Web-based diary and calendar

SamBell

Does anyone use an on line calendar or diary to keep track of their grow? I'm after something I can set future events for feed schedule changes, cropping, that kind of thing. Plus keeping records of feed levels, climate, or maybe notes about appearance.

I do understand the privacy risks, of course I won't give some web application provider actual personal data, and it would only ever be used over TOR. Any email requirements would be via a throw-away email service, and I wouldn't use any kind of alert system that steps off TOR.

I appreciate that cloud services can change ownership at any point, so promises about privacy cannot be relied on at face value. No matter how much they appear trustworthy, I would always use the thing like a Mail-reading copper is following everything I upload.

I avoid web-based systems if they rely on privacy-threatening technology. Flash is an absolute no-no in my book (and has been for years, since before Apple made that stance hip ;) ), many of the HTML5 browser features like geolocation or client storage I will not use[1]. I tend to dislike running JS, especially if there is any sign of tracking or analytics. These "picky" requirements do mean that I don't use many, if any, web2.0-type services, but I don't have problems with spam, malware, fraud. Or even running on the upgrade treadmill.

Even after that nerdy moan, do people have any recommendations for a site or service that offers what I might be after?

Cheers

SB

[1] That reminds me, need to get the awful camera and mic functionality stripped from my browsers.

Would be interested to know if there is anything like this out there too. I was tempted to write a quick program to help me keep track of things at one point. Never got round to it though.

Does anyone use an on line calendar or diary to keep track of their grow? I'm after something I can set future events for feed schedule changes, cropping, that kind of thing. Plus keeping records of feed levels, climate, or maybe notes about appearance.

I do understand the privacy risks, of course I won't give some web application provider actual personal data, and it would only ever be used over TOR. Any email requirements would be via a throw-away email service, and I wouldn't use any kind of alert system that steps off TOR.

I appreciate that cloud services can change ownership at any point, so promises about privacy cannot be relied on at face value. No matter how much they appear trustworthy, I would always use the thing like a Mail-reading copper is following everything I upload.

I avoid web-based systems if they rely on privacy-threatening technology. Flash is an absolute no-no in my book (and has been for years, since before Apple made that stance hip ;) ), many of the HTML5 browser features like geolocation or client storage I will not use[1]. I tend to dislike running JS, especially if there is any sign of tracking or analytics. These "picky" requirements do mean that I don't use many, if any, web2.0-type services, but I don't have problems with spam, malware, fraud. Or even running on the upgrade treadmill.

Even after that nerdy moan, do people have any recommendations for a site or service that offers what I might be after?

Cheers

SB

[1] That reminds me, need to get the awful camera and mic functionality stripped from my browsers.

Why not just do a log diary on here, it helps me keep track of whats done ... :oldtoker: Just see you not like that....i am a luddite

Edited by Arthur Mix

Guest mrtibbs

Create your own, using Excel.

Fully customisable to your needs. can be as simple or as complexed as you like.

Thats what i do.

Obviously be smart with where and how you store it. Mine is not only stored very securely, but would also look like complete mumbo jumbo to the untrained eye.

Pretty sure you guys could work it out very quickly though..... if you could find it, But you wont! ;)

Oh and personally i would NEVER store anything of that nature on any form of cloud, or on-line entity. Dont overcomplicate it.

Edited by mrtibbs

Create your own, using Excel.

Fully customisable to your needs. can be as simple or as complexed as you like.

Thats what i do.

Obviously be smart with where and how you store it. Mine is not only stored very securely, but would also look like complete mumbo jumbo to the untrained eye.

Pretty sure you guys could work it out very quickly though..... if you could find it, But you wont! ;)

If I was to go down the MS product path, Outlook would be much better, surely? Not that I know how Office is packaged or bundled these days - NFI if Excel users have a copy of Outlook, too. Last time I paid attention it was to copy work's MSDN top-end Office disk (with all sorts of shite, like IIRC Visio), avoiding the artificial product slicing-up rife with proprietary software has long been a big thing for me. These days I do it by trying to use FOSS primarily.

A spreadsheet might work though, but if I wanted anything more swanky than a list there would be quite some work (for me, I'm a bit shit with spreadsheets). I was hoping there was something out there tolerable I could rope in, instead.

Running Linux on the desktop I have loads of stuff that comes with the distribution. I have just found something on my machine that looks like utter over-kill, KDE Plan: https://www.calligra.org/plan/ , but it might just be what I want. Apart from saving the data right here with the grow.

Hmmm, I wonder if I could get some "cloud storage" (ie just some hosting, any old free shit would do as long as it had a standard file management interface) and mount it over TOR?

Oh and personally i would NEVER store anything of that nature on any form of cloud, or on-line entity. Dont overcomplicate it.

I had skipped over that I had had that debate with myself. I could indeed keep a file on a microSD, encrypted, and tuck it into a crack in a skirting board or something. But if it is found (because in reality it might get left in the computer, or something[1]) then the RIP Act means passwords have to be provided, or punishment.

With a cloud based service I need to know a URL, username and password. Using a specific browser and TOR there would be no records of data relating to a grow.

If the admins of an online diary site do realise what is being put there then all they will know is it is a TOR user. And even if the police are notified, they wouldn't really care for my cybercrime (or actual crime) of the century.

[1] That happens, but benignly, in Citizen 4. Glenn Greenwald's persistent storage memory card for Tails (the TOR-everything, amnesiac, live Linux distro) was left in his laptop's SD card reader when he travelled to Hong Kong to meet Edward Snowden. Had Glenn been stopped on the way then the card might have been very interesting, and even drawn attention to him actively pursuing very strong privacy.

Why not just do a log diary on here, it helps me keep track of whats done ... :oldtoker: Just see you not like that....i am a luddite

A diary on here is OK for a log of what was done and when, and results, but some kind of calendar would be good. That way it can project into the future, you have markers set up so you know what strength nutes they should be on, and when they need to change. I'd start with transposing the feed schedule ( http://atami.eu/wp-content/uploads/Bcuzz-BLB-CocoAB2.png ) to the calendar.

A diary and calendar as a book I think I want to replicate, but one impossible for the police to find if the worst happens. So keeping one off the computer is what I am thinking about.

Waste of time and a possible liability if you ask me. You can't foresee what nutes they should be on because you give them what they want, not what you think they should have so a bit pointless

Plus 2 grows are never the same so like I said I can't understand why you would want to

Just my opinion :)

Owd

• Like 1

Guest mrtibbs

Waste of time and a possible liability if you ask me. You can't foresee what nutes they should be on because you give them what they want, not what you think they should have so a bit pointless

Plus 2 grows are never the same so like I said I can't understand why you would want to

Just my opinion :)

Owd

I find it really helpful mate, Especially in a recirculating system.

You most probably have a memory span of more than 15 minutes, so your are just remembering what you did, but my memory is so poor.

Before i did it i once forgot to drain and refill my tank for over 3.5 weeks because i "assumed" i did it.

But yes i agree potentially it could be a liability.

Horses for courses i guess.

:)

Guest mrtibbs

If I was to go down the MS product path, Outlook would be much better, surely? Not that I know how Office is packaged or bundled these days - NFI if Excel users have a copy of Outlook, too. Last time I paid attention it was to copy work's MSDN top-end Office disk (with all sorts of shite, like IIRC Visio), avoiding the artificial product slicing-up rife with proprietary software has long been a big thing for me. These days I do it by trying to use FOSS primarily.

A spreadsheet might work though, but if I wanted anything more swanky than a list there would be quite some work (for me, I'm a bit shit with spreadsheets). I was hoping there was something out there tolerable I could rope in, instead.

Running Linux on the desktop I have loads of stuff that comes with the distribution. I have just found something on my machine that looks like utter over-kill, KDE Plan: https://www.calligra.org/plan/ , but it might just be what I want. Apart from saving the data right here with the grow.

Hmmm, I wonder if I could get some "cloud storage" (ie just some hosting, any old free shit would do as long as it had a standard file management interface) and mount it over TOR?

I had skipped over that I had had that debate with myself. I could indeed keep a file on a microSD, encrypted, and tuck it into a crack in a skirting board or something. But if it is found (because in reality it might get left in the computer, or something[1]) then the RIP Act means passwords have to be provided, or punishment.

With a cloud based service I need to know a URL, username and password. Using a specific browser and TOR there would be no records of data relating to a grow.

If the admins of an online diary site do realise what is being put there then all they will know is it is a TOR user. And even if the police are notified, they wouldn't really care for my cybercrime (or actual crime) of the century.

[1] That happens, but benignly, in Citizen 4. Glenn Greenwald's persistent storage memory card for Tails (the TOR-everything, amnesiac, live Linux distro) was left in his laptop's SD card reader when he travelled to Hong Kong to meet Edward Snowden. Had Glenn been stopped on the way then the card might have been very interesting, and even drawn attention to him actively pursuing very strong privacy.

You do whatever is best for you mate, but personally Outlook would mean more work than i need to put in.

Found a site called Canna Calc, cannacalc.com , but I cannot get it log me in. It just sits on loading, and the creation process didn't seem to complete, either. JS and cookies were allowed.

One clue is in the browser's error log I get localStorage=null, and I do not want to allow that, so maybe already my own pickiness is against me?

Owd, records being a liability is why I am looking at this in a way that hopefully means no sign of any records.

I know I'd probably be a bit shit at keeping anything detailed, I might just end up with a girly calendar in a kitchen cupboard, with some colour coded lines for when the schedule says changes are due. Labelled with medicine names, for extra obscurity. I know I should go by what the plant wants, but at the moment I am not experienced enough to truly judge. I am just sticking to the proprietary formulas, and as grows go by I will make changes. Just no idea what, yet.

Following proprietary product formulas whilst being critical of how proprietary computer products suck is hypocritical of me, but I know enough to know I don't know enough. Even if I am being ripped off a bit I still feel this is a good way to get reasonable results when only 2 proper grows in.

A pad and pen and a 2016 diary does me for dates and times really easy to use as well no logging on and stuff :bong:

I use a basic spreadsheet in open office format (ods) that I made a few years ago, which calculates veg and harvest dates if it's any use? Just fill in the yellow cells.

http://www42.zippyshare.com/v/k4GssarY/file.html

That's a really cool thing. Well, for a spreadsheet, I'm sure you understand ;)

But more sophisticated than anything I could rustle up, thanks very much for sharing it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Search for growbuddy. Based in colorado afaik.

Works on ipads, iphones, pc's and android.

Again - read up and be aware of any risks - don't just sign up on my say so.

Search for growbuddy. Based in colorado afaik.

Works on ipads, iphones, pc's and android.

Again - read up and be aware of any risks - don't just sign up on my say so.

Thanks for pointing that out, looks interesting. I was after something totally web-based though so there isn't something on my device to highlight there might be juicy details available. Not that I've got a device they provide software for...

Their tablet and PC versions (Windows only) store the grow data on the device too, a totally web-based calendar will hold the data off the user's device - a barrier that keeps grow records away from the grow.

A web based application, versus one on the device, can also be more easily stuck through a proxy network like TOR for extra privacy.