A WI Lady's Guide to Pot

namkha

I wrote to NORML UK a few weeks back about the need to stop endlessly preaching to the converted and actually start getting the message about law reform and the truth about cannabis out to the people who need to hear it. Here is my idea:

I think the 'Silver Tours' they have in the US educating OAPs about the benefits of Medicinal Marijuana are an inspiration. Here is a link.

The Silver Tour

http://www.thesilvertour.org/robert-platshorn

Teaching Seniors the Benefits of Marijuana

The fact that the DEA moved so quickly to shut down Robert Platshorn, the organiser and main speaker, suggests they are terrified of the potential of mobilising the elderly vote. And the DEA may be right to be scared: it was most likely the elderly who stopped the California bill Prop 19 from succeeding, as many of them still think cannabis is more dangerous than alcohol. (See the book Marijuana is Safer, by NORML's Paul Armentano) When that changes, and the elderly vote wakes up to the truth, things will change fast.

So how to start getting the message out to people that matter in the UK? Well, as with the Silver Tours, I reckon the most important group to bring round is the elderly, and perhaps most of all, concerned mothers. They are most vulnerable to the scare tactics used by the government, the media, and charities like the BLF. And they will also be a formidable force for the government to reckon with once they have seen the truth and join our side.

So my idea would be to start a 'charm offensive' with the WI - yes, the Women's Institute...

Don't laugh! They do a lot more than just bake cakes and knit cardigans. (And of course cakes is a great place to start finding something in common between those who love cannabis and those who may be new to the whole thing, as most ladies at the WI are likely to be.)

The WI has a long tradition as a campaigning organisation.

The WI history of campaigning

http://www.thewi.org.uk/campaigns/the-wi-history-of-campaigning'>http://www.thewi.org.uk/campaigns/the-wi-history-of-campaigning

The WI has a long history of campaigning on a wide range of issues that matter to women and their communities.

Remember The WI Ladies' Guide to Brothels? You can watch it here:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/a-wi-ladys-guide-to-brothels/4od/

That basic anti-prohibition argument they are using there to argue for the legalisation of prostitution is the same one that we use to call for cannabis law reform.

Here's another link about the WI Campaigns

Key Campaigns & initiatives

http://www.thewi.org.uk/campaigns

here's a great one:

Care Not Custody

http://www.thewi.org.uk/campaigns/current-campaigns-and-initiatives/care-not-custody

In June 2008, the WI passed a resolution calling for an end to the inappropriate detention of people with mental health problems.

So the job now is to make a case for why ending cannabis prohibition matters to women and their communities.

There is the obvious one about the medicinal benefits of cannabis. Perhaps Sativex may be a problem there, or perhaps not.

But another obvious place to start is the relationship between mothers and their kids. Cannabis prohibition and the lies used to prop it up are a major source of alienation between youngsters and their parents. I think the majority of us could relate to that and speak honestly about the troubles this caused between us and our folks - except the lucky few whose parents were already partial to a few tokes now and then.

The case needs developing of course, but I reckon there is something there. Interested to hear what other people have to say.

Edited by namkha
  • Like 7

Will helen mirren play the party of the WI grower with the fluffiest bush, and in the calendar she's in front of the bush so you can't see the plants in the altogether and she's had a smoke herself and feels a bit all summer solstice and I'm free and by myself...

• Like 3

naive bollocks not even worth giving the time of day?

so brilliant is has awed each reader into a state of mesmerised silence?

anyone?

I'm in support of your idea aswell.

Have you put any feelers out?

The old bow streets, that's an idea, like that. Bagsie first.

I'm in support of your idea aswell.

Have you put any feelers out?

hey -

the WI is quite decentralised I think, so anybody who has any contacts with a local branch can start by having a natter there first

(have a look at how things went with the Guide to Brothels in terms of putting votes etc.)

my feeling is that it is likely to be best for wives and girlfriends to make the first move in terms of getting the conversation going

---

men can join the WI - my mum signed me up when I was kid up in Wales

---

I am around in the UK for the summer, so I might get round to contacting our local branch

but I am not based in the UK, so it is not something I am going to be able to pursue myself, and it's clearly going to take time

that's why I am throwing it out there

• Like 1

When I get to a proper internet connection I'm gonna do a bit of research..

I really think as a collective this is something we can acheive.

And I think it would be a great thing to suggest to new members who ask "what can I do to change things?"

Plus it has the added bonus of no risk so it is something we can all do.

What a great idea, well done Namkha!

Do you think offering to give a talk about the benefits would help?

I'd happily don my suit and go talk to them(best shave first tho)

If this is an idea maybe we could collectively write the presentation?

• Like 1

ht tp://www.thewi.org.uk

Go here to find your nearest wi or federation

Edited by djembryo

My mum is 93 years of age, she has known Cannabis helps various health problems for a very long time, I started educating her at the tender age of 14. She will tell anyone that will listen that there is no harm in it, can't wait for her space to be sorted so she can come and live with us, she will be giving the local constabulary a proper hard time if they decide to pop 'round for a nosey.

taff

My mum is 93 years of age, she has known Cannabis helps various health problems for a very long time, I started educating her at the tender age of 14. She will tell anyone that will listen that there is no harm in it, can't wait for her space to be sorted so she can come and live with us, she will be giving the local constabulary a proper hard time if they decide to pop 'round for a nosey.

taff

We'er not having support stockings on the calendar

Edited by Hir