A USB drive that can kill your computer in seconds

KingBlueRizla

New Delhi: USB sticks for long have been the agents of malware and spreading infection to unsuspecting computer systems making them dysfunctional but still curable. However, a new type of USB device has the potential to damage your computer, completely.

A researcher who goes by the name Dark Purple has built a USB stick that fries up the internals of a computer system within seconds of being plugged.

By appearance, the USB Killer 2.0 looks like any other normal stick but delivers a negative 220-volt electric surge into the USB port and moves from the notion of software damage to a whole new concept of physical destruction of victim computers.

Dark Purple’s blog post explains that the new version of the USB device has been improved with twice the output voltage and is more compact than the earlier version.

The killer device isn’t only meant to burn down computers or laptops, but capable enough to destroy all devices with USB ports like TVs, routers, modems, and even smartphones with OTG support.

It is not clear how much internal damage is done to the device as shown in the demo video below. While there is an obvious possibility of the USB port and motherboard getting damaged, the hard drive or CPU have a chance of surviving.

Would be good if he made one that just destroyed the HD.. incase the law showed up and we needed to get rid of all the pics of previous grows and all trace of accounts on sites etc.. last time the law showed up I had an SD card in the computer.. hooked up to a 42" and playing a never ending stream of budshots and oil shots lol It wasn't good. As soon as he left the room that went out the window. Would be nice to just plug a usb in and destroy all evidence.

If old bill came through my door I don't think they would need my PC as evidence. I'm pretty sure they would have all the puzzles pieces they need with a single lift of the loft hatch.

GV.

• Like 3

in the days of 3.5 floppy, you could stuff a disk with match heads, and when it would spin up, start small fire from match heads.