I have been suffering with Hyperemesis Gravidarum since the day after I found out I was pregnant. It wakes me up in the morning and is persistent throughout the day and has made this supposedly exited time very stressful and painful for myself, my partner and my family who have had to witness my suffering.

Prior to taking a pregnancy test I had no idea that I could be pregnant. I had been smoking approximately 1.5g of cannabis per day mixed with tobacco but upon finding out I was pregnant I ceased smoking both cannabis and tobacco.

The next day I became highly nauseous, unable to keep down any liquid or food and my body was (and still is) in a lot of pain from the continuous retching. I made an appointment with the doctor that day who diagnosed me with Hyperemesis Gravidarum and prescribed me Prochlorperazine. I immediately took one as the the sickness was so unbearable. It was only when I arrived at home that I decided to research Prochlorperazine of concern and I was thoroughly disgusted with the evidence that was sitting in front of my eyes. I discovered that Prochlorperazine Is an FDA rated 'C' drug, and I quote "A C-rating means animal studies show risk but human studies are lacking, or there are no studies in humans" Reading the list of side effects simply made my nausea worse. I felt disgusted and angry that I had been willingly prescribed this as a first option of treatment. I just sat and thought to myself "how is this pharmaceutical drug with all of these risks of side effects and birth defects safer than cannabis?"

I have attached 3 separate documents. All of which have helped me make an independent decision about my views on smoking cannabis while pregnant.

The first is a report on Prochlorperazine and the risks it can pose. http://www.drugs.com/pregnancy/prochlorperazine.html

The second is a first-hand report from PHD Student Dr. Wei-Ni Lin Curry, MA who suffered HG throughout her pregnancy and reports how she discovered cannabis as a medicine.

http://www.cannabis-med.org/data/pdf/2002-03-04-4.pdf

The third is the history of the prohibition of cannabis, why it has such a bad reputation and why it was criminalised and deemed a "dangerous drug" back in 1928.

http://www.drugwarrant.com/articles/why-is-marijuana-illegal/

With this knowledge I knew I wanted to smoke cannabis to ease my symptoms instead of the Prochlorperazine. Unfortunately cannabis is illegal here in the UK and I was instantly isolated by medical professionals and friends who thought I was being selfish and not caring about the development of my unborn baby due to the misinformation they had been given throughout their lives. I inevitably turned to the internet and used cannabis forums and google to get the information I needed but even in the cannabis-friendly community I was still being told what I was doing is wrong and found very little support and advice.

I am currently smoking 1 small pinch of ground cannabis whenever I feel nauseous. I use a water bong to inhale the cannabis smoke, although ideally I would like to use a vaporiser, but due to the pregnancy I don't have the £300 needed to spend on an upgrade. The anti-nausea effects and relief are almost instantaneous and last a good few hours, therefore I am able to eat healthy and drink plenty of fluid and most importantly keep it all down. I am still unable to get back to my regular routine though as I still feel exhausted and drained and for now I am spending as much time as possible in bed. I will soon write a more thorough and accurate presentation of this information when I am able to identify exactly how much I am smoking in (g) and the timescale between each bong.

All the evidence collected suggests that the controlled consumption of cannabis is actually beneficial during pregnancy instead of being detrimental or causing negative effects to either the mother or foetus.

I personally have never looked into the effects of cannabis during pregnancy but you obviously have and if it is as safe and obviously much better for you and your unborn baby then i think that you are an inspiration to all. It's the convincing other less educated mothers and fathers to be as well as the law makers of the land where the struggle starts. These big drug companies have everyone convinced. All the best to you and your wee baby. Peace Ts1

• Like 1

You can get a vape for much less than £300 , have a look at the vaping section here

I know there's cheaper but I'm only interesting in investing in a Volcano. I've tried cheaper vapes and I have done my research. I feel that if I'm going to spend money on one it has to be the best of the best :)

• Like 1

I know there's cheaper but I'm only interesting in investing in a Volcano. I've tried cheaper vapes and I have done my research. I feel that if I'm going to spend money on one it has to be the best of the best :)

Volcanoes are good but 'best' is very subjective. For me an e-nano is 100x better than a volcano, but thats for me.

I wish you and yours all the best. You sound as though you're well informed and sensible when it comes to making decisions, I'm sure you'll make the best decisions for your situation.

Growing your own or knowing your grower directly is invaluable when using cannabis as a medicine. Good organic weed is the safest weed around.

All the best!

• Like 1

Alright Victoria,

Have you ever thought about eating and cookin wit the canna? I mean I'm sure it's the smoke that will harm the baby, regardless of if it's tobacco, canna or just an industrial state smoke lol, but any smoke will be harmful for the baby, I would recommend either making canna tinctures or some space cakes, that way, you'll still get high, still have the canna in your system, without the damage on your lungs or you baby

• Like 1

Alright Victoria,

Have you ever thought about eating and cookin wit the canna? I mean I'm sure it's the smoke that will harm the baby, regardless of if it's tobacco, canna or just an industrial state smoke lol, but any smoke will be harmful for the baby, I would recommend either making canna tinctures or some space cakes, that way, you'll still get high, still have the canna in your system, without the damage on your lungs or you baby

Yes that is what I shall be doing once my girlies are ready :) I agree that inhaling the smoke isn't the best option,but at this moment in time I have no other choice. I'm not sure what to use though! Torn between using organic butter, organic coconut oil or organic olive oil... And then I have the decision of what to make!! Any recommendations (other than cakes)? Edited by Victoria2991

A couple of neaties a day is better for you than persistent sickness.

Better to be slightly stoned but properly hydrated and fed. Imho.

Hope things improve for you soon hun.

A couple of neaties a day is better for you than persistent sickness.

Better to be slightly stoned but properly hydrated and fed. Imho.

Hope things improve for you soon hun.

Thanks :) The thing is I'm not even getting a high anymore. I'm using such a small quantity compared to my previous consumption it has no high effect at all. As soon as the nausea goes I stop toking. My partner has commented on how much money we are going to be saving haha :)

• Like 1

Sounds like you've figured out what works for you and I agree, you being healthy gives your baby a better chance of being healthy and I'd take natural over prescription any day. Take care and good luck! :hippy:

• 6 months later...

have a read of dr dreher's jamacian study and research.. :stoned:

did you know that the first thing a mum does when bring a new born baby to the nipple

is give a supply of her endocannabinoids in the mother milk

our bodies are being denied an essential herb which regulates your entire bodily system

• Like 1