GrowDrobe.. sliding doors .. any advice welcome

Subliminal Criminal

hi

I have rearranged my room and have gained extra space. My 1x1x2m tent is sitting in an alcove in the corner of my room. The alcove is more than twice that size (sorry i havnt measured it properly yet)

Last night while i coudnt sleep i kept picturing the alcove being boxed off by some of those sliding door, built in type of wardrobe.

Of course i could buy a wardrobe but it dosnt really make sense as i have little need for all the fixtures and fittings inside.

I had a look on the web, and at B&Q, and was thinking of using there sliding doors and rails, and inside building some kind of cabinet, i reckon theres space for a veg area, a flower area, possibly a drying area and room left to store stuff.

I need to build a frame, i thought some old pallets might work, with a steel rail (or two) running underneath the top for hanging fillter fans and reflectors etc.

On the floor i would make a lower recessed level and maybe line it with some pond liner. The ceiling above cut be cut through for ventilation without a big gaping hole being obvious!

I would probably then enclose each section with plywood or mdf, so some plants can veg while the others are flowering. Decking boards might be cheaper than ordinary wood?

And finally line the whole room with Mylar.

It might cost a grand to do all this though. But it would be great to see nothing but wardrobe on the exterior, until you slide open the doors and are instantly teleported into the jungle!

Any thoughts?

regards

Juicy

Morning juicyfruit,

Sounds similar to how it is at mine,

I bought a wardrobe, that fit almost perfect in the space then kept all the floor, fixings and back off, put to one side in case I want to us them at a later date. So it's just the face on show. Then built a box to go inside it going right to the back of the alcove.

Didn't go through the ceiling as I'm not sure how long I'll be here.

Could be easily done with slider too tho, like you say, just batten the frame out then attach the doors and away you go ;)

Atb mate

✌️

Edited by Mr PM

No worries mate,

Let us know how you get on.

The one thing I would say about this route, is I wish id taken mine full height, it's abit restricted in a standard wardrobe.

If it was my house I'd have plaster boarder right to the ceiling

✌️

Well B&Q got the glass sliding doors i want, they come in a pack of two and with the runners to mount them on, for 120 quid. Gonna try and get some old pallets for the frame, save money.. and get some plywood, might get some insulation, the loft kind.. Or do you think that might trap heat and raise temps? I just want to silence the whole operation! Maybe acoustic insulation would be better..

If i do it right i could all look, very professional...

Sounds good mate,

Although the baton is super cheap, and you can get it cut to size,

I only say this as I was gonna use pallets for a garden project In the summer, and after tracking them all down, trying to get the same size and then pull them apart, it was so much easier and probably cheaper in the long run to just nip down the hardware store and spend 20/30 quid, just my 2p ;)

For my internal box I used double wall 9mm ply and and filled the cavity with loft insulation. Works great, it does keep the heat abit (a good thing this time of year ;) )

Then down to your ventilation the rest of the year, this I my first gro so can't really say what it would be like in the height of summer.

Keeps noise right down, Barr the whooshing you get from the ducting.

No reason it wouldn't mate, just keep all the nastiness on the inside ;)

I personally wouldn't use pallets, I know its a way of saving money, but spending £120 on just sliding doors seems alot, even if stealth is very important.

Breaking up pallets can be a pain plus you don't really know what might be living in them if stored outside, so I wouldn't trust it imo.

I have built a loft groom and a veg cab so I guess you want something in between. I used celotex, kingspan and quinn insulation as well as normal loft insulation on a roll. I lined the walls with plasterboard which gaves me a total thickness of 150mm, which keeps things well insulated and quieter. I personally wouldn't use MDF as it can expand with moisture and can give off a gas if it gets warm/hot.

Alternatively, I would look at the silver, bubble wrap type insulation. It ranges from airtec double insulation for £100 for 50m to the cheaper B&Q stuff which is about £8 a roll. I used this for my veg cab and it works really well.

I learned and made my decisions based on what others have done on here, so good luck deciding!

Hope this helps, cheers, Mental.

with the plants in full flower they could stink the house out, and we all know thats how people usually get caught.. perhaps i could run tents inside or some mylar or some kind of fabric between the sliding doors and the cabinet itself? you know like the front of a grow tent. Anyone got any ideas?