Strain hunters

VikingDee

How long before all the landrace strains are diluted by the pollen from new strains given that Arian gives seeds to these people who he visits on his strain hunts. I've got to say I enjoy watching their expeditions but you've got to consider that that will have an effect.

• Like 1

Couldnt agree more the so called "king of cannabis" is a fool and a strain theaf too he only cares about the money not the weed or its consumers lol

bless

@@Cheesebrutha does a great Arjen impression.....gets you fucking crazy laughing.

Love watching their expeditions but its nowt but clever marketing. As you say, potential harm to land races is only one of many potential probs. Think of the heat he, the Italian Stallion and the BoerDred bring to a place when they show areas known for growing on YouTube - nuff man is going to try and go there too and behave like a fool.

Some growers seem to appreciate swapping seeds so maybe they spread some good or help in other ways we dont see, Who knows - they're doing their thing and I guess its not to all our tastes.

Bless ups

think how good it will be though to have a landrace sativa x arjans haze no11.6 (pink coated) cross, so exciting

who cares about preserving local genetics when u can have multicoloured packs of seed

Edited by hashmaster3000

IMO this has probably already happened, in Morocco they grow all sorts, Mexican, Afghani, Pakistani, to name a few. Jamaica is the same full of Hybrids, Alaska is a really popular strain there and its a very modern type of weed. Pollen can travel a long long way on the wind. I guess there will be the odd isolated patches of some landrace strains but for how long...?? The Hash producers and weed farmers are well up on modern strains. I was in Ketama on a farm, his best hash was Isolator with Mexican Maroc crosses.

I think you would have to look hard anywhere in the world now to find pure landrace. I hope not but its the impression I get.

If arjan is playing a part I don't know, he's only does fems and hermi's so I bloody hope not. Only one good thing from GHS is Super Lemon Haze. I do like that one.

C :yinyang:

• Like 1

If he's giving out fem beans though, surely there won't be any pollen released? Obviously a hermaphrodite would let out pollen, but only a miniscule amount compared to a fully flowered male surely?

I've never bred a seed or even grown outdoor, so I'm just musing really, but surely a tiny bit of hermie pollen would just be absolutely dominated by the millions of huge full flowering males that are dotted around everywhere?

The local plants could release pollen that could pollinate the feminised plants @Pyscho Sid

I believe they have imported seed to Mexico for many years, modern hybrid stuff. But what tends to happen is the genetics become consumed by the landrace species in a matter of a few seasons, then import more hybrid genetics and start afresh. Anyhow surely genetics have been moving around the globe for centuries have they not?

It is however a serious worry to think about losing precious indigenous strains. It makes me happy that there are folk like the real seed company to redress the karmic balance.

;)

• Like 1

namkha is more worthy of the title strain hunter than that cunt arsejan , i hate the cunt and not just because he has more money than me and a no doubt hot as fuck dutch supermodel bird and probably ferraris ,plural :D hes a cunt without all that , cunty cunt cunt cunt , sorry for my offensive language but he is an utter cunt

eta, he probably nicked the idea of collecting landraces and exotic strains after he heard about rsc , i wouldnt put it past him, and that franco how annoying is that little fucker

Edited by hashmaster3000
  • Like 2

The landraces of today that are being "diluted" are the landraces of tomorrow yes it would take many years for the genetics to stabilise but I believe to a certain extent genetics are a product of environment.

For example Indicas are better adapted to growing in mountains. It's the environment itself that dictates the characteristics of a landrace. This is due to the genetic characteristics necessary to survive in a given environment are the only ones that are passed on in that environment. IMHO there is an argument either way.

Diversification is a double edged sword.

Keep it green

NezA

• 2 weeks later...

I believe this nefarious tactic has been done for years by skunkman sam as a way to have a monopoly on landrace seeds while diluting everyone else's genepool. Skunkman sam is another charlatan that should called more for being a underhanded shitbag !

• 1 year later...

I see what you are saying about Arjans seeds affecting the landraces, something I had not thought about while watching.

That aside, I know a lot of people have an opinion of Arjan, but the documentaries were a great watch and Im sure if 'ordinary' people, if such a thing exists, watch them it would completely open up their world as to how this plant has been the main source of peoples lives all over the world for centuries, if I dare say longer, and that it is not a source of evil as our higher sources of the hierarcy say so. Peoples lives literally depend on this plant.

Shame to hear about Franco too, seemed like a top dude.

• Like 1