Patients 'want' control of records

bongme

hi

Tuesday, 5 March, 2002

Patients are ready and willing to be responsible for their own medical records, a survey suggests.

The research found that almost two-thirds (63%) of people said they would like to be responsible for holding their own medical records on a small electronic 'smart' card.

Nearly seven out of 10 (69%) said they would be willing to have the responsibility of producing the records on visits to their GP or a hospital.

(It is important that people are aware that they can access their medical records Dr Simon Fradd )

The survey, carried out by NOP Research on behalf of the Doctor Patient Partnership and the Consumer Health Information Centre, also found that most people (73%) are aware that they can access their medical records if they need to.

However, the majority (87%) are not aware that they can be charged up to £10 to read their records.

And almost two-thirds (62%) of people did not realise that they could expect to pay up to £50 to have a copy of their medical records.

Poster campaign

The Doctor Patient Partnership and the Consumer Health Information Centre are launching a joint campaign to inform patients about how to gain information from their medical records and the cost implications.

The campaign is also designed to raise awareness of the benefits to patients and health professionals of sharing health and drug information.

(Only if patients are clear about the process, can they make their own choices Dr Simon Fradd )

Dr Simon Fradd, chairman of the Doctor Patient Partnership, said: "It is important that people are aware that they can access their medical records, and that there will be a charge to cover the GP's expenses to complete the task.

"Only if patients are clear about the process, can they make their own choices about their medical records."

The survey also found almost half (49%) of those asked said they always tell their pharmacist about other medicines they are taking when they buy non-prescription medicines from a pharmacy.

Gerald Zeidman, of the Consumer Health Information Centre, said that, when buying over the counter medicines, it was important for patients to check that there were no possible interactions with any other medication they are taking.

Posters containing information on accessing medical records will be displayed in surgeries and pharmacies across the UK.

To help patients record their prescription and non-prescription medicines for discussion with a pharmacist or GP, Patient Medicine Cards are being placed in GP surgeries and pharmacies.

Bongme

It all sounds so easy doesn't it? But in reality it is not. NO WAY.

I've spent months in the past getting Health Records of a dear departed friend,(as Executor) (the charges and time limit are different for the dead) whilst persuing a complaint against her GPs.  The records are meant to come within a certain time limit. Ha Ha all these were broken and I was charged the wrong rate. (got it back though)

I've also applied for my own records in the past. Very interesting to see all the lies "they" write about what you have (not) said. The charges seem to vary and there is no time limit for the Data protection act. Sorry to go on about it. It is one of my many "Moans" concerning the NHS

April

hi  April

Moan on, if we dont moan we will never get any changes and i would rather see someone moaning and haveing a go than someone just sitting there doing bugger all, well done April you carry on   ;)

Bongme

:oldtoker:

April - you moan as much as you like!! I cannot begin to tell you how mad I get about the NHS. No, really I mustn't. Gnnggnnnnn No, No I won't, its far too nice today and I am high.

I didn't think there was anybody who could get as mad as I do about the NHS. I seem to be totally biased against them but I have many personal reasons for this. I was only thinking the other day a dog or a cat would have faired better than I did. And then I discovered your other posting, so I stand corrected!

And about the Health Records, mine went missing once, they'd been left in the photocopying room for weeks before they were found again. Unbelievable but so true.

April