The Case Against Legalizing Marijuana

thewhoami

High Peeps,

This is the sort of view we r all up against, i know this is an American view, But the Yanks have to change their minds if the ridiculous WOD is ever going to end, that affects us all !!

The Case Against Legalizing Marijuana

Source: Herald-Times, The (IN)

Website: http://www.hoosiertimes.com/mv-to-top/index-ht.php3

THE CASE AGAINST LEGALIZING MARIJUANA

This guest column was written by Susan Urbanek Linville, a science writer for the Wonderpage.

Several letters have been published in the past few weeks touting the safety and benefits of marijuana use.  The authors' implied that definitive scientific evidence exists to support their claims and no additional research is needed to evaluate the impact and long-term effects of marijuana use.  Is this truly the case?

Since 1970, more than 10,000 marijuana studies have been conducted.  Some were mainly anecdotal, some fell short of the scientific rigor needed to make conclusions, and others were performed under acceptable scientific standards.  It can be difficult for a layperson to evaluate this mass of data, but two recent publications should prove helpful: "Marijuana: What are the Risks? A Review of the Research Literature for Prevention Practice," Prevention Research Institute, Lexington, Ky., and "Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base," Institute of Medicine, National Academy Press.  This second article has been mentioned as a source establishing the safety of marijuana.  All unattributed quotes below are from that source.

Is marijuana safe? Some argue that marijuana is a natural herb with a history of medicinal use, but historic use does not equate safety.  Foxglove is a natural herb with a 1,000 year history, once used to treat epilepsy, water retention and cardiac symptoms.  But foxglove contains digitoxin, a glycoside that can cause death.

While doses of marijuana are not fatal, long-term use may trigger secondary problems such as cancer, heart attack and accidental death.  Marijuana is a plant product that contains more than 400 chemical compounds.  When exposed to heat, these compounds react, subjecting the smoker to some 2,000 chemicals including hydrogen cyanide, ammonia, carbon monoxide, acetaldehyde, acetone and phenol as well as carcinogens found in tobacco smoke: benzopyrene, benzoanthracene, benzene and nitrosamine.  Benzopyrene, in particular, has been implicated in lung cancer and is known to suppress a gene ( P53 ) that governs cell growth.

It is true that no study has definitively linked marijuana smoking to lung cancer, but this is because a high percentage of marijuana smokers are also tobacco smokers and it is difficult to untangle the two effects.  It is interesting to note that MAPS ( Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies ) and NORML ( National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws ) are sponsoring research to develop vaporizers to reduce the amount of tar reaching the marijuana smoker's lungs.  Their own literature ( the MAPS Bulletin, Summer 1966 ) states: "marijuana tars are rich in carcinogenic compounds."

While marijuana use may not lead to sudden death in healthy individuals, a typical dose increases heart rate by 20-50 percent and leads to sodium and fluid retention, increasing the risk of heart attack, arrhythmia, chest pain or congestive heart failure for individuals in poor health.

Like alcohol, marijuana impairs the central nervous system.  "Cognitive impairment associated with acutely administered marijuana limits the activities that people would be able to do safely and productively.  For example, no one under the influence of marijuana or THC should drive a vehicle or operate potentially dangerous equipment." The typical THC dose results in a level of impairment just slightly less than an alcohol blood level of 0.08 percent.  If current patterns of alcohol use and drunk driving are indicators of human behavior, legalized marijuana will lead to hundreds of secondary deaths each year.

Proponents of legalizing marijuana often claim medicinal use of cannabinoids as a primary justification.  Marijuana, they claim, has been used to reduce nausea, glaucoma, convulsions, spasms, asthma, pain, and promote appetite.  However, a closer look at the literature reveals some interesting conclusions.  As an anti-nausea drug, "cannabinoids are mildly effective in preventing emesis," though they decrease in effectiveness over time and side effects ( intoxication and impairment ) are not well tolerated.  Marijuana does decrease inner eye pressure, the cause of glaucoma, in normal individuals.  "However, the effect is too short lived and requires too high doses and there are too many side effects to recommend lifelong use in the treatment of glaucoma." As an anti-convulsant, marijuana can both reduce and cause convulsions.  Clinical studies with Parkinson's, MS and Huntington's patients, have shown little symptom abatement.

Prenatal marijuana use is associated with lower IQ, behavioral, attention and memory problems in offspring.  Fortunately, most children recover after about age 6.  Should they have to?

Marijuana use has been linked to low white blood cell counts.  "A major concern with marijuana smoking in HIV-infected patients is that they might be more vulnerable than other marijuana users to immunosuppressive effects of marijuana or to the exposure of infectious organisms associated with marijuana plant material." Marijuana use has also been found to cause psychotic events in prone individuals and precipitate schizophrenic episodes.

Marijuana is no wonder drug.  Like other recreational drugs, it has a variety of associated risks including increased risk of death due to cancer, heart disease and accident.  As a drug for the treatment of disease, it is mediocre at best.  It would be a refreshing change if proponents for legalizing marijuana would quit hiding behind the "safe drug" and "great medicine" rhetoric and admit the obvious.  They want to get high without the fear of being thrown into jail.  

:peace:  :oldtoker:  :2finger:

Prenatal marijuana use is associated with lower IQ, behavioral, attention and memory problems in offspring.  Fortunately, most children recover after about age 6.  Should they have to?

On the other side of the coin .... a handbook issued to Physiotherapists in the UK states the children of Marijuana smokers are often physiologically stronger (heart, lungs, etc) than those of non-smokers.

Since 1970, more than 10,000 marijuana studies have been conducted.  

Mostly by the US Government trying like crazy to find absolutely anything wrong with Cannabis ... just to justify their rediculous laws and human rights violations under these laws. They could find very little wrong (less than tabacco), so had to resort to lying to their people instead and covering up all the beneficial properties of Cannabis.

The sad thing is they are still at it  :oldtoker:

This article doesnt seem to have a point, other than marijuana use can cause health problems. But that isnt the argument, alcohol and tobacco are legal, but there harmful. Lots of legal things are harmful, just because a substance is harmful, isnt reason enough to prohibit it.

If it is harmful to society, ie heroin and crack, then thats another matter.

It would be a refreshing change if proponents for legalizing marijuana would quit hiding behind the "safe drug" and "great medicine" rhetoric and admit the obvious.

I do not believe that marijuana is completely harmless, of course it cause health problems. Smoking anything is bad for you, and long term use CAN lead to paranoia. I would admit the obvious as this reporter would like. So their argument seems to be defunct!!

:oldtoker:

:devil:  :2finger:

Secondary deaths...??? Accidental deaths???

Please....

The frustration I feel is the hipocracy shown when MJ is classed as a hardcore drug but alcohol is legal and drunk in harmful quantities, usually by those opposed to cannabis!!

Oh...and the operating heavy machinery thing etc???

I drink, but if I have to drive I don't....Same with ganja.

Why does everyone assume that if mj is legal the whole world will be fu&ked 24/7??

:curse:

The only true harm from Marijuana is being locked up for it!

How can anybody tell me that I can't plant a god given seed and use the end product for totally personal use?  

What about alcohol; F#$king hypocrites!  

I'm tired of all this shit! I'm just doing what I want.  Life is to short to worry about these F#$Ked-up laws.

Cit :curse: