Our "rights"

Guest Gert Lush

Guest Gert Lush
"Rights" seems an attractive proposition to the weak and an opportunity for spin to the powerful.

Some interesting ideas there, sid, but then how do you define the "weak" and the "powerful"?

Does your definition not imply that it's the inevitable "fate" of the weak to be oppressed?

And how is it that you include yourself in the "weak"?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HvyFuel

• Hir

• Twenty Three

• Mr. Jolly

As I see it rights are rooted in man's better nature - our sense of justice and fair play. We debate and define them. Any one see Ming's speech to the Lib-Dem conferance on having a bill of rights - including environmental rights? Everyone has the right to clean air, water, unpoluted soil etc? To me these are new conceptions of 'rights' but they instinictivly seam right - as they appeal to notions of fairness and justice.

I doubt any right would help you from the "sociopathic homodical maniacs", but they sure as hell can protect you from the government, police/judicary etc.