Top Posters In This Topic

• brendog

• Archangel

• Sp1n

• Joolz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Cursed

I'd love your thoughts on this. I just like her, but it's not my world.

...Although if this is like the time I asked a person I thought may know 'what do you know about KPIs' I apologise in advance. I don't mean to 'trigger' :D

Edited by j.o.i.n.t

@j.o.i.n.t

can you give me a summary? I don’t have time right now to watch it all.

is it roughly “academia is bullshit and not what most people think it is?”

@Cursedlol

Swerving the nuance, more or less. She speaks of her dream, her route through academia; methods/mindsets/funding she observed, and it's impact on her, and why it lead to the choices she made to leave and basically be a you tuber...

The realities of it. It's got me to thinking more should do this. Y'know, 'those jobs' where the general perceptions of most are far removed from the reality.

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
little words are hard

You don’t truly get an idea of what academia actually is until you’re in it if that makes sense. And I would say I’m still kind of on the periphery, as I’m still on my way to becoming an academic. But it’s not what people think it is and it’s only by being immersed in it that you begin to understand what it’s all about. There is massive pressure to bring in funding and publish papers that, by all accounts from other people doing this longer than me, has got worse in the last few years. And all contracts are short term, there’s very little stability in academia, it definitely takes a certain type of person to thrive that’s completely unconnected to intelligence and scientific understanding. I’m not sure I’ll be hanging around once I’m done but who knows, my boss is already lining up post doc funding for me and I’ve still got over a year to go before I’m a doc (if I stick it out and qualify that is). Once you get to a certain point it becomes less about being in the lab, running experiments, learning and solving problems and becomes more about managing other people doing those things whilst you crunch numbers, go to meetings and write reports for people.

But yeah, it’s an odd world to navigate that’s nothing like anything I’ve experienced before. It works on completely different time scales to

jobs and worlds.

• Like 2

Thank you for humouring my curiosity on this, @Cursed. You mirror some of her points there.

• 2 weeks later...