Amsterdam advice

Titch

Hi Guys

I'm planning on going to amsterdam next weekend with my grandad, it will be the first time for both of us and I'm after some advice.

Is it best to book a hotel before we go or can you get better deals if you look for one once there? Ideally we would also like to be able to smoke in the room if anyone can recommend anywhere? Also we don't want to be too far from the coffee shops and at a reasonable price, nothing too fancy but not a complete dive.

I have started reading though the pinned threads but there's so many to choose from I can't decide lol

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

I've only left booking a hotel to the last minute once and it cost me loads and I was miles from the centre so personally I would advise to book asap. It's not so bad off season but schools are breaking up.

The plus side is that the coffeeshops with restricted opening times willl be open all day rather than after 6pm. Check out Amsterdam Coffeeshop Directory for a map of coffeeshops and reviews.

I can only think of one that I've actually stayed in, the Doria hotel in Daamstraat is cheap but clean and ok. The breakfast is sparse and the rooms are small but it's clean, excellent location just off Dam Sq and cheap. When I went you could smoke in your rooms as well. They may well be fully booked though.

You could also try the Best Western near Dam Square or Rho Hotel but I've never stayed in either :unsure:

You could also look at staying out by the De Pijp area, some of my favorite coffeeshops are there and Vondelpark is nearby as well as Leidseplein.

• Like 2

I have stayed in the Best Western in Rembrandtsplein, was fine if you can get a decent rate. My room was non-smoking though. The neighbouring Schiller hotel is comparable in price and quality I think.

Get the hotel booked, if you can't find anything near reasonable prices you might try Haarlem. 20 mins on the train, cheaper and many coffee shops.

only turned up once without booking you can go to tourist information opposite central station. they found the hotel spinx which is the worst hotel ive ever stayed at. i would 100% book before hand maybe look at voyagers as they have a nice twin room for 75 euros a night and on top of a coffeeshop, worth looking at oldquarter or sister hotel or nadia or pax theres also the boat hotel place opposite nemo i think thats 40 euros a night and you can smoke on deck