banksy my arz

HEAVY_SMOKER

someone just found this board with a brush stroke and I had to laugh when they said its a banksy should be worth 10 thousand, well I laughed

banksy

lol this is exactly what I thought funny when he came in an announced to the room ive just found a bankys and shoed it to us man I was rolling on the floor

Banksy does my head in...Blek le Rat is the first true godfather of european political graffiti/street art, i dont think i have ever seen an original banksy as its all barefacedly copied from the master himself....

Why does Banksy stencil rats everywhere? Because Blek le Rat did it 20 years before that's why ;)

• Like 4

Guest bazzad9
Influence on and opinion of Banksy

British graffiti artist Banksy has acknowledged Blek's influence stating "every time I think I've painted something slightly original, I find out that Blek Le Rat has done it as well, only twenty years earlier."[8] The two have expressed mutual desire for collaboration; in 2011, Blek was seen adding to a mural begun the previous year by Banksy in the Mission District, San Francisco.[9]

Blek initially disagreed with those who claim Banksy has copied his work: "People say he copies me, but I don’t think so. I’m the old man, he’s the new kid, and if I’m an inspiration to an artist that good, I love it. I feel what he is doing in London is similar to the rock movement in the Sixties."[8] More recently, however, in the documentary Graffiti Wars, Blek took a different tone, stating, "When I see Banksy making a man with a child or Banksy making rats, of course I see immediately where he takes the idea. I do feel angry. When you’re an artist you use your own techniques. It’s difficult to find a technique and style in art so when you have a style and you see someone else is taking it and reproducing it, you don’t like that. I’m not sure about his integrity. Maybe he has to show his face now and show what kind of guy he is.

from wiki

That boards hilarious i paint graffiti and do mural work and its a joke how often im asked if i like banksy when i tell people what i do, or if im painting people will litreally come up to me and accuse me of being banksy, it can be fun to roll with haha ;)

I like a lot his work though its witty and cutting but there a lot of resentment towards him from the Graffiti community in the uk over him going over a 20 year old piece on the Canal in Camden by Robbo. Thats why all his pieces are dogged in london and often elsewhere because he disrespected such an old piece! Robbo's also been in a Coma for the last two years. Channel 4 made a documentary following Robbo up until his accident and aired it. but at they end they basically heavily implied banksy had him done in which is just obvious sensationalism so they had to pull the documentary of 4od.

• Like 1

Never knew about Blek le Rat, very interesting.

I can see why he's pissed off. It sticks in the throat when someone with a knack for publicity comes along and gets the support of the artworld clique by imitating something you have pioneered.

Maybe there are only so many variations on these things and some of the similarities are coincidence. Idk.

Influence on and opinion of Banksy

British graffiti artist Banksy has acknowledged Blek's influence stating "every time I think I've painted something slightly original, I find out that Blek Le Rat has done it as well, only twenty years earlier."[8] The two have expressed mutual desire for collaboration; in 2011, Blek was seen adding to a mural begun the previous year by Banksy in the Mission District, San Francisco.[9]

Blek initially disagreed with those who claim Banksy has copied his work: "People say he copies me, but I don’t think so. I’m the old man, he’s the new kid, and if I’m an inspiration to an artist that good, I love it. I feel what he is doing in London is similar to the rock movement in the Sixties."[8] More recently, however, in the documentary Graffiti Wars, Blek took a different tone, stating, "When I see Banksy making a man with a child or Banksy making rats, of course I see immediately where he takes the idea. I do feel angry. When you’re an artist you use your own techniques. It’s difficult to find a technique and style in art so when you have a style and you see someone else is taking it and reproducing it, you don’t like that. I’m not sure about his integrity. Maybe he has to show his face now and show what kind of guy he is.

from wiki

But how many people have even heard of Blek le Rat in this country ? A very small number compared to those who have heard of Banksy I reckon

Guest bazzad9

But how many people have even heard of Blek le Rat in this country ? A very small number compared to those who have heard of Banksy I reckon

i want really making a point mate

id never heard of blek le rat and googled it ,found the bit i quoted and thought it added to the conversation

ive no comment either way

Robbo was the man, there's still walls in Brooklyn with the King Robbo tag, and a few spots left in London that Banksy hasn't managed to destroy.......Robbo, Team Robbo! :king:

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
On 4/10/2014 at 4:39 PM, edd.excessive said:

That boards hilarious i paint graffiti and do mural work and its a joke how often im asked if i like banksy when i tell people what i do, or if im painting people will litreally come up to me and accuse me of being banksy, it can be fun to roll with haha ;)

I like a lot his work though its witty and cutting but there a lot of resentment towards him from the Graffiti community in the uk over him going over a 20 year old piece on the Canal in Camden by Robbo. Thats why all his pieces are dogged in london and often elsewhere because he disrespected such an old piece! Robbo's also been in a Coma for the last two years. Channel 4 made a documentary following Robbo up until his accident and aired it. but at they end they basically heavily implied banksy had him done in which is just obvious sensationalism so they had to pull the documentary of 4od.

Hardly sensationalism man. It's a plausible possibility. Robbo seemed to be winning that battle if you ask me. We'll never know what happened to him. Sad though, he was good. Banksy is a cunt for painting over that piece imo too. I remember that. Thought "prick" when I heard he painted over that. Disrespectful. Even the bombers didn't touch that and they don't give a fuck what they paint over. Just like everything else, there are unwritten rules and Banksy thinks they don't apply to him. I like some of his stuff but don't like him. King Robbo FTW man. Seemed like a nice guy too. More proof this world doesn't care about fair.

Show us something you've done mate.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Blayz'd said:

Show us something you've done mate.

Best of luck with that, he hasn't logged in in almost three years

• Like 1

Fuck!, I only went one page back on the art section. Where's all the stoner artists man? 1 page every 3 years isn't good enough. Apologies for resurrecting a 3 year old thread. In my own defense I'm smoking good shit and completely forgot I was reading an old thread. lol

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

I did graff for alot of years and he got on my wick too. Stencils are for uni projects and everyone knows they are easy.

But like him or not hes contributed positively to the world and stood for all the right things. Plus his work has improved now beyond my skills so hats off lol

My pals worked with him few years back  (non smokers who don't know i do) and apparently he spent the whole time blazing canna ejuice lol

• Like 2