Deadbait Oil for pike? Yay or Nay?

Growing_up

Hiya,

I've got 2 days off work for a 2 day pike sesh next Thursday and Friday, and I've managed to find a spot on the canal that has been giving me one or two small jacks per session to sprat / smelt deadbaits for the last 3 visits, so the pike are there, it's just been a pain in the arse locating them.

I want to give myself every chance and I'm thinking of trying some Smelt Oil shoved down the bait's throat with a syringe, and injecting air around the baits front half, so it's sits on the bottom bobbing around like a little fishy beacon to the pike.

Has anyone any experience using oils with deadbaits? Do you think it makes a big difference?

Cheers ;)

I've tried them bro and I didn't rate them to be honest. Sardines,herring and joeys all stink and are oily anyway. Might help more with freshwater baits but not that I've noticed. The air injection definitely helps though, especially in the summer :yep:

Edited by SoD
  • Like 1

Blood meal. Theres an idea. I've had a quick search, but unless you are prepared to pay ridiculous over-seas postage, I can only find fish blood and bone meal fertiliser and I wouldn't think that'd be any good for the pike? I don't know, I lost interest at Chemistry as my teacher was a dick.

Have you used is @? If so, where did you find it?

@@SoD Cheers. I'll try one rod with it for a bit and see if owt happens. It is getting really tough on this canal these days to catch pike.

• Like 1

Abbertoir used to be the place to procure it but red tape prohibits that now...

And other stuff we still so..

• Like 1

Guest wurzel1970

never been a fan of additives ..

sardines work well for the big stuff..

on the canal go mobile , light spinning rod and keep hitting it..

if you wanna dead bait it , chop the sardine in half and bait two rods..

have a smoke and enjoy the action..

also chop a few deadbaits and ' chum ' the swim..

spend your money on quality dead baits , not snake oils

;)

Guest Morten Arthursson

I freeze a cheap tin of cat food and lob that in (minus tin ;) ) as i'm setting up, I spin with sprats x2 tied to trace using elastic sewing thread,one head one tail when tied,red thread if you can get it.

Tight lines

Pop up sardines are one of my favourite methods. I have tried the smelly fish oil but it didn't seem any more effective. Just cutting the bait in half seems to do the trick, especially with a little stick of foam stuffed inside to lift it just off the deck.

Smelt all day long IMO... Don't need any additives as it already smells enough as it is.. No matter how many different baits I have tried I always find smelt works best in all situations...

My fav set-up for pike fishing was a pike float with a smelt on a double treble about 6 feet below the float depending on the depth of the lake, especially in the warmer months when all the bait fish are moving around the surface.

GV.

• Like 2

Pop them up to varying degrees yes, but I wouldn't bother with oils personally. They're expensive, smelly and end up everywhere but the bait in my experience. Oil doesn't break down and disperse well in cold water either.

I found spodding in a mix of liquidised mackerel, canned tuna, groundbait and any old baits quite effective on my local canal, it gives a nice stream of minging fish bits dropping through the water column, but it's a big, deep canal, it may not be as effective on a smaller more intimate canal.

Edited by Captain Bonglington
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

most oil solidifies in cold water, it wont disperse into the water well in winter, Id never use any high oil baits/feeds until the water warms!

dj..