Carl Sagan Is Mr X

Cambium

i have been watching the cosmos series recently, is great, still pretty relevant and even has updates on the info at the end of each episode; the thing that gets me about this whole science v religion debate is that for people such as carl sagan, and for me, the sense of wonder that even slightly grasping the immensity and beauty of the universe gives, is, of itself, a "religous" experience; humbling, marvelous and empowering, knowing that you are the universe become concious of itself, no need to look for something greater than where we are and what we are.

my thoughts exactly.

Fascinating stuff, thanks for posting Cambium. Apparently Noam Chomsky is also very pro Cannabis.

Tried reading Norm Chomsky and it made my head hurt. Hes a Deep thinker :unsure:

i have been watching the cosmos series recently, is great, still pretty relevant and even has updates on the info at the end of each episode; the thing that gets me about this whole science v religion debate is that for people such as carl sagan, and for me, the sense of wonder that even slightly grasping the immensity and beauty of the universe gives, is, of itself, a "religous" experience; humbling, marvelous and empowering, knowing that you are the universe become concious of itself, no need to look for something greater than where we are and what we are.

my thoughts exactly.

Fascinating stuff, thanks for posting Cambium. Apparently Noam Chomsky is also very pro Cannabis.

Tried reading Norm Chomsky and it made my head hurt. Hes a Deep thinker :woot:

Haha, try reading some Foucault (another cannabis smoker by all accounts - particularly interesting is his concept of 'limit experiences', obtained by certain drugs or sexual experiences). He and Chomsky appeared in a televised debate together in the early 70s and apparently one, or both of them of them was paid in hash lol.

• 1 month later...

Half an hour left to light one up for Carl Sagan Day :stoned:

gallery_33371_2913_9652.jpg

www.centerforinquiry.net/carlsaganday

Edited by Cambium

• 2 weeks later...

Also don't forget that his wife, Ann Druyan, is an active member on the board of NORML....

GN

Edited by GreenNinja

i've been watching cosmos loads cause my son loves it, and, ive noticed there is atleast, one mild drug reference: when he is describing the "commet fever" that a commet gave rise to in USA in 1912, i think it was, he shows this jar of "commet pills" made at the time, takes one out and says something like "i'll take one for later" teehee

hafta say cambium that i have ignored this thread for some reason nowt you but just noticed that sagan wrote it in 1969. a pivotal year in my life. cant comment now but will read and comment later. cheers.

gen :wassnnme:

• 3 years later...

How have i never seen this thread before? That opening piece by sagan is fascinating. I'm spending the day making samosas and listening/watching the videos in this thread.Never really encountered sagan before posting here, Cheers @@Cambium

• Like 1

Cambium,

an appreciated post, i had no idea that Carl Sagan was 'tuned in' to the degree he describes in your 'op' . . .

i now feel 'lightened', both from reading his words, & knowing another person also felt the 'positive responce' of the greater universe from 'relaying truthfully'

.. i've spent much of my life in a similar 'attuned state' .. . with or without weed . .

. . although weed tends to enhance ..

& thanks to Ahimsa for the nudge ..

• 1 year later...

im proper smiling my head off cause all i can hear is carls sagans voice reading that article, ahhhhhh what a beautiful, beauty, lovely son a bitch he was.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

So many people think he was arrogant, I just assume he made them feel stupid. We need another man like him, or Richard Feynman. 

RIP