Prohibitionist Myths Debunked

HvyFuel

Hvy how goes it....

I forwarded on your writings to a neurology anthropologist DR friend(hope you dont mind) of mine here is what he said

"Sounds about right to me, processing so much data always lead to a variety of differing assumptions being formed, and if some these have a political rationale behind them then they tend to be promoted as fact. The common link between alcohol and depression is an example, but the 'fact' that there is a statistically reliable link between alcohol and depression does not make such an assumption a valid one. For example, another factor could be that those those who use alcohol and become depressed are inclined to to become depressed because they are the ones who most typically have trouble dealing with issues in life, such as poverty, emotional distress, shit job or many other factors, depression may be an inevitable outcome for their failing to deal with these concerns effectively and alcohol may be used as some type of ineffective strategy to deal with these underlying issues. In this way alcohol use is not the cause of depression but merely a symptom of it! I think you might find a similar thing going on in those links that relate dope to mental illness. Medicine plays a big role in attempting to control populations within a political expression, the government sees drug use as an expression of the individual, and such expression are always dangerous to controlling systems, medicalising the issue is an attempt to give them (government) the higher moral ground and our belief in medicine makes us think that what doctors say must be right. Once again medicine is used not as a valid and objective wisdom but as a political tool to control populations. It really is all about control."

My answer- just roll an other fat one and let the world drift by... :D

Two snippets regarding rates of schizophrenia over the past 40 or so years:

1: Robin Murray has made a lot of the figures obtained by his hospital in South London. It is, he claims, the only hospital to keep accurate records of the rates of serious mental illness in a coherent way over that time period and they show a doubling of rates. This is in South London, an area which has seen massive changes in the past 40 years, many of them in factor which would count as risk factors for mental illness such as stress and family break-up, possibly diet. Also of course, the ethnic profile has changed and there has been an increase in the use of all other drugs, especially cocaine. During this time cannabis use increased from almost nothing to almost the norm. Even Prof Murray doesn't claim this increase is all down to cannabis.

2: The study by Keele University for the ACMD cannabis review last year apparently found a decrease nationally in the rates of psychosis over the past 40 years. At the time the Home Office said they would publish that research later int eh year, but never did. The story was leaked in the Guardian.

Derek

With respect to Dr Murray the results of any study which is restricted to one hospital, or even one area, only shows the rates for that hospital/area. I doubt Dr Murray would suggest he'd obtain the same results in Cheshire, for example. Also, his staff may be slightly over zealous, in these times of funding restrictions, in listing possible symptoms of 'psychosis' which validate their work.

The synopsis of the study by Keele would make interesting reading. The main problem being that any single study cannot be used as absolute proof. Some studies say serious mental illness has increased, some say it has decreased. The authors and architects of all studies have their own purposes for doing them. It's only by doing what Newcastle Uni did in studying the studies and applying the same stipulations on them all that you can find a general truth in them. And the general truth is that there has been no real change in the rates of schizophrenia, and related serious mental illness, throughout the world since the studies began.

It's only by doing what Newcastle Uni did in studying the studies and applying the same stipulations on them all that you can find a general truth in them.

And of course "Familial Predisposition for Psychiatric Disorder" Comparison of Subjects Treated for Cannabis-Induced Psychosis and Schizophrenia, Mikkel Arendt, MScPsych, PhD; Preben B. Mortensen, DrMedSc; Raben Rosenberg, DrMedSc;

Carsten B. Pedersen, MSc; Berit L. Waltoft, MSc - a study from Denmark. Basically gets pretty close to demonstrating no causal link with canna. I have the paper on UKCIA in the research section, but I'm not allowed to link to it.

Derek

excellent article, the only constructive criticism i would make is regarding the line "And they say there is no hypocrisy in the Misuse of Drugs Act, ho, ho." this line is not in keeping with the rest of the article and detracts from the very professional approach of the whole article.

i will be quoting this article in future arguments/discussions i will be having that's for certain. Thank you.

S'alright, I'm not a professional. I did a cable laying course in Wandsworth and qualified as a Level 2 Learning Mentor in Walton though, do they count?

I can't write about prohibition without at least one snide comment. My fingers just won't let me do it.

:wassnnme:

Edited by HvyFuel

S'alright, I'm not a professional. I did a cable laying course in Wandsworth and qualified as a Level 2 Learning Mentor in Walton though, do they count?

I can't write about prohibition without at least one snide comment. My fingers just won't let me do it.

lol

Not far from you mate if you live near there and its not a snide comment, its sarcasm (more intelligent than snide B) )

• 5 months later...
found on wiki. Anyone know if it's accurate?

not accurate, khat is more harmful than they are saying, and cannabis is less (but you knew that really didn't you!)

Here's a bit of a smoking gun from the Drug War Factbook:

post-37273-1229002429_thumb.jpg

hxxp://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/

eddie, that is a fantastic piece of statistics, well found!

• 8 months later...

Great thread, I have my own little theory on what causes Mental Illness; Civilisation.

• Like 3