A disk read error occurred

Sasquatch

We used to play British Bulldog as kids in the school playground, there was more booting,beats and punches thrown around than a gypsy fight. The PC lefty's have convinced you that booting is wrong! lol

@@Bird

If I read the problem right, the OS was on the SSD. That was why I suggested pulling every other drive from the system and leave the drive with the OS plugged in just to see if it found the boot sector and tried to load windows.

@

Sorry mate, reading back it looks like I came in and elbowed you out the way with my advice. That was not my intention, just wanted to make sure Sasquatch had got the BIOS 100% sorted before messing with the OS install. I've seen people lose all their files messing with the OS and it is usually me that has to recover them from the "I tried to fix it but.." crew. The best one I ever heard was, "I put the disk in and I ran a format option, I think, now it won't find Windows!" There is not a facepalm .gif big enough for how I felt on that phone call!

@@Bird

If I read the problem right, the OS was on the SSD. That was why I suggested pulling every other drive from the system and leave the drive with the OS plugged in just to see if it found the boot sector and tried to load windows.

Sorry mate, you are correct & I did misread it and was wrong in short. I have had very little sleep fwiw.

The only times I have installed an SSD have been in a micro PC or laptop with winblows, so they have always installed hanging on with their fingernails.

It was probably the mention of Windows 10, SSD and disc not recognised that made me think it was the same situation which it doesn't quite appear to be, when I read it back in daytime. :sorry:

@@Sasquatch, so when I gave that advice, as GP noticed, I though the SSD was your spare drive & not the boot drive. feel free to ignore at least the bit about boot priority (if not all).

Edited by Bird
  • Like 1

***HAVE NO TIME TO READ THROUGH SO IGNORE IF NOT NEEDED***

It may just be that your SSD needs AHCI but as standard your board will not choose it as a default setting.So boot in BIOS select AHCI save and exit then restart.

GreenPirate I have tried every last Windows repair option on the previous crashes and they didn't work, none of them.

The AHCI thing doesn't work either.

I will try the repair options again at least to see if I can retrieve the data from the old install on the SSD then maybe go back to 7.

If you want to get your data back without touching the SSD, download Ubuntu, make a bootable DVD/USB live install. Change the boot order to USB or DVD 1st depending what install you went for. It will load up Ubuntu Live without touching the SSD, it loads the OS into system memory only. When you turn it off, the Ubuntu install is gone leaving your SSD untouched. Obviously if you delete things from the SSD in Ubuntu, they will be gone!

You should be able to mount the SSD drive in Ubuntu and drag anything you want over to a new USB/HDD. Make sure you have the files you want and reinstall. I'd avoid Win10, it's still not fully supported by drivers and lets not talk about how much data it sends back to MS.

I still think your problem is BIOS or Hardware related. Checking the OS is still there in Ubuntu will help narrow it down a little more.

edit=

One last try if you can!?

Pull everything out, every last drive, all the cables, all the power to the drives not used. Try a different SATA cable, in a different SATA port on the motherboard, running from a different power connector from the PSU. Clear the BIOS, don't change anything and see if it boots. If not then check to see there is an option for Boot from USB, disable that as well! Make sure it is AHCI, it shows up in the BIOS. With this you are eliminating the possibility of a crap cable, port and power connector so it is worth trying.

Edited by GreenPirate
  • Like 1

My 10 install has been trouble free since doing a clean install after the anniversary update rather than an upgrade. As I have already upgraded it didn't ask for any kind of product key etc as my UUID (or similar) is already on file from the update.

Unless you can go back to 7 with all your data intact (eg from an image), it might well be worth a try before giving up on 10 completely.

I cant say I'm a fan of 10 but 7 looks quite rustic now imo. I wouldn't go back & I have the 7 images to give it a whirl. The biggest problem I come across in daily use are the video drivers it uses which are worse that the 7 ones for my computers, which are almost 10 years old now.

• Like 1

GrenPirate thanks I've got a Ubuntu live disc I might try that. I tried the port, cable etc. thing last time, it's not that. After all the hardware was all working fine up until I put this new HDD in.

I've given 10 more than one last try but I might give it one more. 7 might be getting old but at least it works.

• Like 1

I tried a system restore, didn't change anything. I tried reset and got told the drive was locked whatever the fuck that is. Last time I did a reset it got about 60% through it and then said it couldn't complete for unspecified reasons. Same as all the other rescues, every last option fails and it never says why.

I used an Ubuntu live disc and copied all the data I could onto one of the slave drives. I'm probably going to reinstall 10 despite everything I said purely because I've got used to it.

So I reinstalled 10, restarted and got another disk read error message. Boot stuff as before, no problems during the reinstall restarts, just same message again. Sweet jesus.

So I reinstalled 10, restarted and got another disk read error message. Boot stuff as before, no problems during the reinstall restarts, just same message again. Sweet jesus.

That's sounds so annoying. It took me a week to give up on my old 10 install before I wiped it so I know the feeling.

Do you not have another windows machine that you could test it on? I was thinking remove the drive in question, confirm that your system works fine without, (check how the mater/slave jumpers on it have any are set if it has any), and then plug it into a different fully working system (or even a caddy) - perhaps 7 and see if : it works, you can "chkdisk /f" or repair it and see if it has errors.

Edited by Bird

That's sounds so annoying.

Too right.

Do you not have another windows machine that you could test it on?

If I did I would have put at least one of them through the window by now. Perhaps that's why they called it Windows. It should be OK everything was there when I ran the Ubuntu live disc.

This hasn't made any difference up to now but the drives are not matched up to the SATA ports on the board as perhaps they should be i.e. the OS drive being on port 1 etc. So I thought I would rearrange them, even though they are arranged appropriately in the boot order.

FFS I just installed 10 on it again with no problems WTF is going on? I'm writing this on a 7 laptop (also starting to play up now) and I've got one of those USB disc reading gadgets which ought to work on it so I will give that a try, although the SSD was working fine up to now with no errors detected with Speccy and read/ write speeds just as good as when I first installed it.

Don't know if chkdisk works with SSDs. Thanks for all your help Bird, nice to see someone is still here at this hour.

• Like 1

By any chance are you overclocking your system? if so set it back to stock for the minute. I doubt you are or you would have mentioned it but still I have to ask.

I would start looking at the SSD for bad sectors, if it's not Win10 causing the issue, it will be the SSD. Running MemCheck from HirensBootCD would show any problems with System Memory, there are few tools on there as well to check HDD's. I'm not sure if he's updated to include any tools for SSD's but if not, check to see if your brand of SSD has any tools on their website to check for errors.

Or you could install Win7 and see if you get any failures over the week? If no errors, that would also point the finger at Win10 causing the issue.

When it comes to computer problems, specs and model numbers really do help. Sometimes certain hardware will just not play ball with each other even if they are meant to. Memory and motherboards is the main one that can throw a fit on you.

• Like 1

I'm not overclocking, it was running at 3.10Ghz when I got it.

The SSD was working OK recently, according to Speccy and CristalDiskMark. I've done memory checks recenty too. Both RAM cards are less than a year old.I could try 7 but it's not working at all at the moment anyway.

The board is a Biostar, not exactly high-end kit. The RAM is HyperX and the SSD is Zheino, a cheap Chinese brand which gets good reviews and it's only about 7 months old. The board is the oldest component about 4 years old.

I know I sound like I am saying try this and and try that but that is the way I diagnose a problem with a PC, start with the basics and move down the list.

If you are willing to try something else and have the hardware, can you try the SSD in another PC? Or try another HDD/SSD to install on?

If the SSD fails in another system, the fault lies there. If the spare HDD/SSD won't take an install on your current PC as well, we know that the chances of two drives failing at the same time are beyond rare and it could be BIOS/Motherboard/CPU.