging.

I had a quick look at those aqua vu things they do look cool.

• Like 1