is it better to buy your own router

THE FORMULEX KID

as it says really, i was just wondering is it better to buy a router than the one you get from your new isp,

do they improve signal ect

Depends what they send you to begin with and what you are wanting to achieve.

If its just wireless signal then buy an additional router that can act as a repeater for the first router so you get better coverage around your house.

Also check with a channel sniffer program to identify what other routers are on in the vicinity and what channel they are on so you can set yours to the least congested channel. I use inSSIDer which is a nice free piece of software.

• Like 1

Hi, more important is to have a router which gets firmware updates. Not all routers do this.

After all the firmware security issues during the last two years this is important.

In my country not all ISPs give the customer the choice to use a custom router, you have to use the provided ones.

And about signal quality, this is not only a hardware dependency, it relies on many factors. If you think that the ISPs tweak their routers, I'd say no, they don't.

//RDK

I would say the general answer is yes, it is worth getting your own router so long as you are willing and able to set it up. But as said, check out which router is on offer before making a final decision. e2. it depends to some extent on what you want to use it for.

Edited by Bird

I would say no for what you require.

When you say bad signal i am assuming you mean the wifi?

First try moving the router (particularly if its in a corner) and pointing it different ways.

If that doesnt work, more info would be needed to figure out what to try next (how far are you from the router, how many devices are connected, what are you using the connection for, how fast is the broadband connection, etc)

• 7 months later...

Several friends have switched to Billion routers and report faster speeds, better stability and the ability to choke back their kids tablets (handy if bandwidth is limited).

When my freebie router dies I'm definitely upgrading.

• Like 1

Old thread, but I'd say no too unless you need it... Freebie routers are cheap shit yeah but they're setup in a balanced way that everyone can use. Rather than the router it's usually the firmware or admin panel that's lacking or just misconfigured.

If you run a heavy load or use network printers, IP cameras, media servers etc and want it configured your way then your own router could be a great investment, or if your issue routers just crap :P a standard issue router should do everything most users need though - a firmware upgrade can help if available. Just make sure the networks protected or I'll be using your internet for naughty things when I'm nearby. ;)

Edited by Anonymousse

My freebie router has an act for disconnecting now and again, watch me eventually buy a new router, just for it to turn out to be a shit isp or phone line causing the problem lol.