A Humming Bird With Sense!

Ruderalisman

Wow that is a fantastic photograph if it's genuine. Does beg the question though, what the fuck is a hummingbird doing trying to feed at a windpollinated flower, which by default doesn't have any nectar?!!

Weird.

PA

I suspect a fake piccy here :toldya:

The planes of focus between the bird and the bud just don't quite seem consistent...

From a trained eye btw...

Hope you can prove me wrong though mate :toldya:

I'm surprised as hell this came up, because I've been meaning to post some photos of a pair of Malachite sunbirds that have been visiting some red hot pokers (Kniphofia) in my garden recently. For those who don't know, a sunbird is the African equivalent of a hummingbird, which afaik only occur in the Americas. The female is the dull brownish gray one. I'm a bit of an avian enthusiast :)

post-39674-1278805967_thumb.jpg

post-39674-1278806131_thumb.jpg

Nice pic, Looks pretty real to me.... I suppose he would have to fly over and have a mooch before realizing that such an attractive sweet smelling plant does not contain his desired nectar.

Humming birds drink nectar so I would assume that they would only be attracted to plants that produce that, looks photo shopped to me.

If that's fake it's quite well done by the looks of it. Even got a little leaf shadow on its head.

Just for the sake of discussion, what do you suppose its doing if it's a genuine pic? Would they eat seeds?