UK - Merseyside Cannabis Supporters Warrington protest (friday 26th, 1

jumpman233345

Only starts at 2.00. Warrington's only about 50 mins away on bus, should still be going on into evening.......

That's the spirit if it's still going on after four ish i'll be there ! ( hopefully get the date right this time :oops: ) :oldtoker:

Warrington Peaceful Cannabis Facts Protest 26th July 2013 By Jo Moss
Warrington Borough Council Peaceful Protest and Smoke Out organised by Merseyside Cannabis Supporters. Are you willing to stand up or sit down and be counted?
404261_255952564480617_93122334_n2-200x3Unless you were on Mars this week, as a Cannabis Activist or drug law reform campaigner, you cannot fail to have noticed the furor caused by Warrington Borough Council planned campaign to promote a lie, stating Cannabis is stronger than Heroin. With encouragement from NORML UK and the UK Cannabis Social Club movements, the Warrington Borough Council Facebook page sunk under a barrage of facts from cannabis activists, disparaging the lies and misinformation this council wanted to publish. The page itself was temporarily made unavailable under the weight of comments. What followed can only be considered a victory, for what happens when we all pull together and defend the truth.The council are going to postpone their campaign and get their facts straight. NORML UK have made a formal proposal offering to assist them with this, should they want accurate and factual information to disseminate.
Merseyside Cannabis Supporters have decided that the council workers of Warrington should not be able to forget their major blooper just yet and have swiftly organised a peaceful demonstration and smoke-out. This will take place in Warrington on Friday 26th July at 2pm. The meeting point for activists will be by the Golden Gates in front of Warrington Town Hall.
The organisers request that you bring drums and any other acoustic instruments to make some noise. They also request that you bring as many friends as possible. There is plenty of open space (and a large public park adjacent to the Town Hall), so they suggest that you bring a picnic and make an afternoon of it. Its also an idea to make banners which counter the councils previous claims, just in case the people of Warrington wonder why everyone is there!
I spoke this morning to the administrators from Merseyside Cannabis Supporters and asked them why they were organising a physical protest, and they replied:
“We at MCS were shocked and horrified by the claims and campaign by Warrington borough council – we believe a protest is necessary in order to disrupt their unscrupulous campaign against cannabis consumers. We see this as a perfect opportunity to get the truth about cannabis out there, and break the taboo and negative stereotypes associated with this wonderful plant and its consumers”.

Golden-Gates-Warrington-300x132.jpg
Golden Gates, in front of Warrington Town Hall, meeting place for activists on 26th July at 2pm.

NORML UK is 100% behind this peaceful protest in Warrington and hopes that this last week’s concerted and joint effort between members of NORML UK and UK Cannabis Social Clubs sends a clear message to other councils who may be mindful of trying to pull misinformation stunts like this in the future. If other cannabis clubs are organising a coach or minibuses from their area, please let NORML UK know and we will help promote the service to our members as well.
Jo M

Edited by Joolz
  • Like 1

Guest grandad

I think the weekly news office is opposite those gates, or not so far away. bank quay station is a walkable distance from venue.

• Like 1

I think the weekly news office is opposite those gates, or not so far away. bank quay station is a walkable distance from venue.

warrington guardian are already informed of whats happening on friday so lets all smile and wave at the cameras :hi:

Merseyside Cannabis Supporters To Lead Protest Against Warrington Council.

Warrington Council released a drug awareness campaign claiming that todays cannabis was stronger than heroin. They have removed their statement, with drawn their campaign and apologised. On Friday 26th July at 2pm a protest will be held at the Golden Gates in Warrington.

MCS are encouraging all cannabis consumers to rally together and sMerseyside-Cannabis-Supporters.pnghow a physical presence and raise awareness to the council. The council have now revealed that the campaign has cost local tax-payers £1,500.

It is worrying to think that by saying cannabis is more harmful than heroin that someone more vulnerable might go ahead and use heroin instead of cannabis, what would Warrington Borough Council have to say about that?

On the NORML UK website MSC said “We at MCS were shocked and horrified by the claims and campaign by Warrington borough council – we believe a protest is necessary in order to disrupt their unscrupulous campaign against cannabis consumers.

Shortly after the WBC Facebook page had to be shut down over night due to over 500 comments being left and the fear that they would not be able to control what was on their page for people viewing it. The campaign has had to be withdrawn.

“We see this as a perfect opportunity to get the truth about cannabis out there, and break the taboo and negative stereotypes associated with this wonderful plant and its consumers”and MSC spokesperson said.

The story has been reported in several local media outlets in the area so far so it is down to supporters to now make this story even bigger by getting out and making the numbers reflect the obscenity of the claims the council have made.

Merseyside Cannabis Supporters urge protesters to make signs to show passers by what it is they are gathered and protesting about.

https://www.facebook.com/events/620610347957032/

Barry Chong of MSC uses cannabis to alleviate the symptoms of Crohns Disease over more socially accepted and conventional pharmaceutical drugs, some of which are opiates (as found in heroin) such as morphine, codeine and tramadol.

He said, “I have never used any pharma drugs to control my Crohns and have always used cannabis with my GP’s full knowledge.

“I have seen an improvement in my quality of life since I’m no longer living on the toilet and the fear of “accidents” has now pretty much stopped through a healthy diet that is supplemented with herbal cannabis.

“I saw what morphine did to my ex wife when she underwent a hip operation and chose never to go down the avenue of “hard drugs” that the doctors would’ve prescribed me – life is good knowing that at the minute my symptoms have nearly all gone.”

dRUG-sCALE.gifOn the drugs harm scale created by the Independent Scientific Committee on Drugs published in The Lancet cannabis comes 7th in a list of 20 recreational drugs and scores about a 20 out of 100 for harm. Not surprisingly, heroin is 2nd on the list for harm both to the user and to others scoring over 55. If you look at the ACMD report also published by Pf David Nutt before he was sacked as their chair advisor for claiming cannabis and MDMA were safer than alcohol, you will see that cannabis actually rates 9th – so officially the Government say it is even less harmful.

Alcohol the socially accepted and culturally encouraged drug in the UK was rated as most harmful topping the scale reaching 70 and being more harmful again to both the user and those around them. Would Warrington Councils £1,500 have been better spent on a campaign warning locals that alcohol was more harmful than heroin?

Merseyside Cannabis Supports said “hopefully the outcome will be that more people in the area are educated in the truth about cannabis rather than being subjected to the lies that Warrington Borough Council have tried to spread. We will continue to campaign against this and other campaigns against cannabis and consumers.”

The campaign by WBC shocked me to the core due to the stupidity to even suggest that heroin is safer than cannabis considering that not one person in history has ever died from direct use of cannabis whereas heroin kills daily.”

• Like 2

Guest grandad

so far i'm running in time to catch 1.04pm train, takes 20 mins into warrington another 20 walking to the café, another 10mins waiting for lunch 2 mins to eat it, how am I doing so far, quick walking i'll be at venue by 2.20pm.

• Like 1

Guest grandad

it was a very nice afternoon, I think around 50 turned up. couple of local journalists turned up and took pictures and interviewed one or two, the police came and went a couple of times showing no interest in giving hastle to anyone knowing all were smoking pot, the aroma on the front lawn of the town hall was sublime. it was a wonderful chilled afternoon.

• Like 5

Guest grandad

i'm not sure if I was the only uk420 member who turned up yesterday, they took pictures but I don't think the guardian had a photographer, I don't suppose anyone on site knows the newspaper who took the photos.

• Like 1