Lectures and Courses

Eddiesilence

Brilliant thread ED man.

been looking at online book learning for the past month. I fancy doing some maths, calculus that sort of stuff and loads of others, I actually want to begin understanding the stuff that seems to be on the telly quite a bit about space, time and the absence of sexy aliens, plus it's good to know shit- fuck knows why I wasnt interested in this stuff at school, worst case scenario I find out what I'm shite at! Khan academy has been mentioned and I've had a good look at the Yale one above.

Good one I'll add is coursera:

https://www.coursera.org/

Lots of online courses from universities around the world.

Brilliant thread ED man.

been looking at online book learning for the past month. I fancy doing some maths, calculus that sort of stuff and loads of others, I actually want to begin understanding the stuff that seems to be on the telly quite a bit about space, time and the absence of sexy aliens, plus it's good to know shit- fuck knows why I wasnt interested in this stuff at school, worst case scenario I find out what I'm shite at! Khan academy has been mentioned and I've had a good look at the Yale one above.

Good one I'll add is coursera:

https://www.coursera.org/

Lots of online courses from universities around the world.

Indeed coursera is fantastic, I must say though, I'm unsure where it's heading as it's being funded by venture capital.

Obviously distance learning has been going on for a while but it's about time universities began offering their courses for free, as after all, many are public institutions. One good one is the University of London External programme, which although offers no tuition, they do have some great resources.

h ttp://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/

To get a degree from them costs about £4k all in over about five year, which makes me wonder what's going to happen to them if the universities that are part of coursera start offering diplomas or even degrees through the coursera platform. I doubt they'd charge anywhere near 4k like London External even though they'd actually be offering tuition. Hmm I see LSE is part of coursera.

Edited by soto

One of the advantages of the London External Programme is that the assessment is pretty much purely exam based. Obviously for some people this isn't an advantage but for others, it makes the degree much easier.

Compare this with the OU which is largely assessment based, with very rigid scope in assessments and very spoon fed at undergraduate level, something which does not lend itself to the research ethic needed to do postgraduate courses.

It's a shame the University of London are still able to charge £4k minimum for one of these degrees. Given there's no tuition that price seems excessive, however hopefully as said above, all this will change soon.

Edited by soto
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Okay, I realise this may only be of interest to a small amount of people but its something I've been watching recently- I'm hoping to re-train as a blacksmith (my new harebrained plan) once I've got some cash.

Just in case someone else in the broad church of uk420 finds metallurgy interesting:

Oh, just watched the vid in the OP by Ed. I'm liking it a lot, very interesting and Courtenay is indeed as fit as a butchers dog.

• Like 1

Excellent thread idea Eddie :)

I hope this doesn't border on the conspiratorial ;+}

MIT lectures on the possibility of cold fusion.

Dr Peter Hagelstein :

Dr Mitchell Swartz :

nibs.

Professor Courtenay Raia-Green :wub:

Indeed :) i just hope she wasn`t involved in the spelling at the top of the board @ 5:20 :wassnnme:

great thread Eddie

Western Roman law.

From the channel info box :

"The basis of the current western financial/legal system, and (some of) it's corruptions. The Roman Cult (Vatican). Estate Law. Trust Law. Cestui Que Vie Trusts. How did we get here?"

Cheers,

nibs.