New Grow Room Calculator

BluePixie

BluePixie_Growroom_Calc_v0.4.htm

Evening all,

Couldn't be bothered with what I was supposed to be doing this afternoon (boring work stuff...... :( ) so on a whim thought I'd do a new Growroom Calculator type thing.......

It was made in excel and converted to javascript/html. Simply click on the attachment and then enter your growroom dimensions in metres and your ambient intake temperature in celsius.

The output includes a recommended HPS light wattage, plus a minimum fan capacity to keep that space at 28 degrees with the light on. Thanks to Daviie for sharing the temp diff/wattage/fan capacity equation..........

If you are still imperial 1 foot = 0.3metres, 1 inch = 0.025metres.

Mods please let me know if any problem posting this......suggestions for improvement are welcome but will have to be quick - my conversion software is a 30 day free trial..........

Enjoy BP..... :stoned:

BluePixie_Growroom_Calc_v0.3.htm

Edited by bart
  • Like 6

No worries guys. Some notes on the calculation ateps for those that are interested.

From dimensions it works out grow area and volume.

Then it makes a HPS wattage recommendation aiming at 600w/square metre.

(I may make a version that warns about headroom issues if height is under 1m and suggests flourescents.)

Then from the volume of the of the room it works out a minimum fan capacity to change air every 3 minutes (same as existing grow room tools).

(Vulume in cubic metres x 20)

But it also works out the minimum actual fan capacity to keep the room at 28 degrees, given wattage of lights and intake temp. This will usually be higher.

Fan Capacity (cubic metres / hour) = (Wattage/(1.2 x (28-intake temp)))x3.6

Next step is the real fudge. Suggests a rated fan capacity assuming 50% flow loss rate from CF and ducting, and then suggests a model of Ruck based on the stats as per Greens Horticulture pages........

BP

:D, works a treat, i just put in my new tent size and it advised 400w hps (i have one) but slightly bigger fan than i have, so i will sort that,

thx again

lol Thanks, very nice work dude. :D

;) ooops.. looks like I should be running a 150w in my tiny space... not a 250w after all ..heh,, f*ck it.. ;)

Great Calculator BluePixie, nice skills with the scripting :yep:

Cheers Goldie_2007 - The design and the functions (lots of nested IFs) were done in excel - conversion software was used to make the javascript version, so I can't take credit for that.

It wants me to put 1800 Watts into a Budbox XXL - yikes. Very clever though... :D

I think Green's rate the bud box XXL upto 2000w - Owd recommends 2 x 600w with top end shades for best coverage. The 1800W recommendation is in between and based purely on the floor space that needs be covered. What have you put in yours?

Thanks for the rest of the feedback guys.....I'm sure a few peeps are wondering how a crappy CFL grower is making calculators for HPS grows.......but basically I have researched a lot over the last couple of years and mentally fitted out 1/2 a dozen spaces in my house that the other half wouldn't actually let me grow in.......... lol .......

Version 0.4 attached - I think this will be the last one. Tweaked the wattage recommendation and the headroom warning - it was giving false warnings for bigger grow spaces (like the XXL bud box). I'll ask mods to replace the first attachement again......sorry mods.... lol

BluePixie_Growroom_Calc_v0.4.htm

• Like 4

Doing little 'apps' like this has been one of my private hobbies for a while now.

I remember the first one I did was in VB, years ago, before I had even installed GNU/Linux. Then I did another one in python (I think), had a mess around with a java one, and finally a browser based one. (It's actually still live somewhere, in a mostly finished form, on a tor hidden server somewhere)

I'm currently having a little look at doing one in c, but I'll need to get some more time to study the language, and the intricacies of the gcc.

Your one looks pretty good, dude, I'll keep it handy.