soil

vek

hi 2 all on 420 , i have just been given 75 liters of arthur bowers multi purpose compost, i have never used this before, any one out there used it? i useuly use john innes\perlite mix........................please let me know.ttfn :D

vec Arthur bowers multi purpose compost has a chemical base fertiliser like JI so its not organic! The base fertilisers used are not as strong as in JI so you will need to start liquid feeding 2 or 3 weeks after your plants go into their final pots. You shouldn't need to add any perlite as it is an open peat based compost with added sand/grit giving adequate drainage. If you want to use organic liquid feed, earth juice would be best for this compost.

This same advise goes for Levingtons and B&Q universial composts.

• 1 month later...

Hello Joolz,

I've been looking round various garden centres, nursery's , diy shops, ect and most do an organic compost. But all the ones I've seen say they are made from rotted down wood chippings and are very corse and open not a nice structure (made a little hole in the bags to have a look not impressed), the blurb on the back off the B&Q one even said that plants grown in this compost may grow slower than the conventional comps and extra feeding early on would be needed, put me off a bit. Don't know about the Homebase one might be different, but doubt it!

Suppose it would be better if you could mix with untreated chemical medium, peat, coir or add sand/grit and some clean loam, just an idea.

Think I'm going to try some of the BioBizz organic compost, and feed for flowering. Bit more pricey at £10 for 50L.

Bud Brother. :ghost:

Biobizz All-mix, worth every one if its very many pennies! So too the Bio-Bloom.

Yes its pricey, but when you weigh it up against the results, you'll reach for the phone to order another, for sure!

:ninja:

Yes its pricey, but when you weigh it up against the results, you'll reach for the phone to order another, for sure!

Have to second that AL.

Bud Brother, check out the results for yourself. This is my first grow using All-Mix .... and boy am I one happy bunny in the field.

Peace

SC

Right that's me sold! BioBizz it is then, all the way and no looking back. Organics here I come!

SpaceCadet, looking good mate! B)

Your plants really do look healthy, no stress or nutrient probs like some Hydro/chemical grow that get posted up, and all on your first grow with organics. Spot on!

All the best,

Bud Brother :ninja:

Hello All

Think I have finally pinned down my problems - crap compost!!

Got myself a soil tester kit and tested my soil - result - depleted in all 3 basic nutrients.

Not too surprised because they have been feeding off it for a few weeks - but I did run into problems within 2 weeks when the compost should have had enough nutes.

Decided to do a test on the fresh compost out of the bag - guess what - depleted in all 3 basic nutrients. BTW this was B&Q Innes No. 3 and the other from the garden centre was not el cheapo!

I think what is happening here is the same as the food ( ****) we are eating e.g. milk today - cheese tomorrow - no maturity - you cannot make good compost in factory in a week!!

Next time I will do a test on the fresh compost b4 I even think of using it.

S.

Not at all - though I would love to give it an evaluation and know for sure.

What if we got enough people together to run tests on fresh compost from all the major suppliers/ brands and compiled a table so we all could know just what we are getting.

Maybe a list of major brands - we select one each and publish the results?

Any ideas?

S.

• 1 year later...

As a belated follow up to my enquiry about Homebase Organic Compost, I did use it for one grow, and combined with a weekly feed of fish waste from my aquarium, it helped to produce some stunning looking Cali Orange B)

post-109-1065902721_thumb.jpg

On the downside , it smoked like shit which was probably more due to naff Nirvana genetics, than any thing Lord Sainsbury might have added to his own brand compost ( this time at least) ;)

I would definately use it again, but everytime I go for some, they have sold out

Coulpa questions for ya J lol

Did ya have to add owt to it? Or would you have added summat if ya grew in it agian?

And what nutes were ya using when ya grew the Cali?

lol

Coulpa questions for ya J ;)

Did ya have to add owt to it? Or would you have added summat if ya grew in it agian?

nope, never added nothing, but I might be tempted to add a bit of perlite if i use it in the future lol

And what nutes were ya using when ya grew the Cali?

lol

same as i've always used

Fish waste and maxicrop, so i know it wasn't that that made the cali all looks and no blow lol