Dr Ian Dunbar and Cannabis

Bhang Buddie

Dr Ian Dunbar, who (for those who don't know) prescribed Cannabis Tincture for those who required help to give up hard drugs, like myself. He did many Utoob movies in things that he believed in and he believed that cannabis could be used to help mankind. Back in the 60's he was the only doc looking to get people off, whereas many others (Dr's Swann and Petro) saw it as a way to treat people on a 'private' basis and make loads of money :oldtoker:

http://youtu.be/ZxS-Y3hDhbQ

If you want to find out more, suss out Utube and search Ian Dunbar -> doctor-ian.org

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Don't know how to do 'linky' things, so this'll have to do; I give you a readable (I hope) Doctor Ian Dunbar and his book :oldtoker:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=MdAhAgAAQBAJ&lpg=PA82&ots=QG42CB-2jw&dq=Doctor Ian Dunbar and Cannabis tincture&pg=PA73#v=onepage&q&f=false

Edited by Bhang Buddie
? just trying to get this sussed out
  • Like 1

@Bhang Buddie

Interesting, thanks.

Because of his association with progressive opiate addiction treatment I had assumed his views would be broadly liberal. I was very, very wrong about that :sadwalk:

@Simple Jack Totally agree, he was not one of your liberal looby-loo's, he was a straight on Doctor who wanted to help people stop using, he realised the shite that went with using.

When I first went to see him he told me that he'd help me and he gave me 500ml of Tincture, however I had to go back the next week and tell him I'd stopped using. After a week of having a 5ml spoonful in the morning and a 5ml spoonful in the evening, I no longer wanted any more injectables and that's what Tincture did for me. He carried on prescribing to me for as long as he could, however our Em-Pee's (bless their little cotton knickers) in their wisdom :fart: also made it illegal to prescribe Cannabis Tincture as well, as that also helped people to stop using :oldtoker:

@Bhang Buddie

So you were a part of this forgotten history! There is very little about him on the net (mostly from Sam Hutt), but I have always considered him an unsung hero.

Reading the excerpts from his book has made me somewhat ambivalent though. I hate to say it, but he comes across as a rabid McCarthyite.

• Like 1

@Simple Jack 

Know just what you mean, his book isn't the best in the multiverse and I didn't say he was a good writer, however he wanted to help, unlike people such as Dr Petro, Dr Swann and a certain Dr Lady Frankau, all 'private patient' doctors, which meant you had to find £10 or £20, just to get into the office and see them, then you had to find the money to get the script out of Boots the chemist.

Frankau used to dole out scripts, to those that had the money, from the back seat of her Rolls Royce (£20). Swann (£10) had these 2 dingy rooms in Limehouse and Petro (£10) the same just down the road in Poplar. With an average evening bringing in around 50 to 100 patients and Boots charging in the region of £25 per script, you do the maths. At that time I'd have taken a script off of Adolf if he'd been a doc.

Dr Dunbar thought that this wasn't the way to help and so he prescribed tincture however he did do all of this on the NHS and in the process saved a lot of people that I knew and me in particular, all he asked was that if we went to him we knew that this was ALL he'd prescribe to anyone and to this day I still believe that if you're strung out from all these chems, just try Cannabis Tincture - however that's illegal and, according to these 'experts', doesn't do diddly-squat anyway :rolleyes:

Sorry to prove them all wrong as I'm still alive today and I'm still a curmudgeonly old freak :oldtoker: Bom Shiva and now it's................................................Bhang coffee time :yahoo:

• Like 2