Save our Seabass! Calling all anglers & Diners everywhere&#33

Indicaderek

http://www.saveourseabass.org/en/home/

Go take a look, seems seabass stocks are coming close to critical in EU waters and fk all is being done to support them right now, I can live with the catch limits for anglers with rod an line but FFS! The Daft barstewards in Brussels aren't doing anywhere near enough to limit commercial fishing to a sustainable level in my opinion, especially when it comes to netting fish commercially as they are shoaling up before spawning.

Don't get me wrong I do like to eat seabass having done so on two or three occasions in my life and I would dearly like to catch a few for the table having never fished for them specifically but this latest EU dictat just doesn't make sense, limiting rod and handline anglers to a few fish when commercial boats can still net them by the ton every month stinks more of controlling the food supply and protecting profits than any benefits it may bring for the fish stocks.

For now Seabass is off my menu unless its sustainable or rod caught not that I can afford to buy it either way, I just want to be in with a chance of catching a few or just one when I visit the coast. I do however foresee a possible knockon effect for charter skippers who may specifically target them though from what I can gather you are just as well fishing the surf as booking a charter to catch em.

Please do support and spread the word folks. For me just another reason to GTFO the EU yet I still have mixed feelings on the referendum though that's an issue for a different forum section.

• Like 1

This is what happens when you have dickheads like Alan Yates acting as our mouthpiece imo

Ive been doing catch and release with Bass for years (Mullet too) because they are a slow growing fish that gets hammered every summer and stocks are noticeably in decline.

• Like 1

The sea bass has been actually been in decline for years not due to direct fishing, but due to the fact that foreign boats fished out all the sandeels, easy money as they were not affected by quota and could land as much as they want. the sandeels were then turned into pellets to feed farmed seabass in Iran. one of the biggest markets for farmed seabass is in Britain. Ergo - French make profit from our sandeels removing our wild seabass food, depleting our stocks.

Iran makes a profit from the seabass.

Britain loses out tenfold...

There is no such thing as sustainable sea bass these days...

Lose lose situation...

We made our bed, we better lie in it...

Sad....

• Like 7

Poor bass they take so long to grow as well! I think we're allowed to take 2per session but the place I go iv seen people leave with bags full coz wen thier at the spot thier usually in big numbers pretty sad really they should respect them not eliminate them

• Like 1

In all honesty I'm surprised at the Sea Bass being in decline.Ok i suppose technology has got a lot better the last decade.We can find the wrecks in the shipping channel a lot easier.Drift and plot etc,so were right on the wreck for the drop.But all of this is time consuming and risky,but great when you hit it right.IMO were over run with Sea Bass in my local area.They can be caught practically all year round now its so mild.When the Mackerel are running is clearly the best time but none the less i could probably find a wreck today and pull a few out.So why are we being put on a limit?.I reckon the next move is a rod licence for sea fishing. :soap: But i agree a brace is plenty.

Edited by icki

I agree mate they seem to be everywhere down this way you usually always bag a few what ever you fishing for! But I guess if the boats come in they would soon decline like the flatties have were the pot boats are using for bait sad really when thier is plenty of over fish they could use. Flatties n bass rock

Eta I wouldn't mind paying for a licence if I new it would help but whose gunna check and ino plenty wouldn't pay

Edited by Phucface

We are pissing in the wind, rod and line fishermen barely touch the stocks. At a mark I used to fish, we used to see a guy netting a Bass and Mullet nursery every night, with police looking on. If they didn't want to do him for the fish, they could have done him for illegal boat launching to stop him. They would mither anglers leaving the rocks to check fish sizes though.

I have never quite got the in and out fish size regs, Why put back schoolies, that may never reach maturity, and be allowed to take the fish that are already producing. It takes a long time for Bass to reach maturity, so by removing the breeding stock and leaving the prey fish, We are contributing to their decline.

Mad Elf

• Like 1

@@Embryo do you know what they are feeding them? This is the crux of the matter, I know that people have been trying to develop high protein feeds from vegetable matter but it ain't natural.

Also, is it sustainable if the antibiotics and preventative medicines leach out into the sea affecting natural stocks.

Is it sustainable if they escape and breed with natural fish.

Is it sustainable if they are exporting to the yanks. That's one serious carbon fin print. (see what I done there) :)

I do hope you're right though, I really do..

Will have a look later...

We used to fish a local estuary that boat fisherman asked the anglers to only take a fish or two back with them. In the last few years the bass just haven't been there, as they used to come up to feed on the mussels beds. Last year I didn't fish it to do my bit and this year I probably won't, instead concentrating on shore fishing or if I'm lucky might get a day or two out on a boat.

I think there's another petition or certainly a growing movement of people wanting to increase the minimum size of fish you can keep from 36cm to 47cm?

Shame as a line caught sea bass has to be one of the tastiest fish in our sea, but once again greed dominates.

Edited by Ital

I dont think there is any chance of any fish or ABs escaping into the sea as the quarry is inland i think (well as inland as you can get on a small island! lol ) but after quick google, it appears they are struggling so maybe not so sustainable after all :(

I think there's another petition or certainly a growing movement of people wanting to increase the minimum size of fish you can keep from 36cm to 47cm?

Do they seriously only want us taking mature breeding fish and leave schoolies on the off chance they make it to maturity.

You kill one mature Bass, you prevent millions from being born, you take a schoolie, there are plenty more and only a few need to make it to maturity.