UN General Assembly Special Session on Drugs 2016

twigs

so then, all considered in the so called Americas..

and the next meeting being brought forward because of the 'anomalies' in the top middle and bottom of the americas

and it being held in new york, washington where they have legal/decrimed cannabis

what do you reckon the score is.?

i've herd on the jungle drums that nato are to force a legal/decrimed system for the uk

(can't remember if i read this here or somewhere else)

what do people think about this.?

I don't think they will force anyone to do anything. A few people will gather and re-write a policy that has been failing for a century to make it look like they are trying to help the world.

Legalize.... No I don't think so. I hate to be a downer but I just cant see it..

GV.

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=363409&hl=

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=362782&hl=

I think the UN instructed reports to be done by all their agencies, and the results so far seem to be along the lines of 'we need to change'. Whether or not they listen to their own agencies that are telling themselves this who knows? The UNs current policy 'the war on drugs' aim was to 'eradicate all drug use within 25 years' but this was back in 69, and every year since, use has increased while costs have gone down (so the exact opposite of their stated aim). Now it seems thier agencies are all going down the path of.. decrimanilise personal consumption, educate and rehabilitate instead of crimanalise which is what happens now under the 'war on drugs' model. However well intentioned their aims were, they are failing...

But I think most reports say that the UNs guidelines will /should change to decrimanilise BUT... Its up to the individual countries to impliment any change 'IF' they want, and as the UK have repeatedly stated, the current policy is working apparently, so I dont expect change anytime soon regardless of the UN possibly shifting massively away from their current stated aims on worldwide drug use/abuse.

Edit:

UN Study on the impact of the world drug problem on the enjoyment of human rights

Summary

"In its resolution 28/28, the Human Rights Council requested the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights to prepare a study, in consultation with States, United nations agencies and other relevant stakeholders, to be presented to the Council at its thirtieth session, on the impact of the world drug problem on the enjoyment of human rights, and recommendations on respect for and the protection and promotion of human rights in the context of the world drug problem, with particular consideration for the needs of persons affected and persons in vulnerable situations. The present report was prepared pursuant to the request of the Council."

Conclusions and recommendations

61. The right to health should be protected by ensuring that persons who use drugs have access to health-related information and treatment on a non-discriminatory basis. Harm reduction programmes, in particular opioid substitution therapy should be available and offered to persons who are drug dependent, especially those in prisons and other custodial settings. Consideration should be given to removing obstacles to the right to health, including by decriminalizing the personal use and possession of drugs; moreover, public health programmes should be increased. The right to health requires better access to controlled essential medicines, especially in developing countries.

62. The prohibition of arbitrary arrest and detention, torture and other forms of ill-treatment and the right to a fair trial should be protected in accordance with international norms, including in respect of persons who are arrested, detained or charged for drug-related offences. Drug dependent persons in custodial settings should not be denied opioid substitution therapy as a means of eliciting confessions or other information, and opioid substitution therapy should be provided as part of a detainees right to health in all circumstances. Compulsory detention centres should be closed.

63. The right to life of persons convicted of drug-related offences should be protected and, in accordance with article 6 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and the jurisprudence of the Human Rights Committee, such persons should not be subject to the death penalty. The right to life should be protected by law enforcement agencies in their efforts to address drug-related crime, and only proportional force should be used, when necessary. Extrajudicial killings should be subject to prompt, independent and effective investigations to bring the alleged perpetrators to justice.

64. Ethnic minorities and women who possess or use drugs, or who are microdistributors, should be protected against discrimination. Consideration should be given to reforming laws and policies to address the disparate impact of drug policies on ethnic minorities and women. Providing training to law enforcement, health personnel and social service workers who come into contact with drug users should also be considered, to eliminate discrimination.

65. Taking into account the severe impact that a conviction for a drug-related offence can have on a persons life, consideration should be given to alternatives to the prosecution and imprisonment of persons for minor, non-violent drug-related offences. Reforms aimed at reducing overincarceration should take into account such alternatives.

66. The rights of the child should be protected by focusing on prevention and communicating in a child-friendly and age-appropriate manner, including on the risks of transmitting HIV and other blood-borne viruses through injecting drug use. Children should not be subjected to criminal prosecution, but responses should focus on health education, treatment, including harm reduction programmes, and social re-integration.

67. Indigenous peoples have a right to follow their traditional, cultural and religious practices. Where drug use is part of these practices, the right of use for such narrowly defined purposes should in principle be protected, subject to limitations provided for in human rights law.

Edited by ritchtbiscuit
  • Like 2

after watching for the last 10-20 years i can see it getting taken from the people slowly

by slight of hand..

MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay (AP) — Uruguay's drug czar says every legal marijuana plant in the country will be registered and tracked using radio frequency tags and genetic markers to make sure what's grown there stays there.

and this can only happen when its controlled..