Weed and Depression

Mr-J

Medical weed is commonaly linked with pain relief, MS etc. what about depression.

I've suffered with this for about 12 months, and currently abstaining from smoking etc. Prozac seems to work for me at the moment, but I'd rather not use it due to (unpleasant, but bearable) side effects.

Any advice on which strains, sativa or indica, would be most welcome.

I've been smoking weed long before the reasons for my depression came about, so I don't think that is the problem, I know what the cause for it is, but I'd like to know if if weed has helped anyone with depression.

I've just started a new crop, so it would be a shame if I didn't benefit (although others would) from it

Yes, cannabis has done more than that for me. However you really need to see how it goes for you. I find cannabis works on many strange mysterious levels. I often find it very helpful, but sometimes in very indirect ways, like making me appreciate and talk to my family more. To me, being depressed is the inability to experience pleasure or enjoyment from anything, books TV, people etc. For me, smoking when feeling that is a nightmare with bells on top.

I know what it is like to have a bad trip on cannabis, and if I may make a suggestion, harvest your crop early slightly before the production peak, while the glands are still clear, doing this to get a very very very very happy and euphoric high that is not scramble the brain cells too much.

Mr-J

Welcome aboard M8. Depression can be helped by weed, and it can be made worse! Its all down to the individual I believe; take a browse around the forum, there's a couple of threads on this which I think you will find helpful

:stoned:

• 1 month later...

serratonin is a natural chemical in the brain, a lack of this substance is what leads to headaches whilst smoking weed, hash ect. Also leads to parranoia and skitzophrenia in the long term.

i have found that tea is a natural way to counteract this and increase serratonin levels, thus literally expanding your mind. dont like tea? then check out your local health store for products such as st john wort that can also help stimulate production of this chemical. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Mr-J

Are you suffering from depression? The reason I ask this question is this: if you are suffering from depression then there is a problem with your serratonin levels and the weed ain't gonna do anything for it.

The old quaks are very quick to diagnose depression when a lot of people, such as those physically or mentally abused as children or in house fires, parents death, anything, are really suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder. If this is the case, then another event in adult life can trigger the feelings you are going through.

The brain is a complex and powerful organ, and as I have said before, cannabis is a state of mind. You can use it to enhance yourself emotionally. Even a trip where you are the best player in the team and you score two world cup final injury time goals to make it England 15 Germany 14 is good for your moral. Anything that cheers you up is far better than being reminded why your not feeling so well, but as always, there is some underlying problem that needs to be addressed. Unfortunatly, we don't really get the help we need from the NHS because it is not about addressing the real problem of the patient, it is about waiting lists. I have found that you are far better off being totally honest with yourself, and taking responsibility for your own mental health. It is not easy, but neither is popping a prozac and accepting what is basically a false world.

Buddism is a good place to start. Life today is all about ownership, power and greed. We need time to relax and evaluate what is really important in our lives, and I suspect good health and happy relationships are by far top of most peoples lists.

Good luck Mr-J

• 1 month later...
Medical weed is commonaly linked with pain relief, MS etc. what about depression.

I've suffered with this for about 12 months, and currently abstaining from smoking etc. Prozac seems to work for me at the moment, but I'd rather not use it due to (unpleasant, but bearable) side effects.

Any advice on which strains, sativa or indica, would be most welcome.

I've been smoking weed long before the reasons for my depression came about, so I don't think that is the problem, I know what the cause for it is, but I'd like to know if if weed has helped anyone with depression.

I've just started a new crop, so it would be a shame if I didn't benefit (although others would) from it

heres the best advice i can give you (as a severe sufferer of depression and a weed user).

if prozac is working for you, then it indicates a malfunction in your serotonin system.

however much we like to sing the praises of medi-weed, i honestly believe (from personal experience) that weed affects your serotonin system in a negative way. ie it lowers your serotonin and brings you down (not good if you suffer serotonin-related depression)

i too, suffer the same problem due to the same reason (serotonin), and should not really smoke weed at all.

however, it does work very effectively on my anxiety, which i also suffer and is worse than my depression...

so, i choose to smoke dope for that reason, and take meds also to keep my depression away..

if im being honest, i probably shouldnt smoke at all.

• 2 months later...

I use weed for my depression - just put up a massive reply HERE about it on another topic.

DO NOT take St Johns Wort (or any other herbal/natural remedy) whilst still taking Prozac or any other SSRI (selective Seretonin Re-uptake Inhibitor), tri-cyclic etc. until you have checked with the pharmacist and/or your psychiatrist. These medications are serious stuff and can interact extremely badly with a whole manner of things that are normally labelled "natural/herbal etc.) - always get your psychiatrist and or pharmacist to check it out first - you do not want to be fucking around. There's lots of things you can do to help yourself - see my other post for some of the things that work for me - but the most important one is stay safe in every sense of the word.

Det

Edited by Detritus