Named Fishing tackle

The Villan

Hello :)

I have fell in love with Fishing :)

Feel confident enough now to go out on my own, if necessary. I do need a couple of items and was after a bit of feedback if possible :)

I need a Rod Pod (2 rod is ample) and a real good unhooking mat. I have trwled the net for ages and seen a couple that I like but a wise bit of input would be muchly appreciated.

Have been looking at the JRC contact pod and the Fox xl super dooper self opening and self closing mat :)

Vill

• Like 2

I take it you're carp fishing @The Villain? JRC and Fox stuff will be more than adequate for your needs dude. Do you really need a pod? More shit to carry, if the ground on your venues allows I'd go with banksticks, lighter, more versatile, in that you can point the rods directly at the bait to improve bite detection, or drop a single rod low, further back etc, and more stable.

Good to see you're investing in fish care too, personally I've always found a basic mat to be adequate, but a dog's bollocks one can only be good. Unless you've got to lug it miles.

Edited by Captain Bonglington
  • Like 5

Yes m8, am carp fishing, but I can't just sit and wait for a buzzer to go off so I invested in a waggler rod and a feeder rod and have caught quite a few nice sized fish on both :)

The three lakes I visit are a bastard to get a bank stick in anywhere, and have persevered up till now with single bank sticks, but am always having to keep propping em up :)

I just seen a nice carp cradle :)

Thing is I thought my sons mat was good till I caught me first 20 pounder, I shit meself when it flipped over and nearly ended up on the floor, poor fish, I would hate to damage them in any way. I also got a bottle of antiseptic to treat the lips and any other damage I see on the fish :)

Cheers

Vill

• Like 3

Cant remember the name, I do believe it was FOX, but I had a great fishing mat when I used to carp fish, it doubled up into a weigh sling and was very puffed up so it cradled the fish very well. It had velcro on it which came in very hand for pike fishing as when they get lively you could quickly wrap the fish to stop it from hurting itself, also very handy if the trebbles had got stuck and you needed to let the pike recoup in the water for ten mins to have another go with the forceps.

Good mat is must have IMO.

• Like 2

@The Villain, congratulations on fishing traditional methods, that's refreshing to see. Proper fishing man. Sounds like a pod will be a ballache though, it restricts you too much, maybe look at a system seat with rod rest arms and other attachments like bait waiters. Korum do some good system stuff. It keeps everything at hand so you can fish more efficiently.

• Like 1

Am getting mixed up I think :)

The Rodpod is for my 2 carp rods, I have a feeder rest and when I am waggling it's never still long enough to put on a rest :)Most places I fish I pay for two rods and have a carp rod out and then when I have had an hour or two with the other rods I will put a second carp rod out so that I can make a brew or food or anything else I fancy doing for half an hour or so, but then the carp rod comes in and I carry on with the other ones.

I am gonna pay for three rods next time and leave the two carpers in and I can still play around with the other two :)

• Like 1

Ahhh, I see what you're doing! It was me getting mixed up, I thought you were just fishing waggler and feeder, didn't realise you had dedicated carp rods out too!

• Like 1

@@The Villan Be aware that if you are fishing more than 2 rods in England you will need an extra rod licence.

Rod pods are handy for rock hard banks. You can pick up a cheap one on Amazon for about £15, but I made that mistake. All sorts of problems. Threads wearing out, paint chipping off, parts bending easily, not much scope to change the rod angle etc.

I upgraded to a Leeda Rogue rod pod. Not much more at £40, but much sturdier and well made. I've been using it for the last year with no problems. Folds up nicely into a 50cm carry case. You can pay £hundreds for rod pods, but at the end of the day, it just has to hold your rods steady.

For my unhooking mat I use an Advanta Beanie. Plenty of padding, and a raised lip to stop the carp / pike sliding off. £20.

Fox and Nash are good, but most of their stuff is ridiculously overpriced imo.

Edit Ah too late lol Tight lines ;)

Edited by Growing_up
  • Like 1

Yeah I knew about the three rod thing, but they did me a good deal in the tackle shop with the cradle and pod, so can't complain.

The pod is sturdy, my lad has given it the thumbs up , and he swooned when he saw the cradle hahaha

Cheers

Vill

ps am going out into the wild weather tomorrow to have a fish :)

Good luck tomorrow dude, I saw a really nice common jumping around feet from the bank on the end of the wind the other day, so they're still active and loving the mild weather by the looks of it.

• Like 1

its a fucking nightmare, i like the good name on my gear, (just because) but they should try to be nearly compatible with other brands, a inch here or there, fair enough, but ffs, iv just bought a nash 60in winter skin for a 60in brolli, that, after much pulling, tugging and swearing, don't quite fit my 60 brolli, bastard, its to big for my fox compact too, so now, lol the nifty named overwrap is fucking useless!

dj..

• Like 1

I have been very lucky on my start into fishing. An old boy gave me loads of stuff dirt cheap and I have only bought two rods at full price, both daiwas, a waggler and a feeder. H even gave me a mint condition JRC 5000 bivvy, sewn in ground sheet and double skinned, just got tent pegs for it so am looking forward to an all nighter soon :)..... maybe when I get back off me jollies, but am deffo going out fishing this weekend come rain or shine :)

• Like 1

Good luck tomorrow dude, I saw a really nice common jumping around feet from the bank on the end of the wind the other day, so they're still active and loving the mild weather by the looks of it.

I never made it out m8, something else cropped up that I couldn't get out of :)

I took the JRC rod pod back and have gone for the same one my son has, his folds up and fits in his rod bag, 1 less thing to carry.

Saying that he just got a lovely barrow, with all the bags etc at a real good price, so he can carry me stuff for me :)

• Like 1

Slight change of subject, but I went out Sunday and saw one guy bivvied up, with a fucking TV aerial set up....new one for me.that is. They'll be doing camo aerials next....