google chrome popup issue

craigfjyp

hey fellow stoners...

can any tech savvy people help me out? im getting a popup message when i turn my browser on, its google chrome i use and the message is saying.....

"this computer will soon stop receiving google chrome updates because windows xp and windows vista will no longer be supported"

does this mean i need to change to a newer version of windows? its vista i'm using now. TIA.

Yeah I'm getting it mate, they're discontinuing support for XP and Vista so after April there will be no more patches and will lead to vulnerabilities down the line, many fucked off peeps out there too in cyber land at this forced upgrade of OS (although I've read that Firefox will continue to support the older operating systems so another way to skin that cat) ;)

• Like 2

I wouldnt worry about it too much,its browser sales bollocks via chrome, im getting it on one computer running Chrome, the one im not uses firefox.

Switch to firefox if the message bugs you, when support stops nothing much else will change other than getting bombarded with begging notes to either upgrade or warning you the worlds gonna end if you dont. ;)

• Like 2

It will keep working without future updates but it will become more vulnerable to viruses and mail ware

Absolutely, the OS will be much more likely to be vulnerable to all kinds of malicious software.

the free upgrade doesn't apply to vista, the cheapest option would probably be buying a licence for windows 7 off ebay & get the free upgrade to W10 if he wants it, personally, im sticking with W7.

• Like 1

the free upgrade doesn't apply to vista, the cheapest option would probably be buying a licence for windows 7 off ebay & get the free upgrade to W10 if he wants it, personally, im sticking with W7.

Ah, i didn't know it was only for 7 onward. As they are allowing pirated versions to update, you could always torrent 7 or 8 then upgrade.

Out of interest, how come you are sticking with 7? (10 is a lot faster and looks 1000% better imho)

Edited by Jaqen H'gar
  • Like 1

If your on an old comp with XP or Vista it might not be worth upgrading at all depending on the age of the machine.

Very few older computers are able to run Windows 10.

MS is changing the dates as Vista is supposed to have support until 2017 and Already stopped support for XP back in 2014 so anyone still on it hasnt had any support since then anyway.... Office 2003 has had no support since either btw.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/lifecycle

• Like 1

Very few older computers are able to run Windows 10.

This isn't really true either, 10 actually does well on older machines, ive upgraded a couple of 10 year old machines and they run it ok.

It only needs a clock speed of 1GHz and 1gb of ram to run.

Edited by Jaqen H'gar
  • Like 2

This isn't really true either, 10 actually does well on older machines, ive upgraded a couple of 10 year old machines and they run it ok.

It only needs a clock speed of 1GHz and 1gb of ram to run.

Interesting and thanks for that

I thought the min processor speed required was 2 GHz or about 12 years old max age and anything prior to it will just throw up error messages.

I shall be real happy if i find itll run on my old dell XP lappie.. :)

Nice one

Now im gonna have to go

• Like 2