Medicinal question

April

Everytime I eat the Choc Brownies, (whatever strength) I end up with stomach ache and a general feeling of being unwell. And sometimes it stops me from sleeping, which sort of misses the point.And it is not that I have eaten too much this time because I hardly feel hungry. I'm wondering if I would be better trying out a vapouriser but really haven't a clue!

Or am I going wrong somewhere in the cooking stage?

Do others experience these side effects?

It's been puzzling me for a while

Any help appreciated

April

Hi April,

that doesn't sound very nice :D

Personally I've never experienced anything similar.

Do you always use the same recipe?

Is it quality hash/bud?

Can you tell us what sort of dose you're using.

If you're sure of the dosage, quality etc. my recommendation would be to try a different recipe, maybe yoghurt (check out the cooking with cannabis section), as it could be the richness of the brownies that upsetting your stomache.

I'm no doctor mind, these are just thoughts based on what you've told us.

Take care,

MrB

Thanx for the reply Mr. Benn

I always use the same recipe but I think I'll try another now.

1st time I used 2-3 grms per 4 ozs butter/4oz. choc/200grms flour etc.

2nd time used nearly 3 grms to half quantity of the above.

Bud is used.

I'll have to experiment a bit more I think.

Cheers

April

:D

Higha April

Have to agree with everything Mr B has said.

I gather from the above that you are not a smoker? If correct, I would steer clear of Vapourisers unless you can give one a serious try first. The cheaper ones are not, I suspect, truly vapourisers at all, just self lighting pipes! However, expensive models at around £200+ are available [Aromed via The Highland Company] and my guess is that they are the best way to go.

Yoghurt may be the best way? Do let us all know how you get on - there may well be others needing to know what you discover.

Thanx very much for the reply

Yes you are right in thinking I do not smoke. (My acupuncturist advises against it) although I have considered it. I've printed off the Yoghurt recipe and I'll try it after Friday's shopping but how much do you think I should put in the spoon (I'm novice status only!) before heating do you think? I've got those chinese balance scales (approx £6 price ones) of which the weights go down quite low.

And yes I will let you know how I get on.

April

April, I have given your problem some thought and had a read around and come to the following: It could be a reaction in your stomach to the fine hairs that cover the individual flowers Etc. This is a not unknown problem. The answer is relatively easy, you will be glad to know. Make Cannabis Butter, and use that in your recipes. There are many recipes about, and I will scout one out for you and post it here. The trick is that the bud is actually filtered out in the making of the butter, therefore no stomach irritants. Catchya later with that recipe! Back again, here is one to tyry [adjust measurements to need]:

http://www.cannabisworld.com/ubb/Forum32/HTML/000001.html

<a href="http://" target="_blank">recipe</a>

Hi There Arnold, Thanx for all the time and effort taken. It is very good of you. (I'm not used to all this help)

I seem to have been down this canna butter road before, because when I made it the last time (and only time) I think I boiled it too much instead of simmering it (who knows!and so many different recipes)And I needed a lot for it to work so I thought I had boiled the content away.I feel a fool about this as in the normal way, I'm a good cook! although nothing is normal these days.

Well, i'll have another go at making the canna butter because I feel there maybe something in what you say about the fine hairs etc. And I know I'm going wrong somewhere in the cooking.

April

Higha April

Uhm, that is why we are here - to help each other!!! :oldtoker:

Just be patient on the butter front for a day or so, and I will get you a better recipe. I am currently trying out different ways of doing this, only using my preferred Olive Oil [Organic Cold First Pressing, oooh yum!]. The plan, should you wish to give it a try, is to put about a quarter of weed into a modest amount of oil, and heat it for about 5 - 7 hours in a double boiler [thus the oil and water will not be mixed]. Remove, and allow to stand for a day before using with caution! I don't know when I shall get round to trying it, but wil keep you posted.

I forgot to ask: what is the illness you are treating? [Fully understand if you don't want to say]

And yes, a rolling simmer is the thing to look for. No, you won't boil the THC away!!

Right, off to go recipe hunting......

OK, this is getting very frustrating! Some say 10 minutes, some say 8 hours [for the boiling]!!!!

I reckon its trial and error! - But, I will post a query in the cookery section, see if anyone has any wisdom.....

Hi Arnold

Thanx for all the research help. I have 3 cookery books in front of me:Gourmet Cannabis Cookery by Dan.D.Lyon (pretty useless book on it's own as quantities are all in American cup size). Marijuana Herbal cookbook (also American but more informative) and Cooking with Ganja by Eric plus an instruction sheet from MMCO. But as you say the instructions are all different. varying from barely warm in a bowl over hot water to boiling!

Yes I'll bide my time for a while longer.

Got to work on the CHI report (my day in Leeds)for The Arachnoiditis Trust newsletter. That will keep me busy. Must be carefull not to be too negative about it.

April

Apprentice has some experience, which you can find over in the cookery section, where I have launched an appeal for help!!

Now this should give you some food for thought!! I think Recipe No.1 sounds the best!

http://www.drugwarroom.com/recipes.htm#Cannabutter Recipe 1

As you can see, the question of time has a varied answer. My guess is that about 90 minutes/two hours is about the right time, at a rolling simmer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.... questioner type thingy (He`s forgotton your name already - Brain)

I hope your not suffering from the same gut complaint as me, but for what its worth  (Hey, what`s that sound?) I have a large hole where my food chills. Uncle Ulcer always pays me a visit when anything other than tuna decides to visit Commander Colon for some digestion rituals.

I found a simple solution to this problem, which involves shards of tree bark, some hedge trimmers and a non returnable plastic soft drinks bottle, but my lawyers have served me with a non disclosure (Restraining- Brain) order to protect patients (Prevent him going to jail - Brain)

Hope this helps

Hi April and Arnold

I am no expert by any manner of means but have made canna butter on a number of occasions now and in fact made a bathc last night.

What I did was throw into the pot 3.5oz of leaf and lower bud trim (small bud not worth drying) with about 300 grams of butter (45p tesco).  bring to slight boil and then simmered for around 1 hour.

It gets a wee bit messy from here, I then leave the pot in sink full of cold water, take the wifes marigolds and fish out all the leaf and bud very hot still but needed to get all the butter out of the mix.  Squueze back into the pot and then let it cool for a awhile and then stick pot in fridge until butter is set.

Then scoop butter out and place in a dish, this is also very messy and there is water also still in the butter but if you push the butter down in the container the water comes to the top and then just pour it out.

Like I said I made a batch last night and have used the butter in all sort before but mainly yoghurts as not being a medical user I find this the best way to get smashed oot me tree.

If I can help with anything just ask, but like I said I am no expert.

I quite like the taste of it now although still not brave enough to stick it on toast, sometimes get a little leaf in the butter but hey its only a herb.

see ya

apprentice

All very helpful Apprentice. Thanx very much for taking the time to write out all the instructions and advice. I'm feeling more confident about having a go at making the cannabutter now. Maybe Friday.

April

Hi April,

Can't add much on the recipe side of things but maybe can shed some light on the sleeping problem if it becomes a 'problem' and some suggestions to help (obviously not to stop taking mj).

Come back to me if you need to.

Steve The Weed

:guitar: