Been noticing a lot of debate on this site about the issue of limits regarding many aspects of cannabis cultivation. Limits on plants, limits on THC levels, limits on consumption.

There appear to be differing viewpoints. Those that want to be left alone to do what they want. Those that want to be able to enjoy their hobby without the threat of a knock at the door. Those that want to accept limits in order to enjoy peace of mind in their own home and those that rage against the machine.

I'd like to suggest that the whole issue of how we look at this issue is skewed in the first place.

Furthermore I'd like to encourage a change in attitude towards the issue of limit itself and how society as a whole looks at it.

Personally I think we should try and look at the 'limits' issue a little differently. In terms of safety to oneself and those around them rather than as a response to government attempts to control an aspect of our lives with which they have no business interfering with in the first place.

I think that some education all round would really be of benefit to BOTH sides of the argument. As a choice away from contrasting views bashing into one another and battle lines being drawn I see it as a much better choice.

Let me be more specific....

Let's say I'm an addict. In my case this is true. I am an addict. I will try and destroy all the things I love given half a chance. Doesn't matter what the substance/activity is I have and will try and abuse it given a chance. Booze, fags, weed, hash, work, sex, caffeine, gambling, food. I've been addicted and abused them all. It is simply what I do.

Who is there to tell me to stop when it is time to do the dishes/chat with my wife/family, go to work, have a shower, eat some food?

An addict will choose his or her addiction over and above any and all of the above activities if they can get away with it. Trust me. I know.

Who is there to stop someone from creating a fire risk in a block of flats that could kill many others and destroy their homes? Who is there to help young people understand the dangers of addiction and substance abuse? This related to cannabis consumed 'too much, too young' as much as anything else.

Where is the sensible dialogue about educating people about this issue? All I see is a draconian system designed to criminalize and marginalize. I see a lot of propaganda. Pushed by other interested parties. For their own profit. I don't see a lot of attempts to really educate and understand this issue. We are encouraged to be addicts in other areas of our lives. A coffee addict gives a lot of money to Starbucks. A food addict gives a lot of money to McDonalds. A tobacco addict gives a lot of money to tobacco companies and so on.

Governments all over the world have had this issue backwards for so long now that even people who actually know better are falling into the trap of debating the issue on the governments terms rather than in a sensible, common sense type way.

The issue has not and never will be purely about the substances themselves. It will always primarily be about how WE behave towards them.

I think that a little bit of honesty and education on this subject would go and long way.

i'll come back to some of the other points you make later, but this one leaps out at me lol

Who is there to stop someone from creating a fire risk in a block of flats that could kill many others and destroy their homes?

the answer to that is absolutely nobody accept for the grower

but then by the same token, I keep reptiles, quite a few and they all have heaters and lights, fans, misters, electric consumption adds up to several kw, who is stopping me from creating a fire risk that could kill other people and destroy their homes?

Or whos stopping the avid diy'er with a garage full of power tools or even the arsonist with mental health problems on the 4th floor ?

Edited by Joolz

Who is there to help young people understand the dangers of addiction and substance abuse

parents. :g:

Where is the sensible dialogue about educating people about this issue? All I see is a draconian system designed to criminalize and marginalize. I see a lot of propaganda. Pushed by other interested parties. For their own profit. I don't see a lot of attempts to really educate and understand this issue.

this is a capitalist world for us lot anyway sounds like the world needs to change first. educate and understand no its going to be contorted and confused that's how politicians work

i'll come back to some of the other points you make later, but this one leaps out at me lol

the answer to that is absolutely nobody accept for the grower

but then by the same token, I keep reptiles, quite a few and they all have heaters and lights, fans, misters, electric consumption adds up to several kw, who is stopping me from creating a fire risk that could kill other people and destroy their homes?

Or whos stopping the avid diy'er with a garage full of power tools or even the arsonist with mental health problems on the 4th floor ?

I'm glad you brought that up...

The point is cannabis cultivation is not and should not be a legal issue. It should be a health and safety issue. Safety for the individual and others around them being the goal. This applies to power usage In ALL areas. That includes maniac, arsonists with power tools as well Joolz.

Personally I think that if Cannabis was legal then there would be a lot less people trying to bypass their meters to be able to grow.

The main issue is that if they were to run electricity like everyone else for the multi Kw grows then the electric company would get suspicious and inform the police.

If it were legal then they would not be running this risk. Then its just down to the greed of the grower, as the electricity costs would be astronomical for these big grows.

@ I agree it is the parents responsibility to inform children about ALL of the dangers of addiction, a task which (in my opinion) is not being undertaken by today's youth of which an awful lot of them seem to regard a child as either a way to stop a relationship from failing or as a cool toy to teach how to swear cos its just soooo funny.

Most of the current generation are more clued up on the dangers and risks of drug taking than previous generations, so I don't think they need to be taught.

The most danger is coming from the legal highs that people are pursuing because the government have made a lot of drugs illegal which in actual fact would be far safer than the current crop of legal highs.

• Like 1

I've also been addicted to everything Reg including the dirty smack and I don't see how any form of limitation affects addiction in any way. I went through the old "Zammo" Grange hill don't do drugs era and I still wound up an addict. Each individual see's things in different ways, for some, anti-drugs campaigns are just an advert that piques their interest, for others it may actually serve as a warning.

Let everyone grow a smoke and build drug centres where folks can purchase and use drugs of their choice at very reasonable prices. Cut crime, cut overdoses, manage the drug "problems" and let people decide for themselves. :smokin:

• Like 3

I'm glad you brought that up...

The point is cannabis cultivation is not and should not be a legal issue.

I agree completely

It should be a health and safety issue. Safety for the individual and others around them being the goal. This applies to power usage In ALL areas. That includes maniac, arsonists with power tools as well Joolz.

so are you suggesting that home grows or anything else over and above typical domestic use should be subject to visits from the HSI ? :unsure:

No and no of course (forehead smacking smiley). Where did anyone (besides yourselves) suggest any solutions?

I want us to look at this issue differently. I think we have it all backwards. It should be an issue of 'how many plants can I safely grow in the space I have available without causing risk to myself or those around me.' Rather than 'what can I get away with and how much time will I pull if the rozzers catch me.'

Are you suggesting that people just get on with growing as many plants as they like (or can fit) in whatever situation they like, in whatever way they like, in any place they like without any kind of safety check whatsoever? A total free for all with no rules whatsoever. No carbon filter needed. Wire it how you like. Wave it under the noses of kids etc. Is that ok with you?

What about having a balance? On what basis should that balance be achieved? Once again these are questions. I don't have the answers but shouldn't we be asking the right questions in the first place?

Since you bring it up, what would be wrong HYPOTHETICALLY with someone from the fire service/building super/man from council/you/Superman/Russell Brand or whoever coming over and checking the electrical/carbon filter set up once a certain threshold for power consumption (for whatever reason) is reached? Of course this only applies to certain situations but the principle applies. It is an issue of safety for the individual and those around them. Nothing to do with the police and criminal justice system. It is a fundamental flaw in the way almost everyone looks at this issue IMHO.

Edited by Reg Lives

and who educates the parents?

aha.

there parents

with regards your last post nobody checks anything else that's plug in and go able in my house?

a total free for all no rules what so ever :fear: that wouldnt happen homes are different to commercial premises different rules

No and no of course (forehead smacking smiley). Where did anyone (besides yourselves) suggest any solutions?

I want us to look at this issue differently. I think we have it all backwards. It should be an issue of 'how many plants can I safely grow in the space I have available without causing risk to myself or those around me.' Rather than 'what can I get away with and how much time will I pull if the rozzers catch me.'

Are you suggesting that people just get on with growing as many plants as they like (or can fit) in whatever situation they like, in whatever way they like, in any place they like without any kind of safety check whatsoever? A total free for all with no rules whatsoever. No carbon filter needed. Wire it how you like. Wave it under the noses of kids etc. Is that ok with you?

What about having a balance? On what basis should that balance be achieved? Once again these are questions. I don't have the answers but shouldn't we be asking the right questions in the first place?

Since you bring it up, what would be wrong HYPOTHETICALLY with someone from the fire service/building super/man from council/you/Superman/Russell Brand or whoever coming over and checking the electrical/carbon filter set up once a certain threshold for power consumption (for whatever reason) is reached? Of course this only applies to certain situations but the principle applies. It is an issue of safety for the individual and those around them. Nothing to do with the police and criminal justice system. It is a fundamental flaw in the way almost everyone looks at this issue IMHO.

I really don't understand your point , of course most people try to be safe

I think the individuals own common sense/or lack of will determine how safe their set up is Reg.

If growing was decriminalised then of course many grow rooms would be safer as they could be checked/set up by qualified people.

But it isn't.

• Like 2

With regard to safety and fires. Being on a cannabis site we are privvy to seeing more news about cannabis than people who aren't on this site, I certainly have never seen a forum dedicated to cannabis news anywhere else but on a cannabis site. With this in mind, I don't remember reading many stories about house fires caused solely by a cannabis grow, and I've been here about seven years.

I have, however, on a few occasions seen stories of non growers causing fires that have alerted the authorities to responsible growers.

Maybe our paranoia keeps us safer than we think.

• Like 1