A Quick Comparison Between Rockdusts

Felix Dzerzhinsky

Just did a quick comparison between these two RockDust's, not meant as a criticism of either fine product just a compare and contrast for those who are considering either.

I took a scoop of each

post-17084-1193498334_thumb.jpg

Here's a close up of the Pinetum.

post-17084-1193498472_thumb.jpg

And here is the SEER

post-17084-1193498506_thumb.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randalizer

• Felix Dzerzhinsky

• Arbuscule

• Davey Jones

Hi Felix,

I've never used rock dust but am going to give it ago on my next grow. What do the two different pictures tell us about the products?

Mr P

Edited by Mr P

Here they are after running through a flour seive

SEER first up.

post-17084-1193498733_thumb.jpg

Pinetum

post-17084-1193498767_thumb.jpg

Out of interest I weighed the samples

Pinetum

Gravel - 60.4g

Fine - 104.6g

SEER

Gravel - 86.8g

Fine - 83.0g

Hope this helps anyone considering which one to purchase.

Felix.

H Mr P & HH,

The SEER one seems to have move gravel sized particles and they seem to be larger in size. When looking at the weights the Pinetum one has a lot more fine particles that can be used quicker by Mycorrhizal fungi rather than gravel sized particles which on our timescales are likely to be inert.

e2b more friendly.

Edited by felix_dzerjinski

H Mr P & HH,

The SEER one seems to have move gravel sized particles and they seem to be larger in size. When looking at the weights the Pinetum one has a lot more fine particles that can be used quicker by Mycorrhizal fungi rather than gravel sized particles which on our timescales are likely to be inert.

e2b more friendly.

Thanks Felix :smug:

Nice one Felix,

That confirms OT's contention about diffarences between the two products in terms of texture. Think he said it's due to the size of the final grate/sieve that it's riddled through. Also the two products come from diffarent quarries.

Both however are basically ground volcanic rock - basalt, loaded with mineral goodies. OT states that either product is good, though Pinetum is better.

I'm posting this cos I spent ages on this one, and was glum when I realised how hard rock dust is to get hold of, particularly Pinetum.

Each manufacturer's website has helpful material and links, including how to source each product. Check out the pics of organic veg grown with rockdust and the scary stats on how much of our fruit and veg's minerals have been lost over the past 5 decades. Guess that isn't spamming cos I can't remember which site has the pics, and which the scary stats! They're both easily googleable though, and it's definately worth the two minuits it takes.

Pinetum seems to be better (Felix explained why)but seems difficult to get hold of; Seers is hard enough. They're both orderable on line but obviously delivery charges are a big factor when it comes to 20kg sacks! I've only got the Seers but had to make a 50mile round trip to get that (furthest I've been in a year)- hope the plants appreciate my efforts. After reading threads on here and seeing the visual evidence of organic veg I was persuaded that an exhausting journey would be worth it for my plants, even for the 'lesser' of the two products

Anyway, thanks Felix, OT1 and others for making the rest of us aware of this.

Cheers all,

Arbusule

e2a - I'll get 'riddling' my rockdust then as I don't want to be chucking big inert boulders in

Edited by Arbuscule

Guest dr rockster

Sorry chaps,I'm a total fungal 'iggerant'.

How do you use this gear?

We are talking rocks int we? Are these rock particula that have neen innoculated with beneficial fungal spores or summink,or as a substrate for fungal mycelia?

Rockster :(

Hi Doc,

rather than repeat what's already been said have a read of this. It's basically just crushed basaltic rock that contains a vast amount of minerals (think it's got pretty much every element there is). If you've used a fungal inoculant like RootGrow then they will be able to absorb the minerals from the Rockdust and in turn pass them onto your plants.

Felix.

Penny dropping here too Felix,

I hadn't thought of the Rockdust and Rootgrow etc working together before. Guess it's a matter of seeing the compost plus additives in a Holistic way as a living environment ? That makes more sense of it. Thank you for the further clarification.

Cheers,

Arbuscule

Loads of pennies dropping there

Think EM2 has feked up

I never sieved my rockdust before adding I just got a beefy handful and whirled it in

Do you crush the gravel particles back up, surely would be a waste to chuck it out

EM2

Hi EM2,

In my limited understanding the bigger grittier particles of Rockdust won't do much harm, but might not do much good as the plants won't be able to use the minerals from big chunks of rockdust in the short time we grow in pots.

All the usual disclaimers apply but I'm hoping that's right; someone will soon correct me if not

I was lucky, my Seers was'nt too chunky. That said, please don't tell Ms Arbus that I used the kitchen seive !

Cheers,

Arbuscule

Good thread felix :)

Loads of pennies dropping there

Think EM2 has feked up

I never sieved my rockdust before adding I just got a beefy handful and whirled it in

No you don't sieve it at all mate! felix has only sieved it to show us the difference between the two. :wink:

Thank you VRG,

My bad :yahoo: . Still, the one thing I was right on was that someone better informed would correct any mistake.

Cheers,

Arbuscule