How do i make my own organic Compost

Woody

Hey how's every1? i'm gettin info for next years outdoor grown and i'm wondering how do i make my own organic compost? i want my first proper grow to go wel so i lookin for the best way's.

Thanks peeps and happy tokin!

yea i want it for both, because i'm planning to plant them a month before u should inside, and then plant them outside i've been told that works, so hopefully it does

I assume what you are saying is you want to start your plants indoors in pots before the last frosts are over. If you are only doing a few just buy some organic universal compost and start your seedlings in this.

Start your outdoor plot by digging it over now in coarse lumps for the frost to work on over the winter.

Buy a plastic compost bin and use all the vegetable waste from your kitchen. Look here for bins:- http://www.straight.co.uk/products/homecomp.html

Here for info on composting info:-

http://www.getcomposting.com/guide.htm

By May time next year you can get a lot of compost made, use it for top dressing the soil round the plants.

Finally please don't post the same question in more than one forum.

• 5 years later...

is it ok to use cooked veg for the compost heap?

we regularly have bits n bobs left over (boiled spuds,carrots,brocolli etc) but looking at the info i can find on here i cant find a definate answer.

another forum about allotments that i been on lately most say yes its fine but then a few say no as it brings rats to your heap.

any1 here know if it will have any bad effects?

cheers

It can be used but it can attract rats to your heap. If its an open heap i wouldnt use them but if its enclosed go for it (just keep an eye out for those pesky rats)

Cooked or raw veg is not a problem in composting ... bad compost management is usually the cause of the rare occasions that rats occupy a compost bin or heap ...

Rats are opportunist !! if your rarely at your compost heap or pile and load it with food waste ... then it will go anaerobic (smell bad..without air) and rats or other unwanted guests will make up a home there ... the rat gets food and heat ....(rat Hilton)

By turning your compost bin or heap on a regular basis (min one time weekly) you will encourage aerobic conditions and faster composting ...

a little tip to make food waste compost faster .... get a small bag of composted tree bark (fine) and for every bucket of food waste add two buckets of the bark ....mix well and deep in your pile or bin... (2 inches)

don't worry about using lots the bark ... it breaks down very very slowly ... so it can be reused again and again ...so have two hot spots if you like and use them on rotation the food will be well gone with in two weeks ....

You should get about 9/12 months out a small bag of composted bark before u need more ... good value ...

good luck

Edited by ripthedrift

If you've got rats in your area, well aren't they everywhere there's a sewer system and urbanisation.

Ultrasonic emitters are cheap from garden stores nowadays and they work well, they can breed Resistance to toxins but can't breed out their cyclic range in hearing.

Once you've got a decent looking compost after a couple of months, adding Humate liquor really enriches it by accelerating Humic breakdown/biodegradation and so increasing the available nutrient composition in the organic matter bulk and increasing the amounts of Humic acids as well as specifically, Fulvic acid.

Not necessary but will really enrich a medium.

Same can be done to re-energise recycled composts and enrich cheap growbag composts etc, add solution and let mature for a month or two, turning or agitating once a week or two, really does the trick for nice rich medium from growbag compost or spent and recycled, you can add spent compost to your organic bulk pile as well, it all breaks down.

There's a few brands which have been used in conventional gardening for donkeys years, like Humax, but Grandma Enggys does a canna product, H2 Extra Pure, which i started using and is good stuff, 5Ml per litre is used for when irrigating plants but i use 10Ml and a tablespoon of Molasses to a litre and add that to 60-80litres of compost and fantastic addition to ones own compost, recycled compost or making cheap much better, money well spent because Humates really give plants health and vigour, that's well known.

Look into Humates/Humic acid matey, very interesting stuff.

[You can even make Humate liquor yourself, plenty of info out there.]

Paxus. :rofl:

High all,

It is really nice to start a composting pen man, I got mine started few years ago and I'm enjoying it and my plants enjoy that good ferts and I make some tea every week man.

It is a lot of fun if you know how to manage it, just start collecting organic shit around the house mate.

Good luck.

Dr

I rat-proofed my homemade composter with square mesh, the spacing is big enough to let worms in and small enough to keep rats out.

• 1 month later...
Cooked or raw veg is not a problem in composting ... bad compost management is usually the cause of the rare occasions that rats occupy a compost bin or heap ...

Rats are opportunist !! if your rarely at your compost heap or pile and load it with food waste ... then it will go anaerobic (smell bad..without air) and rats or other unwanted guests will make up a home there ... the rat gets food and heat ....(rat Hilton)

By turning your compost bin or heap on a regular basis (min one time weekly) you will encourage aerobic conditions and faster composting ...

a little tip to make food waste compost faster .... get a small bag of composted tree bark (fine) and for every bucket of food waste add two buckets of the bark ....mix well and deep in your pile or bin... (2 inches)

don't worry about using lots the bark ... it breaks down very very slowly ... so it can be reused again and again ...so have two hot spots if you like and use them on rotation the food will be well gone with in two weeks ....

You should get about 9/12 months out a small bag of composted bark before u need more ... good value ...

good luck

I also am wondering about making my own organic comp!.The councill dropped 2 black bins for it except i dont want unwanted guests like RATS!!iS IT TOO LATE IN THE YEAR TO START MY OWN COMP OFF?.I herd frost being mentioned and ive herd it takes a while for it to de-compose ect.If its going to attract rats then i think i mite have to just keep on buying it in?.

Edited by bodderas

I rat-proofed my homemade composter with square mesh, the spacing is big enough to let worms in and small enough to keep rats out.

Rats can chew through steel lol