Sense And Sensibility

Culchi

Common sense is the alternative to logical deductive reasoning. It's 'common' in the context of popular and 'sense' in the context of perception. Anything which is held to be true by most people because that's the way it seems to most people is common sense.

The world being flat was common sense at one point in time, now it is not so. Common sense is often thought of as an asset, people who have 'plenty of common sense' are seen as better than those lacking it, but in actual fact, common sense is much like science, always proven wrong sooner or later.

Common sense is both philosophically materialistic and utterly lacking objectivity. It's adoption is driven by a desire to conform, to be accepted, it is nothing to admire.

Edited by nukungfu

Common sense is both philosophically materialistic and utterly lacking objectivity. It's adoption is driven by a desire to conform, to be accepted, it is nothing to admire.

its just a phrase ultimatly dont know if other languages/cultures have it? Would common sense to a hunter gatherer keep him alive. i think so. We need it to be human to use tools, to live n let live, to learn.

its a modern term that only came about coz some ppl dont have it or use it.

on the other hand

I suppose it styfles creative, free thinking, , it is used to prove points by people who cant think of the reasons why they (think) they are right or they think the reasons are too blatent to explain.

*yawn* its too late for me to be thnkin this deep

So would you say common sense was an innate survival skill? Or as EO suggests, via Albert, it is a prejudice, learned behaviour through interaction with one's environment and social groups (or lack thereof)? Is it like street smarts? Do we sometimes block its advice out in favour of some exciting, though perhaps foolhardy, personal goals? Intelligence, to me at least, is the ability to work something out, to solve problems. I'm afraid I have little of either. Thanks for posting folks btw - nice to know someone reads my shit now and again (not meant literally). :P

'Common sense' is described/defined by the Oxford English Dictionary below

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/commonsense?view=uk

as 'good sense and sound judgement in practical matters'. I don't have much of it.

It seems to be used as the opposite of 'intelligence' in an academic sense, though as Boojum says it's actually a form of intelligence

Interesting point was raised about whether other languages have an equivalent phrase. I know the french 'savoir faire' means something like 'know-how', which is kinda related but also not quite the same. I like the Einstein quote EO gave about 'common sense' as a collection of 'prejudices'

Lots to think about - nice one for raising the topic. 420's great, but i don't get anything done sat here - common sense says I should go to the shop and stick some washing in...I don't thgink I like common sense :)

A

Dictionary eh? Isn't that cheating? Thanks Arbuscule. I think the literal translation of savoire faire is "to know to do", so it does seem to come close, but in a French way. BTW - I'd stick the washing in before I went to the shops, so it'd be nearly done by the time you get back. :)

hi Nettle Grower

I put some washing in but got mashed and forgot the dishes. Oops

- as a boring aside 'Sense' and 'Sensibility' had diffarent meanings when Jane Austen popularised the phrase. 'Sensibility' was essentially emotional awareness; to be 'sensible' meant almost the opposite of what it does today. 'Sensible' means something like rational and practical I guess, perhaps with an edge of caution thrown in.

for Jane Austin's generation 'sensible' referred to awareness or even hyper awareness in a very emotional way - there's a touch of 'the vapours' about 'sensibility' :rofl:

Romantic poets gloried in their 'sensibilities' and naughty ironic Jane Austen was poking fun at them

As it happens the great Ms Austen meant something similar to 'Common Sense' in her use of 'Sense', as typified by her wonderful heroines

sorry, not sure where that came from - somewhere from the murky depths of my head tho, no dictionaries or google involved :D

Peace 420. Hey, i can't have changed that much from getting all disabled cos I woulda always found any excuse to chat inappropriately about Jane Austen on a weed site. Bloody ell, i just recognised myself then - I think i can gradually recapture a sense of self here

scuse the ramblings, peace all :)

A

Cheers Arbuscule - I never knew that, nor read any Austen (nor much classic literature ftm) tbh - very interesting piece of info there - thanks for coming back to tell me (at 3am :unsure: ) - I appreciate it. I hope you're feeling more like your old self soon friend - keep posting. BTW I found the best way to do dishes is to use up every last one in the house, then throw them out and buy new ones. :unsure: