decarb or not?

Guest OutOfAfrica81

Guest OutOfAfrica81

After some advice on making some coco-butter for my wife who suffers from colitis . I have a load of trim and popcorn bud from my grow which I put strait in the freezer after harvest . Can I use this as is to make coco canna butter or will I have to dry it first ?

Will I have to decarb the trim in the oven ?

I will be casing the canna butter into suppositories for her to use and have read that you don't feel the high this way but would still like to know what would be more beneficial THC or THCA .

I also want to make some canna cream for my arthritis and have read Danzig's make your own cream thread , will I need to decarb my weed for this to?

Edited by OutOfAfrica81

I also want to make some canna cream for my arthritis and have read Danzig's make your own cream thread , will I need to decarb my weed for this to?

I'm not sure about your first question but I made some cream a couple of weeks ago (Danzig's method) but I didn't decarb it. I felt that as it was a topical cream there wasn't any necessity to do so. I may have been wrong but hope not as I've already made the stuff.

However, it will decarb if you use it in cooking as the temps will convert the THC to TCHC during that process. You could use some, for example, in a stir-fry or for some cake etc.

Guest OutOfAfrica81

Found a thread on a different forum of someone who used his trim from wet frozen and had success with it making canna butter . Will give this a go next week when I'm off work and the house is empty as I here it can smell a bit. Will post some picture and some feed back on how it works .

• Like 1

drying it out isn;t so important for extraction. But I make a lot of edibles - I used not to bother decarbing in the oven as I thought, the weed is cured, it's decarbed anyway. Then I tried putting the weed in a metal pot and into the oven at 140 for half an hour first. It makes it about twice as strong I found. Also the weed turns brownish and dries out, so it crumbles easily, which makes me feel the extraction solvent can work easier. So yes I'd say it's well worth half an hour at 140C. Do use an oven thermometer though as 140C is like about gas mark 1/4 or something so you need to be sure the temp is right.Just my 2p from personal experience.

• Like 1

I decarbed weed that I was making into an oil, HOLY FUCK!!! The entire street must've known where the reek was coming from. If you're going to do it , put one of those cheap table top ovens in a grow tent with a fan and filter and do it, otherwise your house will honk to high fuck for at least 2 weeks, plus all your clothes will stink.

You have been warned.

• Like 2

you could always buy one of those food bags you cook chicken in .

de-carb it in the oven in a oven bag keep the smell locked in.

• Like 6

Guest OutOfAfrica81

For my first run I'm going to use the wet frozen trim as is to see how it goes . I could always just use the butter for baking later which should decarb it . I might use some of my cured bud and decarb that and mix it in with the frozen trim after doing some research into the anti inflammatory property's of THCA and CBDA

This might take a few goes to get right but if it helps my wife and anyone else it's worth the effort in the long run . And who said stoners just lazy around all day , I've been researching this all day :smartass: .

http://www.resinclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/cannabinoides_medicinal_ResinClub.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img843/8721/2in6.jpg

If these images ain't allowed I will kindly remove them :v:

Edited by OutOfAfrica81
  • Like 1

Not a bad idea mate. I reckon you could do the same by making a parcel from tin foil. The same way you'd make a parcel for cooking fish, only smaller.

• Like 3

i use them mate ,you can re-use them

Not a bad idea mate. I reckon you could do the same by making a parcel from tin foil. The same way you'd make a parcel for cooking fish, only smaller.

i tried tinfoil untill i found you can get 24 bags on ebay for £2.50 mate inc p+p

• Like 4

• 2 years later...