What is Reality?

GanjaLounger

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Thicky

Fair enough, I don't have a poll. A better description would be "leading theorists", such as Turok, Penrose, Steinhart, and the fantastic eccentric Barbour. Here's a report on a few of the current ideas, but it's now 5 years old

hxxp://discovermagazine.com/2008/apr/25-3-theories-that-might-blow-up-the-big-bang/article_view?b_start:int=3&-C=

Can you point me to which page I should look at. It's not that I'm lazy, well yeah it is really....

*snip*

;) Looks like he's lazy too strawbs :P

The link is in the post already - bah! some people :wink:

:P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Read something that fucked with my mind relevant to this type of question the other day, it was a response to the question "how are we sure that our experience of life now isn't just a simulation" and it said that its more likely that we are in a simulation than we aren't, because as technology advances, far in the future, when what we think is impossible becomes possible, computers would be able to make simulations of human minds, and simulations of worlds for them to inhabit, and they would become increasingly efficient until the point that it requires hardly any power to sustain them, to the point that simulated lives hugely outnumber real lives, and if simulated and biological minds are indistinguishable from each other, then we can never be sure that we are actually not simulated! :king:

Read something that fucked with my mind relevant to this type of question the other day, it was a response to the question "how are we sure that our experience of life now isn't just a simulation" and it said that its more likely that we are in a simulation than we aren't, because as technology advances, far in the future, when what we think is impossible becomes possible, computers would be able to make simulations of human minds, and simulations of worlds for them to inhabit, and they would become increasingly efficient until the point that it requires hardly any power to sustain them, to the point that simulated lives hugely outnumber real lives, and if simulated and biological minds are indistinguishable from each other, then we can never be sure that we are actually not simulated! :king:

I've recently been reading and watching Nick Bostrom, Silas Beane, Michael Savage, Brian Greene and Jim S. Gates, among others:

Bostrom's 2003 paper:

'Are You Living in a Computer Simulation?', Nick Bostrom, Philosophical Quarterly, 2003, Vol. 53, No. 211, pp. 243-255.

Beane, et al's 2012 paper:

'Constraints on the Universe as a Numerical Simulation', Silas R. Beane, Zohreh Davoudi and Martin J. Savage, Institute for Nuclear Theory, Seattle, November 12, 2012

...and this completely fascinating Jim S. Gates article from 2010:

'Symbols of Power: Adinkras and the Nature of Reality', Jim S. Gates, Physics World, June 2010

"Try to detect the presence of codes in the laws that describe physics." ~theoretical theoretical physicists.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." ~Albert Einstein.

"As long as you still experience the stars as something above you , you still lack a viewpoint of knowledge." ~Friedrich Nietzsche.

"All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force... We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind. This Mind is the matrix of all matter." ~Max Planck.

"Inability to accept the mystic experience is more than an intellectual handicap, lack of awareness of the basic unity of organism and environment is a serious and dangerous hallucination." ~Alan Watts.

"The cultural operating system we have, Consumer Capitalism 5.0 or whatever it is, actually has bugs in it that generate contradictions, such as... cutting the earth from beneath our own feet... poisoning the atmosphere that we breathe. . This is not intelligent behavior. .This is a culture with a bug in its operating system that's making it produce erratic dysfunctional behavior. Time to call a tech and... the shamans are the techs." ~Terence McKenna.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

fuck sake, i never even read the replys and i want to shoot myself, for fuck sake get a grip of the monkey before he imbraces you and locks you into his big warm paws and sucks every brain-cell that lurks in the depth of the human mind?