Microscopic misadventure

The_Moog

Time I made a thread about the microscope :yes:
Here it is, I got it cheap, I think :unsure: It had a label on saying it was free of ebola but nothing about syphilis or anthrax. It has a little tungsten lamp in the bottom.

microscope

this is the head where the camera fits on with an adapter, I use an old nikon dslr, they're peanuts nowerdays, the camera and the stereo eypeices have different focusing distances which isn't how it should really be as fae as I know but no matter so far.

microscope

I'm aiming in the end to get an almost full frame picture of a trichome sharp all the way through so I'm hoping for some advice from anyone who knows how to use these things.

• Like 9

This is the first picture I took without the adapter mount just hand held, you can see where I've got filth on the sensor.

DSC 0220

These are with the mount, I have to set the camera white balance to tungsten setting.

Sweet Afghani Delicious s1

DSC 0019

On this one here I used the little torch on my £shop lighter to put some light in on the top, that's why it's blue, It's not me being creative lol

Haze

haze

This is my first focus stacking attempt lol not too good at all, I didnt spend much time on it though, I can see that it aint easy at all. Anyway I thought that trichome with the extra long stalk was pretty interesting.

Haze2

To get the full trichome shot I need to be able to dissect the fresh bud under the scope to get off a tiny bit that'll lay flat before I can focus on it, the close up lenses need to be so close that they move the bud when I focus so it's not possible to shoot a stack of different focus points.

I could also do with some top lighting really maybe some tungsten colour led's or something. :spliff:

Edited by The_Moog
  • Like 11

Cheers @@zero :yep:

To be honest the photos don't do justice to what you can see through the stereo eyepiece it's another world in there and once you've got the thing set up to work there could be any number of great pics. I wasn't too sure where to put this thread but I thought as there were other similar threads in this forum then here would do.

Cheers @@zero :yep:

To be honest the photos don't do justice to what you can see through the stereo eyepiece it's another world in there and once you've got the thing set up to work there could be any number of great pics. I wasn't too sure where to put this thread but I thought as there were other similar threads in this forum then here would do.

Yeah I can imagine , I have a crappy 10 quid USB microscope and even that is amazing , you put it on the back of your hand and you can see like tiny sweat globules in between the contours ...

its not as good as a proper microscope but still ..for a tenner

gallery_95564_11732_45775.jpg

thats not my hand btw lol

Edited by zero
  • Like 3

Cheers @@Comrade Stoker :yep: that's very good to hear and will spur me onwards to try harder it's high praise coming from a connoisseur of fine art such as yourself.

I really don't think the sensor is up to making decent quality prints over about A4 size but if I can produce properly good work out of this setup then I'll seriously consider the investment in a much newer body with a much better sensor.

Yeah I can imagine , I have a crappy 10 quid USB microscope and even that is amazing , you put it on the back of your hand and you can see like tiny sweat globules in between the contours ...

its not as good as a proper microscope but still ..for a tenner

thats not my hand btw lol

That's bloody good detail for a £10er outright though, you can see the trich colours and good detail on the pistl too

• Like 1

I used to use microscopes a lot, that type doesn't allow for much focal distance as they are designed to focus on a single layer of interest between a slide and a glass cover or an equally thin slice of rock. You can get adapters for some nikon that screw onto the eyepiece once you remove the rubber eye piece that allow the focus to adjust in fractions, best controlled with some of the astronomy software via a computer.

For weed under a scope I add side lighting as under lighting doesn't work well, there are some in my gallery that I used side lighting on, in the hash pics thread all are from under only.. side lighting can be anything you can get to work, like a lamp or torch

• Like 2

Love the pictures man, they looks great. They'd look good as a printed and framed picture some of those.

I agree,the blue one especially.I wonder if you could get some Fluorescein eye stain to work on the trichs so you could play with black light too.Apparently it can be used in microscopy,but unsure if it will take on cannabis trichs.

It interested me this,so I took a look and found a cool page about cannabis under the microscope you might like @@The_Moog here :http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexmag.html?http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artmay14/tk-Cannabis.html

And this picture of a bud is freaky as fuck but would grace any gallery wall with it's presence ,in my opinion :

image020.png

Good luck with the project

:lucky:

Gumbo.

• Like 5

Nice one @@distracted :yep:

I keep getting the bud stuck to the lenses, it did come with some glue and some of those little glass slide covers, the two lowest magnification lenses are really good and easy to use but the close up ones have to be so much closer, I haven't really tried with the closest, it's like looking into soup lol I'll have a look in to the adapter and software it sounds a bit more involved.

I've got a retort stand somewhere, if I can find my torch then I'll get it out, the bottom lighting is ok but it'd be a lot better top lit and less light from below.

The pictures in your gallery are excellent it's some of those that inspired me to grab the scope and looking again now I can see that I've got my work cut out.

Cheers @@Gumbo :yep: This flourescein stuff sounds pretty good, it might be useful for some other things even if it doesn't work on canna I've plans to photograph other stuff.

I've seen that picture before but I've not seen that site, :shock: they must have some kit indeed, I might have to make do with multicoloured led's for now lol

If you're interested in it then I'd say I'm really chuffed with it so far, looking through the two eyepeices is so much more immersive, you start wanting to look at all kinds of things. :alien2:

• Like 1

I agree,the blue one especially.I wonder if you could get some Fluorescein eye stain to work on the trichs so you could play with black light too.Apparently it can be used in microscopy,but unsure if it will take on cannabis trichs.

It interested me this,so I took a look and found a cool page about cannabis under the microscope you might like @@The_Moog here :http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexmag.html?http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artmay14/tk-Cannabis.html

And this picture of a bud is freaky as fuck but would grace any gallery wall with it's presence ,in my opinion :

image020.png

Good luck with the project

:lucky:

Gumbo.

that's an electron microscope pic with false cover overlay... nice!... the equipment costs a fortune and the running more, had the privilege myself but never had the balls to ask a tech to coat a stud in carbon or gold treatment with samples of anything but rock

Edited by distracted
  • Like 2