Man Cuts Off Penis Because God Told Him To...

Midnite Rambler

It's very true, but if you had a child who you thought could be a great singer in the day, it was a consideration.

Indeed it was, and if you came from a poor family, and were living next door to starvation, then the whole thing is understandable even at such a mundane (dare one say "secular") a level.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arnold Layne

• Father McPot

• pete3867

• ganjafiend420

Guest dr rockster

The castrato's made by the Vatican are I think established fact Arnie.

There's been plenty of flagellelation throughout the ages as well,which is a type of mutilation I suppose.

But reading from Mathew(cheers 23),it's mind blowing that someone does something so extreme,based on a literal translation of a passage from the Bible.

I consider this religious extremism to the extreme.I can understanding fasting,which is still an intentional assault on the body,but not a nihilistic thing where the body is damaged.Fasting occasionally,even from a humanist secular point of view can have spiritual merit,if only to put into perspective the plenty of the West,with the extreme poverty in most of the world.

Culturally it's generally the poor woman is it not,that has to endure the knives of some form of religious piety,expressed as mutilation?

But reading from Mathew(cheers 23),it's mind blowing that someone does something so extreme,based on a literal translation of a passage from the Bible.

I consider this religious extremism to the extreme.I can understanding fasting,which is still an intentional assault on the body,but not a nihilistic thing where the body is damaged.Fasting occasionally,even from a humanist secular point of view can have spiritual merit,if only to put into perspective the plenty of the West,with the extreme poverty in most of the world.

Of course its extreme Doc R. But its not so hard to understand when you place yourself in the shoes of a person with a profound faith.

If you sincerely believe your eternal welfare is at stake, the sacrifice of a mere limb or organ may seem a small price to pay.

Female circumcision happens every day still; now I know its the womans right to do what she wants with her body; It's strange though how no one ever volunteers for the procedure as an adult if they some how managed to avoid it as a child...

DON'T CUT OFF YOUR NOSE TO SPITE YOUR FACE - "Vengeful rage has led to many pointless and foolish acts.but none so stupid as those in which we try to get back at someone else by punishing ourselves.The current proverb was first recorded about 1200 as a Latin saying, 'He who cuts off his nose takes poor revenge for a shame inflected upon him.'." From "Wise Words and Wives' Tales: The Origins, Meanings and Time-Honored Wisdom of Proverbs and Folk Sayings Olde and New" by Stuart Flexner and Doris Flexner (Avon Books, New York, 1993). "By 1788 Peter Grose was defining it in his 'Classical Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue: 'He cut off his nose to be revenged of his face, said of one who, to be revenged of his neighbour, has materially injured himself.'" From "Dictionary of Cliches" by James Rogers (Wings Books, Originally New York: Facts on File Publications, 1985).

NSS :yinyang:

I think it's amazing how men, who believe that their God created them perfect and in his image, would deliberately emasculate and/or mutilate themselves.

I think it's amazing how men, who believe that their God created them perfect and in his image, would deliberately emasculate and/or mutilate themselves.

maybe they think why on earth would an omnipresent god have a willy? for like, what? having a pee or pleasuring Mrs.God?

Edited by roger