security scan

spatsman

spatsman sounds like you are with blueyonder cable. They port scan all their users to check for open ports. If you don’t make your computer secure they will cut you off. Its likly you have been hacked and you are wide open for anyone to look round or take control of your computer. Shut the port and get yourself a firewall installed. If you use a mac net barrier is a good firewall. If you are on a PC someone else will have to help you.

hi old timer 1,wilbur,de fumar

iam on a pc but wot you are

saying still doesnt make

sence only thing i no

is how to turn the computer

thing on and off

thanks wilbur now i no i need afirewall

is there any thing else you think i can get or do

and ill try to get someone at my end to fix it

will this also sort that port thing

many many thanks

spatsman

Download and install zonealarm from the link i gave above. It will sort the port thing.

<stoned rant>

Every bit of information that arrives to your PC from the internet knows 2 details. Your IP address and a port number.

This address can be traced back to your computer.

Intenet mail analogy:

Think of the IP address as your house address.

Each program that requires net access on your computer has a port number and can be thought of as a member of the household. (there are 65,000 of these)

So when a piece of info (packet) arrives, it knows which house to go to and what member of the house it is destined for.

Port 80 is the http port which webservers and browsers use.

</stoned rant>

You should also scan for viruses and adware frequently, have a look at proxies. You can read about these in the internet security forum.

Wilbur

HI WILBUR HAVE DOWNLOADED FIREWALL

IT SAYS

FIREWALL HAS BLOCKED INTERNET ACESS

TO YOUR COMPUTER AND HAS LOTS OF NUMBERS

WILL NOT SHOW JUST INCASE

IF YOU NEED TO SEE THESE NUMBERS I WILL

POST THEM FOR YOU

THANKS SPATSMAN

• 2 weeks later...

HI DE FUMAR

SORRY ITS TAKEN SO LONG TO GET BACK TO YOU

\April 16/ typed in http//127.0.0.1

what was there was

all the music that has been

downloaded from my computer :magic:

spatsman

Ok Spatsman, looks like you are sharing all that music to everyone on the internet, was that set that up intentionally? I presume that you are either running windows 2000 pro or XP, if so then you probably have IIS installed, it is an optional windows component that turns your pc into a limited web server.

If you want to share your music files in this way, then you should really set up a password to prevent access by every tom dick or harry. If you don't want to share them at all, then remove IIS asap.

Here's a link that will give you some tips on windows security.

IIS is removed from within the "add/remove programs" section in windows control panel, look for "add/remove windows components".

DF

Edited by De Fumar