'Amazing' man walks the coast

bongme

hi

Thursday, 11 April, 2002

A man with Parkinson's disease has set out on a "very difficult" 4,500 mile walk around the UK coastline.

Tom Isaacs, 34, from London, cannot walk without drugs.

He will take a year to complete the walk, dividing it into 15 stages, to raise £250,000 for research into the disease.

Mr Isaacs, who was diagnosed when he was 27, began his walk from the Millennium Bridge in London on Thursday.

He was cheered on by family and friends and supporters, including Faye Tozer, formerly of Steps.

Mr Isaacs said: "I am amazed by the support.

"It is a young person's disease and we are five years away from a cure.

"It's going to be very demanding and very difficult.

"I can't walk without drugs and need to plan the walk carefully to ensure I can complete it."

He will cross into Scotland in June, break off for the Commonwealth Games baton relay in July, and reach the Welsh border in November.

He hopes to return to London in April 2003.

'Huge importance'

His mother Jane said she was "sick" with worry and would be there to support him.

Faye Tozer promised a personal donation to Mr Isaacs' cause.

"I started supporting Parkinson's when I joined Steps but I've continued even though I've left the band because it is of huge importance to me.

"A very close family friend suffers from the disease and all this will help towards finding a cure."

Another supporter was Edward Grylls, who climbed Everest after breaking his back.

He said his advice to Tom was to "go slowly and lean on people."

Mr Grylls added: "What he is doing is amazing."

Bongme