science vs religion

Guest jacks lad

eventually science will take over, we will become reliant on drugs losing our immune system, we will geneticly modify ourselfs into perfect human beings, whatever that will be i dread to think, i thought i was a perfect specimine

An interesting read is this thread, (only viewed a few recent pages and worthy of a couple of hours to go from the start I'd say) :yep:

Did god create Mars too? does it say in the bible? or did they not know about the universe/ Mars when they wrote the book, what if there is life on mars (just bacteria), there's water? According to the bible god created all life? so he must of made that on another planet too, but i don't think it mentions life on other planets in the bible? does it even mention planets? Maybe the random person who wrote it had mental issues and didn't know about planets back then? were humans on other planets also given a copy of the bible?

The money maker : What about other religions?

Surely if there is more than one that contradict each other, that's a sign that none of them are real?

20426d88b7e275316752b16fd4a31da9.jpg

Edited by brendog

You could say Religious people are conspiracy theorists and vice versa, Making links when there's nothing there or this puts it better

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/the-curious-wavefunction/what-do-conspiracy-theories-religious-beliefs-and-detoxifying-proteins-have-in-common/

Why do people believe in God, ghosts, goblins, spirits, the afterlife and conspiracy theories? Two common threads running through these belief systems are what skeptic Michael Shermer in his insightful book The Believing Brain calls patternicity andagenticity. As the names indicate, patternicity refers to seeing meaningful patterns in meaningless noise. Agenticity refers to seeing mysterious but palpable causal agents, puppet masters who pull the strings and bring about unexplained phenomena. God is probably the perfect example of an agent.

Patternicity and agenticity can both be seen as primitive evolutionary features of our brain that have been molded into instinctive behaviors. They were important in a paleolithic environment where decisions often had to be made quickly and based on instinct. In a simple example cited by Shermer, consider an early hominid sauntering along somewhere in the African Savannah. He hears a rustle in the grass. Is it a predator or is it just the wind? If he assumes the former and it turns out to be the latter, no harm is done. But if he assumes its just the wind and lets down his guard and it turns out to be a predator, thats it; hes lunch and just got weeded out of the gene pool. The first mistake is whats called a Type 1 orfalse-positive error; the second one is a Type 2 or a false-negative error. Humans seem more prone to committing false positive errors because the cost of (literally) living with those errors is often less than the cost of (literally) dying from the false negatives. Agenticity is in some sense subsumed by patternicity; in the case of the hominid, he might end up ascribing the noise in the grass to a predator (an agent) even if none exists. The important thing to realize is that we are largely the descendants of humans who made false-positive errors; natural selection ensured this perpetuation.

Before we move on its worth noting that assuring yourself a place in the genetic pool by committing a false positive error is not as failsafe as it sounds. Sometimes people can actually cause harm by erring on the side of caution; this is the kind of behavior that is enshrined in the Law of Unintended Consequences. For instance after 9/11, about a thousand people died because they thought it safer to drive across the country rather than fly. 9/11 did almost nothing to tarnish the safety record of flying, but those who feared airplane terrorism (the pattern) reacted with their gut and ended up doing their competitors gene pools a favor.

Yet for all this criticism of pattern detection, it goes without saying that patternicity and agenticity have been immensely useful in human development. In fact the hallmark of science is pattern detection in noise. Patternicity is also key for things like solving crimes and predicting where the economy is going. However scientists, detectives and economists are all well aware of how many times the pattern detection machine in their heads misfires or backfires. When it comes to non-scientific predictions the machines even worse. The ugly side of patternicity and agenticity is revealed in peoples belief in conspiracy theories. Those who think there was a giant conspiracy between the CIA, the FBI, the Mob, Castro and the executive branch of the government are confronted with the same facts that others are. Yet they connect the dots differently and elevate certain individuals and groups (agents) to great significance. Patternicity connects the dots, agenticity sows belief. The tendency to connect dots and put certain agents on a pedestal is seen everywhere, from believing that vaccines cause autism to being convinced that climate change is a giant hoax orchestrated by thousands of scientists around the world.

Edited by brendog
  • Like 2

Mr Tickle does exist. I don't think you can deny fictional characters their existence.

The evidence is all there, I've read all the harry potter books, I'll see you at hogwarts!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...