Tar Coming Through The End Of Joints

Shotbod

Sometimes when I'm smoking a joint, horrible amounts of tar come through the roach and end up on my lips, fingers, the roach itself, and any paper that may be left hanging over the roach after it's rolled.

However, sometimes this doesn't happen at all.

I roll my joints with tobacco, and do it pretty much the same every single time, most of my rolls are near identical, yet some end up being complete tar factories and others are as dry as anything?

What could cause this? Could it be using a different brand of tobacco (I nearly always use the same one)? Could it be something to do with how the joint is rolled? Or do different strains of weed contain drastically different levels of tar?

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to prevent this? inb4 use a filter, I'm not gonna do that.

e2a: I've just noticed that this forum capitalizes every single word in the title of topics, why?

Edited by Arnold Layne

i find its when ya rool a J too tight,...the pullin end is too tight n it just bottle necks the burnt shit n ya end up wi a tarry J....nasty eh.

• Like 1

Yeah too tight, also the paper shouldnt overlap the roach this catches some of tar n some frayed edges also collect tar so if poss cut roach not tear it

I think your problem may perhaps be with the quality of your tobacco. Commercial tobacco has become increasingly impure as dwindling smoker-numbers force the tobacco companies to chase profits by reducing costs - and flogging lower grade tobacco.

The tightness of your roll may also be a strong factor. Roll too tight, and tar levels rise. Roll loose, and you may well find the problem is lessened.

Solution: Quit tobacco, and learn to roll less tightly packed spliffs.

e2a: I've just noticed that this forum capitalizes every single word in the title of topics, why?

It doesn't? lol

this thing happens less to me now i smoke pure spliff but does still happen occasionally and doing a roach transplant mid smoke is a pain in the arse,usually just rip the oily bit off and smoke it roachless lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah man, like i say spliffs are dirt bags. get a vapourzer even after 8 years use daily mine hasnt built up any tar or other nasty shit.

Peace man

loosely packed , a little american spirit additive free baccy , paper tucked in , no tar .

no need to torch the end dude :)

post-32939-1270207665.jpg

Its just when a little bit of weed or bacy gets cloged up near the beggning of the roach....rip the roach off and smoke away! :)

When I smoked tobbacco I found that this is usually caused by paper or a large piece of baccy getting jammed by the roach on the inside of the joint. Same thing that causes those joints you can't get a draw on.

My fav way of a cure without ripping the roach off and adding a new one is to get a long (enough) pin or thin needle... insert through roach and puncture the offeding blockage a number of times. Usually find this cures it enough to finish the joint enjoyably..

Does size matter ? lol

i find if i'm passed big assed joints that they can be tarry as hell on the roachy end when they get halfway down.

but when i roll or have say 1& a half small skins stuck toger lengthways or standard kingsize ( always thin papers like ocb's , never green , red or blue rizzles lol:):bad: )

i wonder if the wider or longer ones give more tar out lol

loosely packed , a little american spirit additive free baccy , paper tucked in , no tar .

no need to torch the end dude :)

post-32939-1270207665.jpg

Not seen anyone roll a joint like that for a long time, never done it myself but ones i have seen are always soggy and tarred on the end.

• 10 years later...
On 23/02/2010 at 1:32 PM, Shotbod said:

Sometimes when I'm smoking a joint, horrible amounts of tar come through the roach and end up on my lips, fingers, the roach itself, and any paper that may be left hanging over the roach after it's rolled.

However, sometimes this doesn't happen at all.

I roll my joints with tobacco, and do it pretty much the same every single time, most of my rolls are near identical, yet some end up being complete tar factories and others are as dry as anything?

What could cause this? Could it be using a different brand of tobacco (I nearly always use the same one)? Could it be something to do with how the joint is rolled? Or do different strains of weed contain drastically different levels of tar?

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to prevent this? inb4 use a filter, I'm not gonna do that.

What an interesting thread.

I smoke pure and sometimes get lots of tar oozing out of the filter.

It is clearly quite pure cannabis oil so it isn't unpleasant.

I had thought that it was caused by selecting a particularly resinous bud

This thread has made me think twice.

• Like 1