Ten Punishments

ninorc

I was checking the 10 Commandments - as you do - on this site and found this alternative list, which demonstrates just what He meant when the Jealous God described His Bad Self as 'vengeful':

1. Exodus 22:20: He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the Lord only, he shall be utterly destroyed.

2. Leviticus 24:16: And he that blasphemeth the name of the Lord, he shall surely be put to death.

3. Exodus 31:15: Whosoever doeth any work in the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

4. Exodus 21:15: He that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death.

5. Exodus 21:17: He that curseth his father or his mother, shall surely be put to death.

6. Exodus 22:19: Whosoever lieth with a beast shall surely be put to death.

7. Leviticus 20:13: If a man lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death.

8. Leviticus 20:10: And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall be put to death.

9. Mark 16:16: He that believeth not, shall be damned.

10. Malachi 2:1-4: And now, O ye priests, this commandment is for you. If you will not hear, and if ye will not lay it to heart to give glory to my name, ... behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces.

the only thing religion is good for is WAR

I disagree.

Let's rephrase the whole thing better. Bad religious people cause wars. Its a very human trait to cop out of this, and blame an inanimate system (religion) for a human failure :yep:

Its people who cause wars. And not all of them are religious either.

As to the OP. Bang on! But then let's get some proper lit crit to operate. In terms of the Pentateuchal quotes (laying the Malachi one aside), what's the background, what's going on? The emergance of a new male tribal deity and the creation of a theocracy. The former being the big new idea of the Mosaic age. Out with all the female deities (the Golden Calf was in truth the idol of Godess worship, and that was its blasphemous nature in Moses eyes), death to all opponents. In the ancient world, it makes sense. In our world it does not, even though the principle is still practiced.

But it reminds me of the sort of fundamnetalist atheist militants one can come across. Demonise the old, and then call for punitive actions againts its adherants. All in the name of the "New Truth" being proposed. New Scientist is old Prophet writ large, all too often.

(I mean no disservice to any scientists here. I am merely referencing the sort of militant atheistic science one can come across today, that spends endless time in attacking religion and spirituality with a rigour and zeal that would make a man like Moses smile with pride)

Beware anyone claiming to hold "The truth". "The less humility, the more error" - its not a bad maxim I think.

Edited by Arnold Layne

3. Exodus 31:15: Whosoever doeth any work in the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death

Jesus worked on the Sabbath.

7. Leviticus 20:13: If a man lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death.

Leviticus is a set of rules for the Jewish people of the time. They are not really applicable today, certainly not that one about homosexuality. There's plenty on the internet about that verse, have a look.

9. Mark 16:16: He that believeth not, shall be damned.

That one is the basis of christianity - 'belief'. It's a tough one though. You have to work out whether it's saying you must believe everything in the book is true to be saved. Rubbish if you ask me, you don't have to believe what people say what each verse means is true, just have to believe that Jesus died on the cross for you. That's what it's referring to. Everything else comes second (eg. not blaspheming, not murdering) and is not necessary to avoid damnation.

Edited by soto

I honestly dont think that I know anybody that hasnt broken the rules of Christianity....in some form or another. That includes Christians etc....

So are we all damned? Because I know I am! :guitar: That knowledge then leads me along the path of well if I damned now.....? I might as well carry on :spliff:

I always refer to this world as hell, release will come when Im gone :rofl:

Ms Powerband :rofl:

I always refer to this world as hell, release will come when Im gone

why would the release be ceasing to exist? Life can't be that bad that you no longer want to exist.

The idea of not existing is scary enough to be honest, without all the damnation stuff thrown in.

Seriously I don't mean to sound like an ass but have a long hard think about that. What it would be like to not get up everyday and experience the world, to be dead. Okay I may get shouted at but that is a fucking scary thought, but it's the reality, one day all of this will be gone. Not just the bad stuff but the very existance of self. When one thinks long and hard about it, it can scare the fuck out of you. It may not scare the fuck out of everyone and I'm not saying that people get scared the fuck out of and turn to religion. It happens perhaps but it's just the importance to think about what death actually is that I'm getting at.

Again sorry to sound like an ass but itt just doesn't sound like you're taking it very seriously

Quite simply, of all things in life, the end of life itself is surely the thing one must take the most seriously. I'm sorry if that sounds patronising but surely all the other stuff in life eclipses into almost insignificance when the end of life itself is considered

If one takes more of an interest in something very material, like what car they must have, or their dream home etc somethng is very wrong imo.

Edited by soto

Some points you make are valid Soto.....

Death used to scare me.... until I realised that you wouldn't know you were dead, if you were dead? So if you dont know your not here, you arent missing anything? Does that make sense? :guitar:

The same as you never knew about birth before you were born.... could this be the same area? The waiting room so to speak? I do have some confidence in reincarnation.....

At the end of the day we are all made from little cells, atoms electrons etc.....even after cremation these " bits " are flying around....I often wonder if that feeling of having someone in the room with you when there is nobody there could be the electrons of my parents just saying Hello while there floating around? :spliff:

And Im flying off topic so Ill shut up! :rofl:

Ms Powerband :rofl:

The big problem with the "good" book - Anyone can interpret it anyway they want.

A great example: The "god hates fags" family in the US.

0ld agreement of the ten didnt work. jesus said, if the son shall set you free, you are free indeed. new agreement, he that has the son, has life....

that which has been set meat for mankind; no one, no entity, nothing shall keep us from seed bearing plants, our meat. all seed bearing plants. the good book says, that you should not call anything unclean if god has called it clean.

gen