Flushing

Sal

Just wanted to know when growing in soil do you still need to flush

in final stages of flowering. If yes when is the best time to stop

feeding and start flushing

and what are peoples ways of doing so

Hi saldo,

I do more or less the same as I did in hydro. That is I stop feeding one to two weeks before harvest.

I thing some people dont flush as long as I usualy do. I like it when all the leaves fall off.

Flushing is a weird term, a few years back it referred to what you did when you had a chemical salt build up mainly in rockwool slabs but also when over using chemical ferts in compost. ie running lots of water through the medium until all the built up fertiliser and crystallised salts were washed away.

Now it seems it also refers to starving plants during the last week or two of flowering. This of course gives an inferior product compared to what each plant is capable of producing within its genetic potential, ie: less psycoactivity and potency, much more CBD and CBN, less THC, less turpenes and finally lower final crop weight.

Some people in the hydro world now think that by running on just water that they can flush out excess chemicals from the plant by some form of reverse osmosis through the roots into the flushing water. Its amazing the myths that grow in the cannabis community.

Outdoors when growing in soil, where cultivated organically it is nearly impossible to remove any nutrients by rain or water running through the soil. It is only with modern farming practices, that huge amounts of chemical salts get flushed/washed from the soil into our water courses/rivers every time it rains. This happens with both chemicals and through the bad practice of slurry spreading.

• Like 2

OT

What would you suggest when finishing a Hydro crop then?

No more plain water, ...OK.

Still feed ferts?

Not full strength surely?

What about these 'new' clearing solutions they advertise now, are they any use?

:ouch:

saldo1 I feed as needed until I cut. Keep in mind I do not over feed and only use organic feeds.

Xizor1337 this is supposed to be an organic section, I’m not an expert on hydro but the principles hold true. The major expansion of bud growth happens at least a couple of weeks before they are ready to harvest, you can see when this has happened, after that it is better to have a ratio with lower levels of N and P but higher levels of K and of course lower levels of feed would be needed as the plants metabolism is winding down. Excess levels of residual P make the bud harder to burn and give a nasty taste in the mouth. Also it make the smoke many times more carcinogenic. Bud with low residual P burns to a white ash especially if it has a reasonable level of K, the more P the greyer the ash and the harsher the taste when burnt.

I couldn't say about flushing solutions, personally I would never feed a plant with anything if I did not know what all the ingredients were.

There is a difference between a starving plant that has to strip mobile nutrients from its leaves to survive and try and reproduce and a plant that has sufficient nutrients to grow old and age naturally. A plant short of nutrients looses the ability progressively to convert CBD to THC that and the fact that CBD degrades at a much lower rate than THC means you get an end product that is much higher in CBD, the effect of this is a more sedative stone rather than psychoactive. Look I’m not knocking this some people like a more somatic stone, but me I prefer to get high, something cerebral.

• Like 2

Thanx for the advice OT1 ive been feeding 40ml per 10 litre

biobiz bloom as a rule only fed twice so i will drop down to 30 ml now

saldo1 you can play a little with N|P|K ratios just useing the grow and bloom.

bl = 2|6|3.5

gr = 3|2|8

half and half = 2.5|4|5.8

one third gr and two thirds bl = 2.3|4.7|5

one third bl and two thirds gr = 2.7|3.3|6.5

Only approx ratios but to give you an idea the last one could be good say in the last week or so at 15 ml to 10 litres.

The grow formula is really good for producing great tasting tomatoes, nothing to do with puff I know but I grow a lot of veggies as well and there may be others interested.

• Like 2

In awe as always. No shock.

Stupid question here - grow and bloom? I presume you are referring to bio buzz? Can someone be kind enough to supply a link to a reputable online trader that delivers in the UK?

My water is, I suspect hard, and I need to invest in some nutes. I would LOVE a list of recommended solutions.

Grateful in advance,

Unit

• 3 years later...

Looks like I need to get the phosphate down ...

Odd that the American books all reccomend high phosphate ... something about their fertilisers designed for low phosphate soils or something. In the (very) old days I used to do funny stuff with african violet fertilser to try to copy the Peters formula.

I think if they havent got any by now Eri the plants will be dead seeing as the thread is 4 years old :ninja:

Owd

Edited by Owderb

I think if they havent got any by now Eri the plants will be dead seeing as the thread is 4 years old lol

Owd

What? Bio Bizz ? A fine range of products available as I speak in the UK420 store.

NSS :ninja:

I was going to ask simular questions regarding this 'flushing' business mainly cos I use Bio Bizz grow n bloom and even after a proper drying process and cured for 6 months up to a year in some cases the smoke is harsh (mega cough cough :smoke: ). So I thought leaving out the feed in say the last 2 weeks might solve this. Anyway I've read the old posts and Bish and OT have it right.

NSS :spliff: