How I Make Cannabis Oil

NezA

• 2 months later...

@@NezA Great thread mate, very detailed, thanks. I've made oil a few times with the rice cooker. The first time I put the lid on and it bubbled up like boiling water. So I took the lid off so that it simmered because I was a bit worried about it boiling off too quick and also being more dangerous, and have done it that way since with the lid off. In hindsight, even though it's bubbling like mad with the lid on it shouldn't boil off any quicker because the lid is keeping the fumes in and only allowing a small amount through the vent hole. Does yours bubble like boiling water with the lid on or does it simmer? Reason I ask is I've heard most rice cookers go up to 220° but there's nothing on mine saying what temp it operates at. I'm just hoping it doesn't run too hot.

• Like 1

Excellent bit of reading that. I'm a gas plumber and have coils of 8mm pipe. Gonna build me one of these. Now to get some ISO

MistY

• Like 2

@@jadenugs

Hey mate I've never had any issues with potency trust me I no longer have the manual for the rice cooker I bought but do recall checking the maximum operating temperature and didn't see anything as high as 220c but can't say for sure what it is. However, it definitely wasn't a cause for concern. Also the boiling point for ISO is much much lower than water so a rolling boil isn't cause for concern IMO. An IR thermometer is something you should add to the shopping list though as you can check your temps easily this way.

@@MistYGr33n thanks man it took quite a bit of writing I'm glad people are finding it useful!

Keep it green

NezA

• Like 3

Thankyou :yep: @@NezA

It was a while back now but i also watched a few vids from moonshiners, making condensers etc.

This thread has just reminded me that i was to look into it lol

NIce info and appreciated :yes:

Peace :hippy:

• 5 years later...

thank you for taking the time to share this!

im intrigured - does this help with cancer?

is it used as prevention? cure or both ?

never heard of it sorry (new to all this)

• Like 1

Hey @Puffdiddy sorry for taking a while to reply I've been a bit busy today and I wanted to do you the courtesy of writing a proper response.

The whole reason I started growing was because my Dad got diagnosed with bladder cancer back in 2014 or 2015 my memory is pretty hazy. Once he was stage 2 or 3 I came across RSO in my research. It was then that I decided to get it done. It brought me a lot of peace having something proactive I could do to help. It also gave me one last project to work on with my Dad. We built a custom grow room in my loft to grow his medicine.

My experience was very positive the oil helped my Dad so much and in ways we didn't even know it could. The hope was always for it to cure but for us it wasn't to be. Dad passed away almost 5 years to the day. But what I will hand on heart say as a palliative medicine it was about the most effective treatment of all. It significantly enhanced Dad's quality of life and massively reduced the need for additional medicines for blood pressure and nausea and to an extent pain meds like morphine almost until the very end.

I do know of people who have beaten cancer with cannabis oil so it does happen. But no one really knows why it helps some and not others. It does happen but it's not as common as you would hope. Most have the same experience as me. Which on reflection as painful as losing Dad was at the time, with the perspective of years it was just overwhelmingly a positive experience. I'd previously lost my Nan and she had chemo and radiation therapy but no oil. The difference was night and day. If I ever get it, (1 in 2 now so more like when I get it) it's oil or bust for me.

I hear it's also an excellent prophylactic and some agree that everyone should be on a maintenance dose. So yes if you have the option to ingest full spectrum oil daily then do it.

I hope this helps.

• Like 11

@NezA thanks for taking the time to share you experience with me. 
That’s amazing, how much it helped your dad. I hadn’t heard of it , but I’m now very interested in making some, I’ll make a still no problem- couple of questions. I see CBD strains work well and that will be my choice but as it’s so condensed is it super strong? I’m quite sensitive to cbd and very sensitive to THC - I can trip for hours on small quantities of THC - so I was wondering if the process was a bit like concentrating or isolating the compounds that effect us or is it different in effect like that? 

Are there advantages in using IPA over 95% 190 proof grain alcohol? 

Just asking as using something fit for consumption over something possibly toxic if I fuck up 'seems' a sensible idea. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Goodbloke said:

Are there advantages in using IPA over 95% 190 proof grain alcohol? 

Cost and accessibility if in uk. If you purge it correctly zero difference. 

• Like 3

@Puffdiddy

No problem, so I'm not sure where the latest research points but last time I looked a balanced spectrum seemed to be the best option we don't understand all the mechanics at play so hedging your bets and taking massive doses (if you're fighting cancer) is the best play. If you're sensitive to THC and CBD perhaps a suppository is a better option for you there's no way to avoid the psychoactive effects of taken orally. Also for skin cancers you can apply the oil directly to the affected area. The key is to flood your body with the beneficial cannabinoids. Your assumption is correct RSO (or full spectrum oil) is highly concentrated and extremely potent if you opt for oral administration then building up to a higher dose over a period of time will help your mind and body adjust to the effects of the medicine.

If you're taking it as a preventative measure you don't need to worry about larger doses little and often is the key. Every day a small amount is all that's needed 

@Goodbloke technically 99.9% iso if purged properly will leave you with less impurities than 95% grain alcohol. Purging isn't at all hard it just takes time the key is not to rush the step with the candle warmer it will all evaporate away of you give it enough time. However this is the glorious thing about making your own medicine, you have total control over what's in it, and how it's made! If isopropyl alcohol makes you uncomfortable but all means substitute it for a food grade alternative. :yep:

• Like 3

@NezA  Thank you for posting this up mate.    I have been reading up on this very subject at present and will be having a go at your method very soon.

May i ask if you found any particular cultivar / strain to perform better or better suited to this method ?    

Thanks again mate ,  great thread :yep:     

• Like 1

Alright @OldFord mate,

It's been a few years since I wrote this but back then I was using dinafem's CBD cultivars. Obviously they're out of the question these days unless you can find some old seed stock somewhere.

To be honest anything will be better than nothing but I'd definitely go for an indica and something as close to 1:1 CBD to THC ratio as possible. I've also read that CBG is supposed to be good for certain bowel cancers so depending on what you're looking to treat CBG cultivars might be worth a look. My personal preference though would be to combine a few different cultivars during processing to maximize the entourage effect. Because we don't fully understand why it works/doesn't work hedging your bets as much as possible is the best approach. If it's Cancer you're looking to treat get as much oil down your neck from as many different cultivars as you can manage in as short a time space as possible. Keep it up for as long as possible. Obviously stay within the limits of what the patient can manage but really try to push the dosage as much as possible. :yep:

Edited by NezA
Typo
  • Like 3