Coate water swindon

uk420hobbygrower

I went up and done 48 hours on coate water the other day blanked, but have been told its a hard water as theres only about 100 fish in there but there are alot of nice big named fish in it.

Has any one fished there and had results ? if so what swims tactics wer u using ? that is if u aint on there next season and keeping all ur secrets to your self lol.

Or any 1 else looking at it next season ?

• 1 month later...

If you live local then the best advice is to walk around it as often as you can. Observation is key and you can learn the habbits of the fish. This will serve you well on any water you want to apply it to. Ive spent many hours not fishing a lake and just walking and looking oh and obviuosly toking at the same time. Coate is a crazy lake, by that i mean the contrast from the dam end that had the old diving platform compared to when you get halfway down the lake.

You fished any of the other waters in the cotswold water park ?

If you live local then the best advice is to walk around it as often as you can. Observation is key and you can learn the habbits of the fish. This will serve you well on any water you want to apply it to. Ive spent many hours not fishing a lake and just walking and looking oh and obviuosly toking at the same time. Coate is a crazy lake, by that i mean the contrast from the dam end that had the old diving platform compared to when you get halfway down the lake.

You fished any of the other waters in the cotswold water park ?

Cheers for advice, I dont live local but no some one who does, and hes done well on there, so I wont be able to take walks but ill just pick his brain as will be fishing it with him when I do anyway.

Na aint fished any others just got back into it a year odd ago but my mates are on about doing South cerney but the Lakes there are called wick, ham pool and a couple of others ?

My prob is have to take my dog with me on anything longer then a 24 hour session, and trying to find lakes that allow it is hard. Was surprised Coate water dont allow it when theres mad woman walking buy with 10 dogs and that lol

Yeah South cerney is a good call and so is Ashton Keynes aswell. Thats crazy mate that they dont allow dogs on coate as the ammount of peeps walking dogs around it is crazy. Never fished it but have walked it many times. I'm one of those peeps that where ever i go if there is a lake or river then i have to go for a looky see whats around

Fingers crossed for you and hope you manage to catch yourself the Resident (im sure thats what the biggie is called in Coate)

Have you read any of Gaz Farehams articles on Coate ?

Cheers for advice, I dont live local but no some one who does, and hes done well on there, so I wont be able to take walks but ill just pick his brain as will be fishing it with him when I do anyway.

Na aint fished any others just got back into it a year odd ago but my mates are on about doing South cerney but the Lakes there are called wick, ham pool and a couple of others ?

My prob is have to take my dog with me on anything longer then a 24 hour session, and trying to find lakes that allow it is hard. Was surprised Coate water dont allow it when theres mad woman walking buy with 10 dogs and that lol

Not sure dogs are allowed on South Cerney AC water mate,or ashton Keynes AC either.To be honest those lakes are so busy in summer you'd do well to get a swim on most lakes,although Whitefriars is 100+ acres.(And full of sailboats!)Used to fish these pits 15 years ago in their heyday,ruined by commerce now unfortunately..... :wassnnme:

Not sure dogs are allowed on South Cerney AC water mate,or ashton Keynes AC either.To be honest those lakes are so busy in summer you'd do well to get a swim on most lakes,although Whitefriars is 100+ acres.(And full of sailboats!)Used to fish these pits 15 years ago in their heyday,ruined by commerce now unfortunately..... :wassnnme:

The majority of the lakes around there and Oxfordshire have been spoilt. :wallbash:

Get on the rivers mate.....free to fish,unspoilt by comparison,wild fish and choice of swim..... :yinyang: And no rules about dogs,as long as no livestock are about....

Edited by Captain Bonglington
  • Like 1

Get on the rivers mate.....free to fish,unspoilt by comparison,wild fish and choice of swim..... :yinyang: And no rules about dogs,as long as no livestock are about....

Deffo top advice there mate and if carp are your target then the recent floods over the past few years have added alot more to the river systems up and down the country.

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to see some of the Severn residents that swam up a sluice in a summer flood and got stuck,before being rescued and popped back in by the EA......if I was a carper,I wouldn't be paying to fish Linear etc put it that way.... ;)

I was lucky enough to see some of the Severn residents that swam up a sluice in a summer flood and got stuck,before being rescued and popped back in by the EA......if I was a carper,I wouldn't be paying to fish Linear etc put it that way.... ;)

Too right mate Linear have been the down fall of a lot of the lakes in that area. Was nice and quiet in that area until they got so popular. Not my cup of tea for sure.

And its amazing how known fish from certain lakes get caught many miles away from the rivers :wassnnme:

Yeah South cerney is a good call and so is Ashton Keynes aswell. Thats crazy mate that they dont allow dogs on coate as the ammount of peeps walking dogs around it is crazy. Never fished it but have walked it many times. I'm one of those peeps that where ever i go if there is a lake or river then i have to go for a looky see whats around

Fingers crossed for you and hope you manage to catch yourself the Resident (im sure thats what the biggie is called in Coate)

Have you read any of Gaz Farehams articles on Coate ?

yea i cant beleave that dont allow dogs on coate ether, dont make sense to me, as my dog is keept on the lead or in the bivvy, she dosent go jumping into the water or allowed to eat people bait but because she might scare the ticket blokes there not allowed ????? Yea Ive read one small article by Gaz Fareham about coate but couldnt find nothing really, think it was on the korda site, but didnt really look to hard to be honest as it was the night before I went last. Think ur right on the resident being the biggie, there also ment to be some big one in the lake next to it which u cant fish for :(.

Will be keeping a eye on the river that runs through my town (Avon) as heard someone had a couple out of it recently, and to be honest I didnt think there wasnt none in the stretch around me, but think I may do a bit of free baiting in some hopefull looking swims and give it a go, if I dont catch a carp may end up with a big barble instead, which would be nice as only cought a reall small one before

yea i cant beleave that dont allow dogs on coate ether, dont make sense to me, as my dog is keept on the lead or in the bivvy, she dosent go jumping into the water or allowed to eat people bait but because she might scare the ticket blokes there not allowed ????? Yea Ive read one small article by Gaz Fareham about coate but couldnt find nothing really, think it was on the korda site, but didnt really look to hard to be honest as it was the night before I went last. Think ur right on the resident being the biggie, there also ment to be some big one in the lake next to it which u cant fish for :(.

Will be keeping a eye on the river that runs through my town (Avon) as heard someone had a couple out of it recently, and to be honest I didnt think there wasnt none in the stretch around me, but think I may do a bit of free baiting in some hopefull looking swims and give it a go, if I dont catch a carp may end up with a big barble instead, which would be nice as only cought a reall small one before

And to be honest mate a carp from that stretch of the river will feel much more of an achievement to you and you will be doing your own thing. You and your dog can fish in peace.

If the river is close then take your dog for walks along it mate through the close season and scout it out.

When you do hook a river carp you will love it, deffo harder fight than a lake caught carp. :skin_up:

It's worth a go mate,any carp from a river is worth more than a known fish from a lake in my opinion,you've found it,got it feeding,and it's yours.And it was probably free fishing,or £30 a year or something.A bonus 15lb+ Barbel would be nice too...! :D